• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is there a difference between programs in MS office student and MS Office business?

wyndslash

Android Expert
Aug 8, 2012
I know that the MS Office for business includes outlook, but is there a difference in the quality of the programs?

For example, is the Excel program of MS Office for student different (ie limited functions and formulas) than the one for business?

Need help since intending to purchase.

This is from the FAQ on the website I linked to:

Are there license restrictions to Office Home and Student 2010?

Yes. Office Home and Student 2010 is licensed only for non-commercial use by households. It cannot be used for any commercial, nonprofit, or revenue-generating activities, by schools or academic institutions, or by any government organization.

I have no idea what the repercussions for breaking the licence are, but when you purchase the home version you are agreeing to use it in a non-profitable manner, so Microsoft give you it for less.

Upvote 0
I know that the MS Office for business includes outlook, but is there a difference in the quality of the programs?

For example, is the Excel program of MS Office for student different (ie limited functions and formulas) than the one for business?

Do you intend to use Office to make money? If so, the Student Edition is not for you.

I have a friend currently using some version of Office Enterprise and it contains: Access, Communicator, Excel, Groove, Infopath, Onenote, Outlook, Powerpoint, Publisher and Word. I did not know what the heck Groove is/was, so I guess I do not need it.

There are tool bars in Word that let you use features of other programs the Student Edition does not include. MS seems to be all about tight integration.

I do not know the differences between individual Office components, but I am guessing the differences are either very minor or there are none. I tried my friends version of Word and I did not notice any differences, but I did not explore Word in depth.

One very BIG potential issue is the licensing differences between Student Editions and the rest. From the MS Site:

"Office Home and Student 2010 is licensed only for non-commercial use by households. It cannot be used for any commercial, nonprofit, or revenue-generating activities, by schools or academic institutions, or by any government organization."

So you cannot sell that amazing novel you wrote using the Student Edition but you can if you use a different version. I do not think MS really knows, but they might, so write under the cover of darkness and keep your mouth shut.

Upvote 0

The programs, as they are included, are identical. There are minor nuances, such as business productivity packs that may or may not install on the Student version.

The information in both of the replies below pretty much sums it up.

This is from the FAQ on the website I linked to:

I have no idea what the repercussions for breaking the licence are, but when you purchase the home version you are agreeing to use it in a non-profitable manner, so Microsoft give you it for less.

Do you intend to use Office to make money? If so, the Student Edition is not for you.

I have a friend currently using some version of Office Enterprise and it contains: Access, Communicator, Excel, Groove, Infopath, Onenote, Outlook, Powerpoint, Publisher and Word. I did not know what the heck Groove is/was, so I guess I do not need it.

There are tool bars in Word that let you use features of other programs the Student Edition does not include. MS seems to be all about tight integration.

I do not know the differences between individual Office components, but I am guessing the differences are either very minor or there are none. I tried my friends version of Word and I did not notice any differences, but I did not explore Word in depth.

One very BIG potential issue is the licensing differences between Student Editions and the rest. From the MS Site:

"Office Home and Student 2010 is licensed only for non-commercial use by households. It cannot be used for any commercial, nonprofit, or revenue-generating activities, by schools or academic institutions, or by any government organization."

So you cannot sell that amazing novel you wrote using the Student Edition but you can if you use a different version. I do not think MS really knows, but they might, so write under the cover of darkness and keep your mouth shut.

As for that licensing bit: I wonder how it works when a student writes a Thesis in Student edition that then becomes the property of the University? :p

There are all sorts of loopholes in these so-called licenses - they probably do not go out actively looking for license breaking, but if something were to happen, say a big name legal case about the ownership of a thesis, then they could step in and point to the license and make their own case.

Reactions: Xyro
Upvote 0
As for that licensing bit: I wonder how it works when a student writes a Thesis in Student edition that then becomes the property of the University? :p

There are all sorts of loopholes in these so-called licenses - they probably do not go out actively looking for license breaking, but if something were to happen, say a big name legal case about the ownership of a thesis, then they could step in and point to the license and make their own case.

I view all contracts the same way: forget what a logical person might assume and go by the words on the page because that is all that matters if you go to court.

I often hear a radio commercial that tells you how to report software piracy for big money. When your employees are looking to earn a few dollars, it is easier for you to get into trouble.

I do wonder if you purchase a used laptop with the student version installed, are you liable if you use it to make money? You did not press the "I Agree" button and therefore, it seems to me that whatever the license says cannot be enforced. Or am I missing something?

Seems most people on the jury would find it silly that you cannot use the software to earn a dollar.

I know Virgin Mobile specifically states that I cannot use my Triumph for any business use. That is all I do use it for these days. And the terms were not on the back of the package for a quick review. They were inside the package, so I "agreed" to terms before I had a chance to read what I was agreeing to.

Chances are, if VM took me to court, my jury would find in my favor because the terms seem so odd. It would be like buying a TV and agreeing to some terms that said you cannot watch any PG-13 or M rated movies. It might be in the contract, but most would find the rule silly.

Upvote 0
What do you mean it's not licensed for business use? Would they really find out?

It says just that. Stop writing sales letters or advertising copy.

As for how they will find out, they likely will not. And if they do, my guess is they will not do much about it.

That being said, assume they WILL find out and haul your arse into court. Just assume that and prepare for the worse.

Upvote 0
I view all contracts the same way: forget what a logical person might assume and go by the words on the page because that is all that matters if you go to court.

I often hear a radio commercial that tells you how to report software piracy for big money. When your employees are looking to earn a few dollars, it is easier for you to get into trouble.

I do wonder if you purchase a used laptop with the student version installed, are you liable if you use it to make money? You did not press the "I Agree" button and therefore, it seems to me that whatever the license says cannot be enforced. Or am I missing something?

Seems most people on the jury would find it silly that you cannot use the software to earn a dollar.

I know Virgin Mobile specifically states that I cannot use my Triumph for any business use. That is all I do use it for these days. And the terms were not on the back of the package for a quick review. They were inside the package, so I "agreed" to terms before I had a chance to read what I was agreeing to.

Chances are, if VM took me to court, my jury would find in my favor because the terms seem so odd. It would be like buying a TV and agreeing to some terms that said you cannot watch any PG-13 or M rated movies. It might be in the contract, but most would find the rule silly.

That's why with all used items unless I break them down and part them out myself, I use the Factory Reset / Restore / Whatever you call it to take it back to pristineness of when it was bought. That way, they *DO* Have to click I accept all over again.

As for finding them silly - I find anything and everything related to IP silly to begin with, much less any spurious rules that govern software usage....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones