• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is The OPPO FIND 7 For You

Are you Getting the OPPO FIND 7

• Yes

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Maybe,awaiting further reviews.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Would consider if it were compatible on my carrier.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Would if it were sold by my carrier on contract.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
True Confessions.

To the question posed by KOLIO,
"In your experience/opinion,how would you rate the OPPO FIND 7 QHD/2K Display vs that of the LG G3?"

Side by side comparing the exact same page of a web site, playing a video clip, viewing a .pdf file, and using my jewelers loupe for a good look and some fun, I'd say these are beyond a shadow of a doubt, simply fabulous displays.

I don't know what caused me to think of using the loupe, but I'm very pleased that I did. Otherwise frankly it'd be a tie. For my personal tastes I do indeed prefer the F7 display over the G3. Why? My years as a amateur photographer have conditioned me to appreciate good color balance. The Find 7 has it in spades.

Otherwise known as Mr. Verbose at work :eek: I could go on and on about these two displays. But at the risk of being banned from this terrific forum because I used up an outrageous amount of space, suffice to say both of these are very good displays. I doubt there's enough difference to disqualify either of these smartphones from ones buying decision.

As you're aware,my opinion of the G3's display was less than favorable.
The text "sharpening",if that indeed is what it is,regardless,looked grainy/unfocused,Less than Sharp would,ironically,be the main reason I sent mine back.

I thought the colors/brightness/contrast were off as well,perhaps the term Color Balance best describes it,as you put it.
I'm definitely not the expert here,just an enthusiastic user,but,I know what I like & the OPPO FIND 7,IMHO,is a better phone w/a superior display,by far.

Reactions: zipred
Upvote 0
As you're aware,my opinion of the G3's display was less than favorable.
The text "sharpening",if that indeed is what it is,regardless,looked grainy/unfocused,Less than Sharp would,ironically,be the main reason I sent mine back.

I thought the colors/brightness/contrast were off as well,perhaps the term Color Balance best describes it,as you put it.
I'm definitely not the expert here,just an enthusiastic user,but,I know what I like & the OPPO FIND 7,IMHO,is a better phone w/a superior display,by far.

Just a very quick response before I jump in our business jet for a cross country flight. Both these phones benefit significantly after performing a calibration routine, something I do on every smartphone I keep.

Sorry, I'm on my Note 3 now without a fast easy way to give you more. But if you use our friend Google, you'll find the software tools to do the job. Once this is done you'll be very pleased with the results as, yes, out of the box most smartphone displays are operating at far less than optimum.

Cheers :)

Upvote 0
Just a very quick response before I jump in our business jet for a cross country flight. Both these phones benefit significantly after performing a calibration routine, something I do on every smartphone I keep.

Sorry, I'm on my Note 3 now without a fast easy way to give you more. But if you use our friend Google, you'll find the software tools to do the job. Once this is done you'll be very pleased with the results as, yes, out of the box most smartphone displays are operating at far less than optimum.

Too late for that,not looking back w/the OPPO FIND 7 & 1+1 on-hand,both displays look quite nice out-of-the-box.
I'll look further into this should I run into a clusterf*** like that again. ;)

Anyhoo,as to that LENOVO you're gonna pick up:
Please link a review somewhere here in OPPOTOPIA or,a PM.
A top-notch 6" display sounds nice,but,I'm most interested/concerned as to if there are any AT&T/T-MOBILE friendly radios on-board.

Please keep us posted. :)

Upvote 0

You mean calibrate the screen for colour temperature and consistent colour rendering? I don't think you can do that with the stock ColorOS software, not without rooting it and using Xposed. But then rooting is very easy with this phone and doesn't void the warranty. I know with Gummy ROM, that's got screen calibration built-in.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Too late for that,not looking back w/the OPPO FIND 7 & 1+1 on-hand,both displays look quite nice out-of-the-box.
I'll look further into this should I run into a clusterf*** like that again. ;)

Anyhoo,as to that LENOVO you're gonna pick up:
Please link a review somewhere here in OPPOTOPIA or,a PM.
A top-notch 6" display sounds nice,but,I'm most interested/concerned as to if there are any AT&T/T-MOBILE friendly radios on-board.

Please keep us posted. :)
http://androidforums.com/6675544-post3.html
You mean calibrate the screen for colour temperature and consistent colour rendering? I don't think you can do that with the stock ColorOS software, not without rooting it and using Xposed. But then rooting is very easy with this phone and doesn't void the warranty. I know with Gummy ROM, that's got screen calibration built-in.

Yes that's exactly what I mean. In case you missed my post about last night, I've already enjoyed one of my typical wild marathon nights of Android Modding Fun, changing out a plethora of ROMS, implementing Xposed, numerous other launchers etc.

Of particular note is how smoothly it all went, the fact that I don't have to worry about killing the warranty, and just how much I like the OPPO Find Series. If I choose to be picky, the only thing I'd change on my F7, would be to give it a 1080p display. I almost bought the 7a, but I'm a big proponent of RAM so the Find 7 won for my preferences and usage pattern.

Upvote 0
What exactly is the difference between the 7 and the 7a? Except for screen size, they both seem to have an SD card and removable battery, and decent cameras.

Are they easy to deal with? I've been running CM for so long now, a phone looks funny w/o it. I happen to like the 11.8 I'm using on the Nexus 4. I dislike LG phones so I want to get rid of the 4.

Telling me about playing movies and music is no good. I don't do it. I do play MLB highlights and can put At Bat on the phone. I'm looking for something to deal with large databases without the feeling the phone is chugging. I also have more Nature apps I want so could use an expansion card. Is App2SD still usable?

Thanks

Upvote 0
The 7 has 3GB RAM/32GB On-board storage & a QHD Display.
The 7a has 2GB/16GB & a 1080p HD display.

Both on stock COLOR O/S & only a 3GB partition for apps,the rest is for media.

You can go the A2SD route w/ ROOT,but,my suggestion/recommendation is to ditch the COLOR O/S & go w/ your favorite ROM.

I'm currently using GUMMY TWRP 2.7.1.0 & CM 11 nightlies,very nice.

Best part is Unlocking/Root/ROMMING is easy & DOES NOT void any warranties.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

You can go the A2SD route w/ ROOT,but,my suggestion/recommendation is to ditch the COLOR O/S & go w/ your favorite ROM.

For anyone reading this who has an F7/F7a, with custom ROMs there is a way to get rid of that partitioning and have unified internal storage, which gives you all the available storage for apps. It may not be satifactory to have a 32GB phone and only being able to install 3GB worth of apps and game. I've not done it myself yet, I've still got 1GB free space in the 3GB apps partition, with everything I need installed.

Full details here for the 7a..
http://www.oppoforums.com/threads/tutorial-unified-storage-layout-for-oppo-find-7a.17952/

That's very much the same for me as well. CM11 is great, no obvious problems with it.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0

Explain? I intend to root and put CM on it, but what does using a different ROM have to do with A2SD? Doesn't it work with any ROM?

I do have movies and music on an old Acer A-500. I use that when the Vulcan is driving in self defense. He's half deaf, shoves cotton in his ears to avoid road noise, and has all the windows shut to run the AC.

Upvote 0
I was just trying to emphasize ditching the COLOR O/S altogether.

The A2SD would work on anything,no reason it wouldn't.

BTW,the COLOR O/S is based on ANDROID 4.3

Another BTW:
Both models have a removable battery,but the one that comes w/the 7 is 3000 mAh,the 7A's is 2800.
(Each battery is interchangeable w/both models)

The 7A's processor is clocked @ 2.3mhz,while the 7's is @ 2.5mhz.

General consensus is the 7a has overall better battery life,even w/the lower battery capacity, due to the lower clock speed & screen resolution.

However,as you know,the clock speeds can be tweaked within CYANOGENMOD settings.

Upvote 0
What would work best for loading large databases? I must have 5 astronomy apps and they all have mostly the same catalogs. I usually just download the Messier and Caldwell since I have a smaller scope. There are DB for satellites, asteroids, comets, you name it.

I'm also into nature. I have 3 or 4 birding apps which also have large DB. Sibley took about 3 hours to get the db using wifi. I'd like the app to open before the bird flies away. These apps also have maps and sounds, plus pictures. The other apps for Trees and Flowers also have maps and extra info about plant.

I also collect geology roadlogs - those are mostly PDF as there doesn't seem to be many apps in that field yet.

I like to know where I'm at and why.

Upvote 0
What would work best for loading large databases? I must have 5 astronomy apps and they all have mostly the same catalogs. I usually just download the Messier and Caldwell since I have a smaller scope. There are DB for satellites, asteroids, comets, you name it.

I'm not exactly sure of what you're asking,but, if you currently have a phone that's capable of meeting these needs, I see no reason why either the OF7 or OF7A couldn't match, or, exceed the performance needs for such.

Upvote 0
I'm not exactly sure of what you're asking,but, if you currently have a phone that's capable of meeting these needs, I see no reason why either the OF7 or OF7A couldn't match, or, exceed the performance needs for such.

I'm not sure whether it's the app or the file system. Audubon and Ibird pro need to validate. They do this offline as the validation key is in the system.
It seems to take forever for the app to find the key.

The Astronomy apps seem to load faster - same format. Key is in the phone itself. These apps need/use GPS which works with no phone, data or wifi. The GPS is just the X,Y coordinates of the site, not the address.

I make sure I can use an app with NO connection - all data is self contained.
Some dark sites for astronomy have no phone connections at all. Same for birding. Look at the Colorado Plateau for you urban dwellers.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure whether it's the app or the file system. Audubon and Ibird pro need to validate. They do this offline as the validation key is in the system.
It seems to take forever for the app to find the key.

The Astronomy apps seem to load faster - same format. Key is in the phone itself. These apps need/use GPS which works with no phone, data or wifi. The GPS is just the X,Y coordinates of the site, not the address.

I make sure I can use an app with NO connection - all data is self contained.
Some dark sites for astronomy have no phone connections at all. Same for birding. Look at the Colorado Plateau for you urban dwellers.

I just d/l the MESSIER Astronomy app & it works quite well w/o data or WI-FI.
I tested this by clearing the data while using only GPS & the data showed up on demand,very responsive/instantaneous.

VERY COOL,I must say! :thumb:

Upvote 0
I tested this by clearing the data while using only GPS & the data showed up on demand,very responsive/instantaneous.

Astronomy apps do. Very cool. I have Vortex, Mobile Observatory, Sky Safari Plus - all paid versions. SkEye, Moon Maps and Astropanel are free.

I have no objection to buying apps if they are what I want.
I just wish the paid for Audubon apps and Birding apps would do the same.

The astronomy apps don't seem to hunt forever for an embedded key to know you bought them.

I make sure the astronomy apps do work w/o a connection. One favorite place to stargaze is the LaSal Mtn overlook in Arches NP. I have no phone signal or data, but I can find my way around in real time with these programs. There is some phone connection, but only old TMO flip phones like the Nokia 6085 can access it. Used to be warning signs up all over. If you can't see the LaSals, you won't have phone. If you go canyoneering or 4WD offroading, you need a satellite connection.

I'll probably go for the 7. It seems like every update adds a little more bits and pieces to grab memory.

Upvote 0

I forgot to hit like yesterday. Kudos to you for even investigating. Lots of users won't since apps like these are not purely entertainment or social.

Upvote 0
Something I will mention, a feature of the 7 and 7a is rapid one hour charging, or 70% in 30 minutes, which I believe is unique to this phone. However it requires the special Oppo charger that comes with the phone, which is called VOOC. It will charge on a regular USB charger, but then it takes a few hours like most phones. However the problem seems to be for many people, spare Oppo VOOC rapid chargers are impossible to obtain, even from Oppo Style. I managed to obtain a spare one yesterday, from the local Oppo service agent, so it's one for the office and one for home, plus it's a spare in case the original VOOC charger dies or goes missing. I also bought a spare battery, because I like to have a fully charged spare for when I'm travelling.

I'd been meaning to ask about the spare battery you bought locally:
Any chance that store had 3000 mAh batteries,or,was the 2800 mAh capacity the only one available?

OPPOSTYLE currently has the VOOC Charger & the 2800 mAh battery in stock.
Basically,I'm holding off on the battery,but,if 2800 is the only capacity available,then,I'd just as well pick up a 2nd VOOC charger for work instead.

However,my "NEW PHONE HABIT" pales in comparison to my NEW PHONE ACCESSORY habit.Trying to curb it a bit,especially to the accessories that are unique to a particular device.

I've managed to keep the accessory binging to one generic TPU case,so,I suppose I'm making progress. ;)

Upvote 0
I got the 7. Rather impressive gadget. Haven't shoved the SIM in it yet, but did go through and start getting rid of junk. I've gotta get used to the power button on the right.

Have to read up on rooting it. Also more info on the SD card limit.

Still need references on ROMS. I can't find where CM has any stable ROM for the 7. Willing to try something that does.

Then I'll sell the Nexus 4.

Upvote 0
I got the 7. Rather impressive gadget. Haven't shoved the SIM in it yet, but did go through and start getting rid of junk. I've gotta get used to the power button on the right.

Have to read up on rooting it. Also more info on the SD card limit.

Still need references on ROMS. I can't find where CM has any stable ROM for the 7. Willing to try something that does.

Then I'll sell the Nexus 4.

CM11 nightlies are very stable AFAICT.

One thing to consider before rooting/ROMMING:
Is the 3GB partition for apps gonna be enough for you?

Reason I ask is there are two variants of ROMS & recoveries (I believe on the recovery,you'll need to look into it further).

One variant is for the normally-aspirated storage w/the 3GB app partition.
The other is for a unified storage,no partitioning.

Both OPPO FORUMS & XDA DEVELOPERS have excellent how-to's/ToolBoxes/etc.... for CM/PARANOID ANDROID/etc....

http://www.oppoforums.com/forums/third-party-development.131/

This is the toolkit that I used to root & install an aftermarket recovery (normal/partitioned):

http://www.oppoforums.com/threads/easy-way-to-root-oppo-find-7.18537/

http://www.oppoforums.com/threads/recovery-installer-for-oppo-find-7a.18526/

Reactions: zuben el genub
Upvote 0
I was just going to ask. I've been searching all day and trying to figure out what's where. Oppo forum discusses rooting, but the posts are not linked in time so you don't know what's been updated and what hasn't.
I can't find any discussion of the ROMS available. I like CM, but if another would suit, I might try it.

I looked on XDA, but I will be damned if I can find Paranoid Android or CM in a usable discussion for the 7.

If you post actual links, I will read them.

Now the link you supplied for Oppo forum is totally different from the one I was reading. That makes sense.

With the apps I have and super large databases, I think the unified might be better?
I did buy APP2SD so I have that available, but as to what will store on it? Although with the size of the pictures on this thing, an SD card would help.

One poster said something about Titanium Backup - the reply was "I don't do anything illegal" or something to that effect. What's up with that?

I'd love to back up my apps, especially the large DB ones so I wouldn't have to wait 3 hours for Sibley Birds. How do you use a backup to a different phone?

I hope you have plenty of patience. You will need it. I tend to read a lot, then ask.

Thanks

BTW - I use Pale Moon browser (FX clone) and its Private Browsing plus NoScript. Sometimes I can't see websites. Bing's in the hosts file and can stay there.
I also worked in school libraries all through school, so I kinda expect and search like the Dewey Decimal System and get frustrated.

Upvote 0
I'm getting ready to wrap things up @ work.
Once I'm @ the house,I'll try to find the unified ROM/RECOVERY information.

As for the standard/partitioned root/recovery link I posted,I just used it less than two weeks ago,so if you go that route,you shouldn't have any issues.

As for the unified storage recovery/ROMS,I'd try it out myself,but,I've already sold my FIND 7 & am awaiting shipment of the OPPO N1.

mikedt still has his OPPO FIND 7A & he's probably hangin' around here somewhere & should be able to offer some sage advice on the FIND 7/7A.

I may actually be getting the FIND 7 back from the guy I sold it to,as he already has the 1+1 & prefers it to the FIND7 & I wouldn't mind having it again,but,will wait a couple weeks or so,or,until the "NEW PHONE SMELL" fades away from the OPPO N1.

Upvote 0
I was just going to ask. I've been searching all day and trying to figure out what's where. Oppo forum discusses rooting, but the posts are not linked in time so you don't know what's been updated and what hasn't.
I can't find any discussion of the ROMS available. I like CM, but if another would suit, I might try it.

I looked on XDA, but I will be damned if I can find Paranoid Android or CM in a usable discussion for the 7.

If you post actual links, I will read them.

Now the link you supplied for Oppo forum is totally different from the one I was reading. That makes sense.

With the apps I have and super large databases, I think the unified might be better?
I did buy APP2SD so I have that available, but as to what will store on it? Although with the size of the pictures on this thing, an SD card would help.

How's things going w/the ROOTING/ROMMING,or,are you staying put for the time being?

As for what I used when I had this phone,I loaded up the GUMMY TWRP Recovery,Version 2.7.1.0 & ran CYANOGEN MOD 11 nightlies.

I believe that is what mikedt is running on his OPPO FIND 7A as well. :thumb:

I had PARANOID ANDROID on my OF7 for a few days.

It seemed OK,fully functional,but,my preference was CM11.
The idea of nightlies,even on a stable ROM such as CM11,is appealing to me:

It's easy enough to revert back to a previous release sgould you not care for the latest nightly,for whatever reason.

Upvote 0
I'm hemming and hawing about it. That 3GB partition has me sort of worried with those large apps.

Someone posted in the Oppo forum that Oppo is working on unifying the OS.

So I'm reading. Quite a bit since most rooting uses TWRP rather than Clockwork. I read and read, then pester.

I'd rather do any customizing all at once.

Does Helium back up everything on a non-rooted phone?

Thanks

Upvote 0
I'm hemming and hawing about it. That 3GB partition has me sort of worried with those large apps.

Someone posted in the Oppo forum that Oppo is working on unifying the OS.

So I'm reading. Quite a bit since most rooting uses TWRP rather than Clockwork. I read and read, then pester.

I'd rather do any customizing all at once.

Does Helium back up everything on a non-rooted phone?

Thanks

I think HELIUM is well-suited for root users,since it is a CLOCKWORKMOD product:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup.license&hl=en

& the accompanying Desktop application:

https://www.clockworkmod.com/carbon

Check out the video in the link.
The app used to be named CARBON,but,for trademark issues,the name changed to HELIUM:

Koush

Reactions: zuben el genub
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones