• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

is there any hope

I like the latest and greatest. That's why I bought a 486 33mhz processor back in the day for about 1,500.00. It was the top of the mountain. Then 2 months later they came out with the 66mhz. That's the cost of chasing technology.

Good for you too. Its consumer behavior like that which gives the companies all the power in the world to do as they please. So thank you good sir.

Upvote 0
I just got tired of waiting for some "official" news. If VZW or HTC want to play games then fine, but I needed a new phone and after reading the reviews on the Q9M on cnet (and laughing hysterically because it really solidified the feeling I had towards how bad my phone was), I had to get something and at $50, to me, the Eris was a steal. I'm sure something will crush it in the next 3 months, but right now it's pretty cool and does all I need with a smart phone. With what I use a smart phone for, waiting an extra 2 seconds here and there really isn't a big deal.

Where did you get the Eris for $50? I'm tired of waiting too. I'm looking to get the Eris this week.

Upvote 0
Where did you get the Eris for $50? I'm tired of waiting too. I'm looking to get the Eris this week.

Got a $50 credit for the "new every two" deal. I thought about signing only a one year deal but the phone would cost $170 and I wouldn't get the $50 off for the new every two, so I signed a 2 year. I figured since the difference is $120, that is about as much as it is to cancel the contract, just in case a newer better phone comes out (passion, etc.).

Upvote 0
Got a $50 credit for the "new every two" deal. I thought about signing only a one year deal but the phone would cost $170 and I wouldn't get the $50 off for the new every two, so I signed a 2 year. I figured since the difference is $120, that is about as much as it is to cancel the contract, just in case a newer better phone comes out (passion, etc.).
Hate to burst your bubble but theyre raising the fee to 325 to cancel contract

Upvote 0
Yeah, but I don't want to buy a PS2 the day before a PS3 comes out

I think it's more like buying an XBox360 the day before a PS3 comes out. Sure there's some games that are exclusive to either system, but for the most part, you're getting a great gaming experience no matter what.

These phones are going to be comparable, I don't think they're going to be straight upgrades. But patience is a virtue and if you're not satisfied w/ the current options, than by all means wait until what you want comes up.

Upvote 0
I think it's more like buying an XBox360 the day before a PS3 comes out. Sure there's some games that are exclusive to either system, but for the most part, you're getting a great gaming experience no matter what.

These phones are going to be comparable, I don't think they're going to be straight upgrades. But patience is a virtue and if you're not satisfied w/ the current options, than by all means wait until what you want comes up.

That seems to be a strange perspective because from what I've read any phone that will come out will most likely have an amazing larger screen and a better processor. It also may have Android version 2.1 (not 2.01) and an updated version of Sense UI. Not to be mean but those sound like straight upgrades to the Eris so I would agree with the PS2/PS3 statement. They are not equal as described by rumors or everyone would've bought an Eris by now and spared themselves the waiting.

Upvote 0
I'm pissed with Wirefly. I just tried to get an Eris for $30 but they wouldn't let me because I'm not eligible for a contract extension. They said I would have to get my 24 months completed which I haven't.. I still got 6 months left.
Then they offered the phone to me for $9.99 as long as I get an additional line put on. I have an individual plan and need only one line. I don't need 2 lines.
So, then he said I could get the phone for just retail with no contract which would be $449. I was pissed at that point. I just hung up on the rep.
I'm going to have to get it at Verizon.

Upvote 0
Some good news. FatedDistress over on the Verizon Forum works for Verizon.. so he/she says. This person has it on good authority that the Passion/Dragon will be released "1st quarter 2010".. more than likely sometime in January. He/she mentioned "January 5". It was originally suppose to be relased on December 6 but HTC missed the deadline. Verizon has 16.7 million units ready to be shipped.
http://androidforums.com/verizon/20477-any-new-verizon-androids-before-january-2.html#post215874

Upvote 0
January 5th was the same date floating around about the Nexus One. Here's what I think is happening. The Nexus One and Incredible/Passion are the same hardware (save for the radio). The N1 is Google branded for T-Mobile and the Incredible/Passion is HTC branded for Verizon. Some sweeping announcement will probably be made next week, maybe at CES. I'd even expect maybe that while they'll both be Android 2.1, the N1 might have something extra in software since it's Google branded. I think Verizon may have passed on the Google branding model (and whatever extras that might entail) and not necessarily on the hardware itself.

Upvote 0
January 5th was the same date floating around about the Nexus One. Here's what I think is happening. The Nexus One and Incredible/Passion are the same hardware (save for the radio). The N1 is Google branded for T-Mobile and the Incredible/Passion is HTC branded for Verizon. Some sweeping announcement will probably be made next week, maybe at CES. I'd even expect maybe that while they'll both be Android 2.1, the N1 might have something extra in software since it's Google branded. I think Verizon may have passed on the Google branding model (and whatever extras that might entail) and not necessarily on the hardware itself.
Assuming you believe everything Fated has to say (the jury is still out with me, but i'm forever a skeptic) it could play out as you say. Other differences, the phone will (i'm guessing) be locked, subsidized like all other Verizon smartphones and require the standard voice/data package.

It's also possible that the actual release of the phone won't be until some time later than N1. Google has a substantial investment in the development of N1 and may have some sort of exclusive rights to its initial release. For this reason I also suspect the N1 will have some sort of hardware or features the passion/incredible lacks, making it a more desirable phone.

Guess we'll know soon enough. Grain of salt, not included.

Upvote 0
Assuming you believe everything Fated has to say (the jury is still out with me, but i'm forever a skeptic) it could play out as you say. Other differences, the phone will (i'm guessing) be locked, subsidized like all other Verizon smartphones and require the standard voice/data package.

It's also possible that the actual release of the phone won't be until some time later than N1. Google has a substantial investment in the development of N1 and may have some sort of exclusive rights to its initial release. For this reason I also suspect the N1 will have some sort of hardware or features the passion/incredible lacks, making it a more desirable phone.

Guess we'll know soon enough. Grain of salt, not included.

Granted, one could say the N1 is locked to t-mobile by virtue of supporting 3g at 1700MHz only in North America. It's only a token gesture to leave a phone unlocked but limit support to such an exclusive frequency. Speaking of complete hearsay, what factual/official statement tells us the N1 development was invested in solely by Google? For all we know, it's a phone HTC was working on before Google came along. Remember, the very first picture was HTC branded.

Upvote 0
Granted, one could say the N1 is locked to t-mobile by virtue of supporting 3g at 1700MHz only in North America. It's only a token gesture to leave a phone unlocked but limit support to such an exclusive frequency. Speaking of complete hearsay, what factual/official statement tells us the N1 development was invested in solely by Google? For all we know, it's a phone HTC was working on before Google came along. Remember, the very first picture was HTC branded.

That pic could mean it was a different phone, that this is a family of phones like their Hero line.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones