• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is the Moto X 1st Gen (Older) Still a good choice?

Without knowing the price the Gen one X is selling for relative to the 2014 model, I would say yes. I have no inclination to upgrade my X. I paid full price to keep my unlimited data with VZW and it was worth every penny. I haven't been this happy with a phone since my OG Droid (which is still running to this day;)).

That said, your situation and pricing may be different. If the price difference between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 is small enough, it may be worth getting the technological refresh.:)

Upvote 0
I love my X...had it since January of last year, and still scores 28000 to 30000 in Antutu, putting it (in Antutu's list) directly under the LG G3 in terms of performance...pretty good for a phone thats been available for almost a year and a half!

Also, in response to your questions...Lag isn't much of an issue unless I have my (storage) memory down below 1g available.
The camera takes stellar pictures...actually I am rather partial to the image quality from any Motorola phone I've owned compared to the other devices that were being made at the same time.
My battery life is fine...as long as my phone isn't trying to hop onto 3g all the time (thank you Sprint for finally getting Albuquerque pretty well blanketed with 4g...).
The speakers are fine...I rarely use the external (speakerphone) speaker, but overall sound quality has brought no complaints from me.

Running N5XP Lollipop ROM on XT1056, unlocked boot loader with TDH kernel...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I want a near stock android experience in a small phone. I like the design of this phone.

- Is it fast? How often does it lag?
- How is the battery, camera, and speakers?
It is fast enough. I got it in April 2014. I love the overall experience, camera is good, speaker is loud and clear, and the battery really varies. Some days (not on wifi) I'll be getting 2 hours screen-on-time, but on wifi I get much more. Yesterday I got over 5 hours screen on time with 19% battery left at the end of the day. (see screenshot)

Attachments

• IMG_20150126_121740.jpg
    IMG_20150126_121740.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 162
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones