• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is rooting like fresh Windows on a brandname PC?

I've read a few of the rooting threads, and I think a good comparison is like when you buy an HP or Dell it comes with all that extra HP and Dell crapware.

And then you could take that same PC with an original Microsoft Windows CD and install XP/Vista/W7 etc on it and have JUST Windows on it, fresh, clean install without all the crap.

Is that a good comparison? Just trying to get my head around it completely.

And if so, one of the issues you run into on the PC is that you may be missing a video or NIC driver, and have to go get those specifically for that PC. Do you have to do anything like that for specific models after rooting?

I've read a few of the rooting threads, and I think a good comparison is like when you buy an HP or Dell it comes with all that extra HP and Dell crapware.

And then you could take that same PC with an original Microsoft Windows CD and install XP/Vista/W7 etc on it and have JUST Windows on it, fresh, clean install without all the crap.

Is that a good comparison? Just trying to get my head around it completely.

And if so, one of the issues you run into on the PC is that you may be missing a video or NIC driver, and have to go get those specifically for that PC. Do you have to do anything like that for specific models after rooting?

It's more along the lines of your Windows PC was given to you with only User access and you didn't have the Admin login credentials. Then, you get the Admin credentials (root) and can actually start modifying the operating system however you like.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones