• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Is Anyone Selling A Lens Protector For That Goofy Camera Lens In The Back?

I have to follow up with disheartening news. My photos were looking extremely grainy and lacked sharpness. The only thing that changed was installing the lens protector. I took it off to test and my photos improved dramatically to the point where they now look great again, they are sharp. It's a letdown because now I need to find another way to protect the lens without covering it up. Sorry to anyone thinking about giving this a try. For reference I had the Phantom Skinz on it that I removed.

Upvote 0
I have to follow up with disheartening news. My photos were looking extremely grainy and lacked sharpness. The only thing that changed was installing the lens protector. I took it off to test and my photos improved dramatically to the point where they now look great again, they are sharp. It's a letdown because now I need to find another way to protect the lens without covering it up. Sorry to anyone thinking about giving this a try. For reference I had the Phantom Skinz on it that I removed.

maybe a hard plastic one would work better

Upvote 0
maybe a hard plastic one would work better
I agree and that's what my next attempt will be. I picked up a 3 pack of hard transparent protectors today at Walmart, they were Case-Mate and $8 for the pack. The issue is that I can't find anything other than a standard size hole punch and ideally I'd like to cover more of the lens than that. What's odd is that Erix said he used a standard hole punch but the piece on his lens looks a lot larger than that.

Upvote 0
Great success today. I went on the hunt for a hole puncher to cut out a piece of the clear Case Mate protector I bought at Walmart. Since I wanted to cover as much of the lens as possible while not going over the metal outer rim, I needed something that could punch a larger hole than a standard single hole punch. I found a leather punch kit at Michaels and brought it home because it had a much larger punch tool than the standard paper punches I was seeing. I tried the leather punch and it simply could not perforate through the screen protector, those things are surprisingly robust. Back to Michaels it went and I tried Office Max. Through trial and error I found a 3 hole punch that cut a slightly larger diameter hole than the single hole punches I had been trying. I got it home and it cut through the screen protector with ease. I applied this small new protector to the lens and headed outside for photo tests.

I'm very happy to report that my images look great! I can see no effect from this protector at all, compared to the Phantom Skinz protectors I had cut it was night and day. It's staying firmly in place on the lens because it's cut slightly smaller and lies nice and flat only on the glass and doesn't touch any of the metal surrounding the lens. Now I don't have to worry at all about my lens because the protector covers the important clear area.

Upvote 0
Odd... I measured the hole that my puncher makes. It's 6.5mm - 7mm which is pretty standard.

It is odd but I confirmed this by trying several different punchers at Office Max. The single punch hand grip style cut a smaller hole than some of the 3 hole punchers. When I took one of the pieces of paper that the 3 hole puncher punched out, it completely overlapped the hole in the paper that the single hand grip puncher made. Anyway thanks for your help, your photo inspired me to go on this quest and now my lens problem is solved. BTW my lens protector looks to be identically sized to the one on your lens so you have one of those punchers that cuts the slightly larger hole.

Upvote 0
how is the picture quality at 8mb? i added my a left over piece of my zagg and it made the pics more grainy and hazy.
I found the same to be true. Pictures taken with the Phantom Skinz applied were grainy. But pictures taken with the clear Case-mate protector applied were clear.

Here's 2 photos, the first is with the Phantom Skinz applied and the second is with the Case-mate applied:

Attachments

• Phantom.jpg
    Phantom.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Casemate.jpg
    Casemate.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 44
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones