• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is my *new* N1 a refurb?

andyzammy

May 12, 2010
Hi all,

My Nexus One arrived last week, and i've only just started playing about with it. I have just mounted it on my computer for the first time, and i see that there are already mp3's on the SD card (with play counts). I can't see google shipping a phone with any mp3's at all, and the play count makes me think that someone has previously owned the SD card at least.

What are the chances that the phone is a refurb, and i didn't actually get a brand new phone?

I also have another question:
I've downloaded 3G Watchdog and SPNdroid. For now, to guage the battery life of my current (stock settings) usage, I'm attempting to use 3G all the time. However, I'd like my phone to latch onto a wireless network if it comes across (so as to minimise data usage). I'm not sure it does that though.

I come home, and after a while I unlock the screen, and only then does the wireless icon appear on the top right. Is this just a screen refresh issue or has my N1 only then just switched to the Wi-Fi? Seems like a waste of 3G if thats the case.

One last question:
Is there an app out there that will encrypt my Wi-Fi connection for unprotected hot-spots? I'm not sure if this is even possible, but it does seem feasable for me to SSH from my phone to my home computer, have that act as a proxy for all my data traffic and have it relay it back to my phone, so that anyone scanning the unprotected Wi-Fi network won't be able to take any of my passwords (as all they will see is encrypted SSH talk)

My main (but not only) concern is that if i were to recieve a push email through a unencrypted Wi-Fi network, I wouldn't have any control over my user + password being broadcast.

Thanks for any help,
Zammy

Hi Zammy

Im not sure about questions 2 and 3 but all Nexus ones came with MP3's on the SD card. A little gift from google I guess.

**edit** just had a look at my wireless settings I can see an option to notify me when it sees a new network but not an autojoin feature. I think it'll only do that if its accessed the network before.

Upvote 0
Hi Zammy

Im not sure about questions 2 and 3 but all Nexus ones came with MP3's on the SD card. A little gift from google I guess.

**edit** just had a look at my wireless settings I can see an option to notify me when it sees a new network but not an autojoin feature. I think it'll only do that if its accessed the network before.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Its actually a shame that you can't set it to auto join an open network. It is open, after all.

Upvote 0
When you get there, press the menu button ;)

Rusty! you little devil you. I never knew that you could keep the Wifi active at all once on standby and I've had my phone for a few months now......

I've set mine to stay on whilst charging which should save me some of my 500MB internet usage overnight when I'm asleep when it's syncing emails and charging. :D

Thanks for the tip!

Upvote 0
When you get there, press the menu button ;)

I'm not sure this feature works correctly. It seems to lose connection somehow when the screen is off. When I turn it on, it doesn't reconnect (like it would in sleep mode), it just gives me a mitigation of detected networks, and I would have to manually reconnect. Do I have to disable the notify me feature when I set sleep to "never"?

Upvote 0
Not that I'm aware of.

I did a test the other day for someone who was having the same problem.

I am able to set the sleep policy to never, fire up Last.fm and start streaming, turn off the screen and it stays working for as long as I like.

I will try this myself. I actually have another gripe with what must be android in general. Its very cloggy. It might have been on for 24 hrs when I try load up Google (default home page of stock browser) when it just never seems to finish loading up. I know for sure its not the network because one time it failed was when it attempted to retrieve my GPS location. The icon never appeared inthe top right. Reboot solves the problem, which I think suggests its the android sw. Any clues as to what might be causing this?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones