• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is my Rapid Charger Legit?

klear6

Nov 3, 2015
I bought my phone from T-Mobile. It is an HTC One M). At first I got a factory refurbished one which had overheating and charging problems and it came with a rapid charginng cable - Arg #1.

When I exchanged it for a NEW NEW phone (samme model) thhey made me return the cable and charger and did not send me a new one - Arg #2.

(Conincidentally, the day after I returned the first phone HTC released a patch to help with overheating and charging problems - Arg #3 lol)

I figured it was no big loss since the cable they had sent me before just ffell out of the bottom of whatever I plugged it into anyways and I had not read up on rapid charging yet. I had to talk to 3 people at Tmobile before they would consent to send me a cable and charger for the phone because they consider it an "accessory" and therefor were not contractually required to provide it. "Michael" finally agreed to send me one. When I got it it was nothing mroe than a run of the mill generic Tmobile charging cable - Arg #4.

At this point I had read up on chargers and Qualcomm and everything. Given that I had been having bad luck buying electronics over eBay lately with counterfeit SD cards and USB drives I figured it would be best to go to HTCs website and buy an OEM one. They were sold out - Arg #5.

Reluctantly, I went on eBay and ordered what the guy claimed was a quick charger and cable and I just got it in the mail today.
The specs on it are:
Input: 100-240v ~ 50-60Hz 0.35A
Output: 5.0V -- 2.0A

I happened to get another charger and cable with my son's new (used) Samsung Tab 3 kids (= Tab Light - 7") tablet.
The specs on that charger are:
Input: 100-240V ~ 50-60Hz 0.35A
Output: 5.3V -- 2..0 A

My husband has a Galaxy S 3 which is older and I figured I would compare that charger also. Specs:
Input: 100-240V ~ 50-60Hz 0.15A
Output: 5.0V -- 1.0A

I looked on a website (http://htconem9case.com/all-about-the-htc-one-m9-charge...) and it said tat a Qualcomm compatible charger should have these specs:
Input: 100-240V ~ 50-60Hz 0.5A
Output: 9V -- 1.7767A

I am software savvy but this crossed the line into hardware a loong time ago. My husband knows the math behind it but doesn't know what specs to believe are acceptable for my phone.

Also, does the charging cable matter? The one I originally got with the phone was bendy and seemed to stay in whatever position I bent it to - so does the newest one.
And, is my phone supposed to give me some kind of notification that it is rapid charging?

I have tried plugging them all into a wall and a USB port and the only message that I get it when it is slow charging (from a dollar store micro USB cord which is horrible at charging but is great at data transfer for some reason). I found one on sale at on Amazon for $9.93 that is supposedly made by HTC and need to know if I should buy it before some else does. Help please, I only have a limited amount of time to return this item on eBay if it is not what the guy claimed it was.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones