• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is there a list of apps/files that can be safely deleted after root?

I'd suggest you install Titanium Backup. It allows you to "freeze" system apps before removing them. Freezing them allows you to disable them without actually removing them from the system. If you realize that freezing the app causes malfunctions due to dependencies, you can unfreeze it. Otherwise you can simply delete it. I'm unaware of a comprehensive list of system apps that are safe to remove for the original Droid. Neall

Reactions: The_Chief and Vance
Upvote 0
That is a very good idea. I do have Titanium and recently upgraded it to the full version (which has the freezing capability), and I can do things one at a time to see what happens. A list of those who have already gone through it would be useful, but using the freezing method is very do-able. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Chief, I had that same problem! Before I had the full Titanium and so could not freeze, I used Root Explorer to go in and change the name of the stock music file's extension and that worked as well. It just disappeared from my app list and has not bothered me anymore. Freezing would have been even easier. I now have the full Titanium and so can use that freezing option for other apps.

BTW, I am using WinAmp now, and that has an option to turn off headset control, which is needed when I want to use Beyondpod for podcasts. How do you like Cubed compared to Winamp, does it have that "control headset" toggle? Have you tried the new leaked Motorola player?

Upvote 0
How do you like Cubed compared to Winamp, does it have that "control headset" toggle? Have you tried the new leaked Motorola player?

I don't know - I haven't tried either one. I'm so hooked on Cubed I haven't bothered to try anything else! I am on my BT headset some 10 hours a day, so I don't really NEED a toggle. I may try the leaked Moto player, but I don't give it much of a chance against Cubed.

Upvote 0
I don't know - I haven't tried either one. I'm so hooked on Cubed I haven't bothered to try anything else! I am on my BT headset some 10 hours a day, so I don't really NEED a toggle. I may try the leaked Moto player, but I don't give it much of a chance against Cubed.
Chief did you know that BD is releasing UD for your tablet?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones