• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is the FM radio RDS?

Hi, new to Android world...
First Android/Desire impression: still needs a lot of work to be great, really useful & stable - Handspring/Palm Treo history repeating (gone through Treos 180/270/600/650/680 with all their issues...)

I agree with mad - RDS works, but very badly.

- Only RDS PI (station name) seems to be implemented, there is no other RDS functions (like in car stereos) - EON, AF, TA/TP, PTY,...
- signal needs to be at least 5/7 for PI to work
- works better after turning the radio off/on, then stops again when tuning to another station

Other issues with FM radio application:
- hang on my Desire - phone did not even shutdown; had to remove battery (I know, I need a task killer...)
- stereo/mono switch does nothing even on 7/7 signal strength (always just mono)
- no preset +/- buttons on phone interface (only scan+/-)
- the original headphone buttons should double as volume control (as on ipod shuffle)

Upvote 0
Interesting, I tried out the radio on mine today for the first time (I went up a big hill overlooking London so I could get a decent reception and auto scan) and was surprised that one of the presets filled in it's name automatically. It was 'BBC Londn' so I assumed it was RDS because of the 9 character version.

A preset up/down would be nice as would the ability to reorder them. Also it switches the radio off when the camera comes on for some reason

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones