• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is the manner in which I use my task-killer good or bad?

scottmbolt

Android Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2010
Michigan - Metro Detroit
I have definitely read all of the information on these forums on how Android OS and the Hero manage applications and memory. I rarely use my task killer except in a certain manner, and I just wonder if it is a good way to do so...

I really only use it right after I reboot my phone. I will power up task killer and kill apps that I know I will NOT be using anytime in the near future, such as NFL Mobile, Pandora, Sprint Nav, Facebook, and whatever other apps I know are not essential to my daily use.

Is this good/bad/ or neutral to the phone? I figured if I kill apps that aren't being used, it is good because then they don't run-get killed-and use battery power to launch them again. Other than that I almost never really use the task killer.

Any experts out there have any opinion on this?

Did you read the sticky on task killers? I'm guessing so, but I think you might have missed the point on it.

These apps that the task-killers say are running, aren't necessarily running. The system shows them using memory, because that's what Linux/Android does, it eats up memory to use for multi-tasking.

These apps aren't using any CPU power, aren't using any power at all in fact, so it's not taking battery power to launch them or run them, because they aren't being launched.

Task killers only show what's using the memory, not what's using the CPU. There's no program that I know of that shows exactly what's using the CPU, probably because that program would have to tell you that it's using the CPU at the time you're checking, while the rest of the things that might be using the CPU are actually idling in the background, not using any power.

I hope that made sense

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones