• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is it worth it to update a Nexus 4 with Lollipop?

Hello,

I have a Nexus 4 with android 4.2.2 JDQ39. Lately I've been wondering if is it worth it to update my device with Androd 5.0 Lollipop.

What have you heard? Any of you out there have updated your Nexus 4 that care to share your experience? Will you say it has improved its performance, battery life, etc?
Or should I just stay with the current version.

A related question: Can rooted devices update OTA just fine? My nexus 4 is rooted but it doesn't have any special launcher or anything else. I just rooted it so I could disable the nav bar to gain more screen-space. So I do have a nav bar toggle and a Pie-menu control, that's it.

Thanks in advance

Lollipop is absolutely a nice upgrade to the Nexus 4. Did a standard OTA upgrade to mine, no problems. Fast and rock-stable.

You should be able to do an OTA update but you will lose root, of course. To increase your chances of success though, I'd put the phone back to stock condition.

Something bothers me. You said that the phone is running 4.2.2. It should be on 4.4.4 or the update to Lollipop will fail. If you return the phone to stock, it should update progressively through the versions to 4.4.4, then 5.0. When all is done you should be on 5.0.1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones