Is there a 1000mA USB car charger that actually works?Accessories

1. Ooteschoogen

Ooteschoogen Member

I tried the 1000 mA bullet chargers and micro USB cable from Monoprice and got the same results as everyone else the phone will not charge when on. The cable is fine as it works with my stock wall charger.

So my question is, has anyone out there found a USB car charger/adaptor that will actually charge the EVO when the EVO is on? I prefer the seperate charger/cable option as it gives more flexibility.

Or are we doomed to a car charger with the cable actually hard wired into the charger?

BTW I had the RocketFish charger from BB but returned it because it was only 700mA and I want one that is 1000mA.

Advertisement
  2. Mabster

Mabster Well-Known Member

3. R1_Rydah

R1_Rydah Well-Known Member

why does it specifically have to be 1000ma? I'm using a 700ma & micro cablewith out any issues...
    marctronixx likes this.
  4. Fixmy59bug

Fixmy59bug Active Member

I don't know the specs or output on it, but when I bought my EVO from Radio shack, I also bought the PointMobl (That's an L, not an i) Micro USB car charger. Check it out here:

PointMobl Micro USB Vehicle Power Adapter : Cell Phone Car Chargers | RadioShack.com

Not only does it have the micro USB plug thatworks with the EVO (has no problem keeping up with leaving the EVO on and charging), but it also has a built in USB port. It promotes as being able to charge two devices at once.

It may not be "dealextreme" cheap at $24.99, but it certainly does work.

[​IMG]
    marctronixx likes this.
  5. whatsitsname

whatsitsname Well-Known Member

Generally the bigger they are the faster they charge. Try the ones from Target (can't remember the brand name but I think they only carry one brand). I have brought a Nokia charger from them and that thing charges quick. Blows away any of the Ebay and some el cheapo brand car chargers I bought. You can always return if it doesn't work out.
    marctronixx likes this.
  6. tracerit

tracerit Well-Known Member

marctronixx likes this.
  7. Slacker4Life

Slacker4Life Well-Known Member

marctronixx likes this.
  8. hellow0rld

hellow0rld Well-Known Member

is this what you were referring to? [​IMG]

its 2amps and it does charge fast...even charges the apple ipad too
    marctronixx and Alto101 like this.
  9. Ooteschoogen

Ooteschoogen Member

Who makes this one and where did you get it?
    marctronixx likes this.
  10. tracerit

tracerit Well-Known Member

scosche makes it. i think one port is 2A and one is 1A.
    sittinsilly likes this.
  11. enarez

enarez Member

12. mobilemaniac

mobilemaniac Well-Known Member

The Palm Pre car charger (model 3453WW) works very well. The phone reports AC charging, and I can confirm that it charges while running Pandora and Google Nav.
    Radioshack has them on clearance right now for $10.
    marctronixx likes this.
  13. dcrim

dcrim Member

I use the car charger that I bought for my Lotus (from the Sprint store). When I'm on the road I use a 12V wall adapter. It works fine.

I have found that it charges better when it's powered off, though.
    marctronixx likes this.
  14. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

Gomadic dual home and car chargers for me. With a set of tips, I can keep two Evo's juiced whenever I need. Both are 1A output from each individual output with 2A total when both are plugged in and 1A when only 1 plugged in. Pricey, but lifetime warranty. Pretty sure they're made in USA too.
    marctronixx likes this.
  15. hellow0rld

hellow0rld Well-Known Member

you can get it on amazon for $11 free shipping if u spend over $25...and it charges on both ports at 1Amp each..totaling 2AMPs if you charge from both.

amazon link
    marctronixx likes this.
  16. Alto101

Alto101 Member

This looks promising, have you actually tested this with the EVO? How is the quality of the charger?

marctronixx likes this.
  17. Cache22

Cache22 Well-Known Member

I just ordered one and should get it Monday, I'll post back with my results running both ports once I get it. I don't have a second device that uses as much power, but maybe I'll try plugging in a USB powered hard drive to the other port to test a higher load than my zune or kindle :)

Also to clarify, the "revive" model is 1 amp per port and the one I ordered at $11.40. The "revive II" is on preorder for $24.99 and has a 2.1 amp port and a 1 amp port.

Scosche Revive

Scosche Revive II
    marctronixx likes this.
  18. uniquenameEVO

uniquenameEVO Well-Known Member

I bought the Griffin Powerjolt dual, but I haven't tried it yet. It's ~$12 or so on amazon or at wallyworld.

Less power, but my BB 9700 charger works great on the evo.
    marctronixx likes this.
  19. coolguy949

coolguy949 Well-Known Member

I too purchased the Monoprice 1000ma one and I can't get it to charge. Thanks for the suggestions in here guys. I'll check them all out.
  20. Alto101

Alto101 Member

Thanks for the clarification, would it be safe to plug our phones into the 2.1 amp port? Would it charge quicker?
  21. BigPapaBang

BigPapaBang Active Member

I bought the griffin powerjolt and dual wall charger too. Just got them yesterday so I'll let u know how the work. The manual does state that its only 500ma per port so it would've been niceto know that prior to ordering. If the scoshe does do 1000ma per port then the griffin charger will be given to my dad for fathers day. Haha
  22. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

I have the Griffin PJ and DC. They show as charging, but it took much longer than my Apple 5V/1A or the charger provided with the phone. I would only use it in a pinch.
    marctronixx likes this.
  23. BigPapaBang

BigPapaBang Active Member

Ya, I figured they'd be slower since the OEM charger is rated at 1000ma. I should have dine more research prior to ordering. The scoshe one is next on the list. My commute is only 7 miles so it makes sense for me to have a quick charger if I was ever in a pinch. I also need dual ports to charge the work phone at the same time if I had to.
    marctronixx likes this.
  24. InTheRough

InTheRough Well-Known Member

marctronixx likes this.
  25. Norril

Norril Well-Known Member

Thanks. I am ordering the dual 1 amp version. a pair of them actually. One for my car and one for my GF.