• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is it art?

Is it Art?
I'm still undecided, but suspect my answer will be a definite "no"; Numerous things about it make me uneasy;

Convince me otherwise.

Finally, I have to wonder if someone (like our host) would see any beauty in the code? Or were they just utility grade "cocktail napkin doodles" by bored programmers? Is it a simple trick to "crack them open" and study such code, or more trouble than it's worth, even for someone with the skills to do so?

Willing to be convinced, but "is it art?".......Mehh.

They're just bitmaps, consisting of a few pixels. Deceptively simple, but I suspect that some might have problems creating an image which represents a recognisable object, given so little to work with. I admire the minimalism. Some of those icons are quite intricate, and they all convey some kind of information. It required a creative mind to come up with the ideas. There's definitely a skill to it.

So I would consider the above to be art. It requires a level of creative talent, and ability to instantaneously convey a meaning to the viewer. On a similar note, I would also class this iconic (in every sense) image as art:

invader.jpg

Upvote 0
^^^^^^???????^^^^^^^^
First thought......."Space Invaders"?

Won't dispute "skill", "creative", "talent", admirable in their minimalism; And can't begin to speak to the code; I wonder if there aren't a dozen different ways to render each one, some more beautiful and elegant in their code than others?
But I chuckle at "Instantly convey some meaning to a viewer".........Had I not been told the purple blob (second column, fourth row) is intended to mean "art", I don't think I would have gotten it. I guess it's a paint pallette? Some works of art are more successful than others, some emoji in the set more successful than others. :p

I'm still struggling to call it art, much less "permanent collection" worthy......(And if I didn't flap my gums, who would I get to argue with me)? :p

Recently heard an interview with a senior curator on the museum staff, discussing the addition of the emojis to the permanent collection at NY MoMA:
(Falsely referring to them as "these objects)......
"If you think about it; Let's face it, we can't live without emojis, so..........."

Seriously? I can't think of any single work of art ever created, that we simply couldn't live without. I think humanity would be diminished if the Sistine Chapel were never built; When the ceiling collapses some day, it will be a great loss; If the Mona Lisa were to burn up tomorrow, it would be a bummer. But the idea we couldn't live without any of them, is just silly.
I'll even consider extending the definition of art to (for example) the Hoover dam and the Brooklyn bridge, and think about the real life benefits they have brought to tens of millions of people; But we could still live without them.

That a woman in her position would say "we can't live without emojis" speaks volumes about the direction of the museum, and the highly questionable selection process, the thinking of the people at the top, IMHO.
Tell me, I can't live without emojis ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones