• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root is Drakaz giving up?

lets be honest, if I was to write an app from scratch today, i'd make sure it runs on 1.6, and 2.0.X as this would cover the majority of the installed userbase.

Apart from the galaxy, what other phones are "stuck" on 1.5 only?? what percentage of users is this?

Maybe things are different over in Europe but as far as I know here in the East...

HTC Hero (1.6 coming soon, no idea when)
HTC Magic (Still on 1.5, Sense UI update pushed to everyone) [288MB RAM Magic]
Our beloved i7500
HTC Tattoo

Upvote 0
We're ranting because Samsung is giving an impression that it is not going to do that at all.

If they are working on it, it is ludicrous not to announce that, especially when HTC has announced its intentions and especially when users are demanding an answer.

If they still have not decided, whether or not they are going to start working on update, this is just as bad as if they haven't released it at all, as in this case the update will be much delayed, and by the time it comes out, Google may be realising yet another milestone, which will yet again render Samsung's efforts useless.

It will all convert into a game of catching up with Google's releases which Samsung will win.

Upvote 0
Maybe things are different over in Europe but as far as I know here in the East...

HTC Hero (1.6 coming soon, no idea when)
HTC Magic (Still on 1.5, Sense UI update pushed to everyone) [288MB RAM Magic]
Our beloved i7500
HTC Tattoo

They're working on 2.0 for Hero, HTC has announced it officially on Twitter.
And since the Magic is exactly the same hardware as the Hero, XDA will have a rom in no time.
Keep in mind that they're adding Sense too..

I learned my lesson this time and my next device will be a HTC for sure, just for XDA...

Upvote 0
Not at all, I just think it stupid that people are posting on here to rant at Samsung for not releasing a 2.0 upgrade when no other manufacturer has yet either.

I'll be ranting as much as anyone come next year if Samsung don't offer an update though ;)

Exactly my thoughts, I'm much more quiet since I heard about Sprint announcing Samsung Moment will get 2.0 "first half of 2010". If, as stated in another thread where kam explains the problem for moving to 1.6-2.0 is the propietary rild Samsung is using for ALL their phones, I think they would be infinitely stupid not to take the Galaxy to 2.0 too...

Anyway I expect this "first half of 2010" to turn into March or something earlier than next summer.

Upvote 0
Maybe not, but he's more likely to want to spend his time developing stuff for the Acer... or the Archos 5 he seems keen on.

There will be at least one new Galaxo version and Recovery 4.5 coming in some time, then I suppose he wouldn't have anything to add to Galaxo as long as Samsung wouldn't release some new, better firmware.

how does he test his builds?
He can use the other guys' devices.

Upvote 0
There will be at least one new Galaxo version and Recovery 4.5 coming in some time, then I suppose he wouldn't have anything to add to Galaxo as long as Samsung wouldn't release some new, better firmware.

Has he said this?

I'm just wondering about using the 1.1.1 GalaxHero update but I prefer the supposedly faster Galaxo. I'd also like to see the custom roms support IK4 but if he's moving to other devices this is less likely to happen.

Guess I'll wait and see..

Upvote 0
He said that on irc some weeks ago (about new versions). According to his twitter he was away on holiday and came back, he said that after vacations he'll continue work on new recovery and IK4 Galaxo (GH possibly too?), but IK4 is bugged and there will possibly be the beta version of new rom before final. He's now trying to root Tattoo btw. Well it's ok for me if he hacks on more unpopular devices when there's really not that much to do with Galaxy at the moment.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones