• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is it possible to root without installing a new ROM?

pointy

Aug 10, 2010
Hi there, been lurking since I got my Desire and decided to join up and help if I can.

I have one question though that I cant find an answer to though and that is if it is possible to have root on my current Desire ROM (T-Mobile branded 2.1 update1, Build 1.21.110.4 CL175581 release keys, bootloader 0.80) without having to wipe the phone and install another ROM?

The reason that I ask is that I have read a few reviews about Titanium Backup as that would back up all apps and settings and make my life a lot easier if I decide to debrand and install the stock 2.2 ROM as everything can be reinstalled in a 1 click process. Its the data (email accounts in k9 mail etc) that I am ideally needing saved as those are a pain in the arse to setup again. If root on the current rom cannot be done is there any other app that would save my data as I can save the apks using Astro.

Thanks.

Look for "one click root thread" Unrevocked 3 method.
Thanks, the guide however mentions a new ROM and Radio which I do not want to install just yet.
Transfer the preferred rom.zip and the radio.zip (if necessary) to sd card (sd already fully backed up to pc). Do not unzip them.
Disconnect USB
Run the ‘unrevoked’ reflash icon on pc, connect phone by usb, watch it do its thing (it should say ‘pushing file’ (or suchlike) in the reflash window; phone restarts more than once, pc beeps and makes sarcastic comments about windows, takes about 2 minutes.

All I want to do is a full backup (nandroid) of all my apps etc that is on my current T-Mobile branded ROM and then restore the backup onto the 2.2 stock ROM which I will download later.

Upvote 0
The one click guide is probably the easiest way to do it.

Just follow the instructions but if you don't want to install another Rom just ignore the transfer of the zip files in step three.

Step four only do the nandroid backup and that's it.

One point to note though. Titanium backs up all the stuff you have put on the phone, like apps, calendar appointments and contact info as well as some system stuff like preinstalled apps and some system data.
Nandroid is an entire backup of your current Rom, including all of the above.

What you mean is do a titanium backup, install new Rom the rerun titanium to restore your apps and data.

If you do a nandroid restore after installing a new Rom you'll revert back to the old Rom again.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: pointy
Upvote 0
No problems!

It is quite a complex sounding process but as long as you take the time to read it a couple of times and understand it fully its not too bad.

I will admit to being really worried about breaking my phone tryin to do this, but got through it ok.

The only other thing to note is that the first couple of times you reboot your phone it does take ages to start. Give it plenty if time to set itself up and don't panic too much!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones