• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is Smart Switch backup to Windows encrypted?

Matty72

May 18, 2023
I have performed my first backup of my Samsung S23 Ultra Android Smartphone using Smart Switch on Windows. The backup process didn't request a backup encryption password. Are the contents of the backup directory encrypted or could they easily be restored to another phone by anyone who was able to copy the directory?

I don't know myself, as I've never used it, but have you tried just looking at the contents of the directory? If you can open images or text files from there then they aren't encrypted, or at least not other than whatever the default encryption of your PC's storage is.

Of course that's less of a problem when it's your PC than if you were allowing the backup to be copied unencrypted to some cloud service.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones