• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is there an app that will test battery health?

QuadConPana

Lurker
Feb 27, 2010
Shortly after purchasing my Galaxy s4, I purchased an extended battery and put the factory battery into storage. Recently, the performance of that battery had declined to the point that I decided to begin using the factory battery again. The battery performance of the factory battery is dismal. I did a spin test, and if the battery is bulging, I can't detect it.

I live in FL, though, and the phone has been stored in a hot car. I have returned to the car to see that the phone has shut down because of battery temperature. Were it not for the spin test, I would be certain that the problem was a worn out battery. However, this battery has spent maybe 3-4 months in the phone, and I would rather be sure that the problem isn't related to the phone itself, especially since I have about a month until I could no longer do a warranty replacement.

Is there any way to test the battery capacity through software?

All of the apps that claim to test battery health that I've investigated have turned out to be snake oil.

If you leave a battery without a charge in storage for a length of time, it dies. One of mine did it after 6 months. With a charge, they can last quite a while. That's why you see new phones with some sort of decent charge anymore - shelf life is extended.

You can see the power level with a number of apps - System Panel for example. But if it won't hold a charge, and it's been stored without one, it's almost certainly the battery.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that sitting could ruin a battery. Since the number of hours of use was low, I thought the battery was too "new" to have such poor performance. Hence, I thought it might have something to do with the phone/system/processor. I feel a lot more confident that replacing the battery is the answer.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones