• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is every DX owner a 'techie'?

I am a techie person. I do know people who are not techies and own a droidx or other android devices. I know some people want the new droid pro that are blackberry users. Most of the issue with battery life extends from newbies that just download anything and everything from the market because on the RIM app store the free apps were few and far between. They won't realize that leaving 10+ apps that are active, like IM clients, social networking apps, etc, will have a major impact to battery life.

One thing though about Verizon is that the few times I have been in their store or spoke to people who bought android phone from them have always been told to download task killer to help with the battery life.

Though, it is kind of ridiculous that it mainly helps with the preloaded bloatware they put on it in the first place. In all reality though, its all due to some Verizon exec that made deals to include other apps on the phone and they don't give a care about the "Small people".

To me the droidx has a very good battery life, if you know how to manage it. I just had mine off the charger for over 24 hours on accident last night. After 24 hours it had 40% battery life and lasted until I hit work and plugged it in and still had 30% life. I was listening to music and using the net while riding into work today.

I am running rooted on 2.2, but I have not modified any files as I feel Moto will be releasing some sort of update for the Dx in the not to distant future.

Upvote 0
Although I don't have a DX, I'm going to answer since this seems like a fun thread :)

I think being a techie is a perceived thing. I know I'm nowhere near the level of techieness that some of the members that I look up to here are. So, I don't see myself a a techie. I love Android and love to learn how it's growing/developing so I read a lot on it. I know my friends would consider me a techie since I can talk about the processors, the phone's speed, what screen is being used, the sensor and all the apps that make my phone work and these would go over their head. Actually...I've been told to STFU by them a few times when I get heated in explaining Android to them -_-;;

Though I will say I am a big fat TECH NERD (I'm thinking lower than a techie but tech knowledge is above the average user) :D lol.

I think the age old argument that "Blackberries last longer because they do less" is true. For one, most blackberries have smaller screens. This alone saves a lot of battery. Just ask storm users, they tell you that they get horrible battery life compare to their other blackberries like the bold or tour. It's just the way it is.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Android runs widgets and background apps that are constantly pulling data and updating info on your screen. That also takes alot of juice.

Also, adding to this is that the content in a BB's browser is compressed, so it requires less power to load a page on a BB then on your Android phone.

Upvote 0
I'm the same way. I'm a systems admin at my company and am comfortable working with windows and linux but for some reason I'm hesitant to root and deodex my phone. I suppose the main reason is I don't feel like dealing with bricking it or just having problems in general but at the same time the performance is so good with the stock phone I don't feel compelled either.
Me three, another systems admin here. See no need to root or ROM, same reason I don't feel compelled to overclock CPU's at work. I think tinkerer is a great description, and I am definitely not one of those.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones