Is it possible to root without installing a new ROM?

Last Updated:

1. pointy

pointy Member This Topic's Starter

Hi there, been lurking since I got my Desire and decided to join up and help if I can.

I have one question though that I cant find an answer to though and that is if it is possible to have root on my current Desire ROM (T-Mobile branded 2.1 update1, Build 1.21.110.4 CL175581 release keys, bootloader 0.80) without having to wipe the phone and install another ROM?

The reason that I ask is that I have read a few reviews about Titanium Backup as that would back up all apps and settings and make my life a lot easier if I decide to debrand and install the stock 2.2 ROM as everything can be reinstalled in a 1 click process. Its the data (email accounts in k9 mail etc) that I am ideally needing saved as those are a pain in the arse to setup again. If root on the current rom cannot be done is there any other app that would save my data as I can save the apks using Astro.

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. gmarkj

gmarkj Well-Known Member

You can indeed root without installing another rom.

Rooting just gives you access to do somethin like installing roms. You have to do that as the next step if you like.

A good analogy is that rooting is like gettin a drivers license. It's yours, but you don't actually have to drive!

3. pointy

Thanks for the reply. Interesting that I can root without installing another ROM as all the guides that I have read say that I need to install another ROM. Can you link me up with a guide that will allow me to do this please?

Thanks

4. Rew

Rew Well-Known Member

Look for "one click root thread" Unrevocked 3 method.

5. pointy

Thanks, the guide however mentions a new ROM and Radio which I do not want to install just yet.

All I want to do is a full backup (nandroid) of all my apps etc that is on my current T-Mobile branded ROM and then restore the backup onto the 2.2 stock ROM which I will download later.

6. gmarkj

gmarkj Well-Known Member

The one click guide is probably the easiest way to do it.

Just follow the instructions but if you don't want to install another Rom just ignore the transfer of the zip files in step three.

Step four only do the nandroid backup and that's it.

One point to note though. Titanium backs up all the stuff you have put on the phone, like apps, calendar appointments and contact info as well as some system stuff like preinstalled apps and some system data.
    Nandroid is an entire backup of your current Rom, including all of the above.

What you mean is do a titanium backup, install new Rom the rerun titanium to restore your apps and data.

If you do a nandroid restore after installing a new Rom you'll revert back to the old Rom again.

Hope that helps.

pointy likes this.
  7. pointy

Thanks gmark - that made a lot of sense. After reading your post I have managed to root and do both the nandroid and titanium backups. Now for a new ROM!!! :)

8. gmarkj

gmarkj Well-Known Member

No problems!

It is quite a complex sounding process but as long as you take the time to read it a couple of times and understand it fully its not too bad.

I will admit to being really worried about breaking my phone tryin to do this, but got through it ok.

The only other thing to note is that the first couple of times you reboot your phone it does take ages to start. Give it plenty if time to set itself up and don't panic too much!