• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is this phone worth it on virgin mobile?

Qin

Aug 10, 2011
Hi,

I'm using the LG Optimus V on virgin mobile, grandfathered $25 a month. I've heard I can keep the $25 plan using Awe but the Awe is a year old already. Users of this phone, is this phone "upgrade" worth it? I had intended to use my Lg until it starts breaking down and it has after 3.5+ years ;(.

Since The Lg was a low spec phone, the phone had a lot incompatible apps within a year, Do you think the awe will face the same problems down the line in 1.5-2 years?

Also, can someone tell me if the app "WoNoLo" is compatible on this phone?

I'm using the LG Optimus V on virgin mobile, grandfathered $25 a month. I've heard I can keep the $25 plan using Awe but the Awe is a year old already. Users of this phone, is this phone "upgrade" worth it? I had intended to use my Lg until it starts breaking down and it has after 3.5+ years ;(.

I was in exactly the same situation (except my Optimus V was working fine) when I came across a deal VM had where I got the Awe for $28. So in my opinion, yes, it's a great upgrade.

For you, the major caveat is that it's not Gingerbread where you can move apps to SD. That means your apps must fit in the nominal 4GB of storage, which is really more like 2 GB.

In my case, with a measly total of 75 apps showing in my app drawer, this is what the phone's Settings -> Storage shows:
Internal Storage: 1.95GB
Apps (app data & media content): 1.17GB
Misc: 255MB
Available: 538MB

This is a secondary phone for me (a landline replacement), so I can live with limited apps.

Otherwise, I love the upgrade, even though mine came with a wi-fi problem, in that it sometimes loses the wi-fi connection.

In order to keep your grandfathered $25 plan, be sure to upgrade online, not via phone call; there are instructions in this thread on how to do this.

Since The Lg was a low spec phone, the phone had a lot incompatible apps within a year, Do you think the awe will face the same problems down the line in 1.5-2 years?
I can't answer this, but I presume so.

On Google Play, when I click on the little "i" next to the words "This app is compatible with some of your devices", it indicates that it is compatible with the Awe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Qin
Upvote 0
You went above and beyond answering my questions and you saved me a call with virgin, thank you!

Does rooting the phone allow link2sd? To force move apps onto the SD card.

Its too bad the phone doesn't have NFC and physical buttons, here's hoping it can last at least 2 years!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Qin , Incidentally I'm in a since position as you are in. I picked up the Awe for $25 with a coupon a while back, and haven't gotten around to set it up until the past few days. I've been using the Optimus V for quite a while and figured I would keep using it until it stopped working. It's pretty solidly built so it may have another dive or ten years before it becomes e-waste. When trying to run current apps, though, it's age I'd apparent. I activated the Awe on my account after configuring a rom that I found to be stable, currently PhenomX4's Cyanogenmod 11, 4.4.4. I haven't used the stock rom much but comparatively it's more usable than the stock configuration of the Optimus V or Elite that I've used. I don't know much about Link2SD on rooted stock, but would suspect it should work. Regardless, the internal memory is a large upgrade from the V. I was concerned I would have data issues, as I had problems with the Elite that I was using for a while but this hasn't been an issue so far. I've only been on the Awe as my main rig for a little while, but I'm really happy with it thus far. The only major complaint I have is that it doesn't fit in my pocket as perfectly as the V. Feel free to post or send a Pm if you have more questions or need help.
Hi,

Upvote 0
Hi Qin , Incidentally I'm in a since position as you are in. I picked up the Awe for $25 with a coupon a while back, and haven't gotten around to set it up until the past few days. I've been using the Optimus V for quite a while and figured I would keep using it until it stopped working. It's pretty solidly built so it may have another dive or ten years before it becomes e-waste. When trying to run current apps, though, it's age I'd apparent. I activated the Awe on my account after configuring a rom that I found to be stable, currently PhenomX4's Cyanogenmod 11, 4.4.4. I haven't used the stock rom much but comparatively it's more usable than the stock configuration of the Optimus V or Elite that I've used. I don't know much about Link2SD on rooted stock, but would suspect it should work. Regardless, the internal memory is a large upgrade from the V. I was concerned I would have data issues, as I had problems with the Elite that I was using for a while but this hasn't been an issue so far. I've only been on the Awe as my main rig for a little while, but I'm really happy with it thus far. The only major complaint I have is that it doesn't fit in my pocket as perfectly as the V. Feel free to post or send a Pm if you have more questions or need help.

Thanks for responding! Since you rooted your phone recently, how did you use to root it? I was reading the root forum and there was a program that's in Chinese and there's a bunch of other outdated ones because of varying phone screens, etc..

Do you have a case or screen protector on your Awe? Since it's so inexpensive, I'm thinking about going without one but I'm also clumsy and have dropped my V plenty of times with a case on. The V's screen isn't glass so it hasn't cracked, not sure if it'd be the same on the Awe? If you do have a case, does it feel significantly bulkier than without one?

Does the Awe have a problem with dust going under the screen?

Thanks again for your in depth experience.

Upvote 0
Thanks for responding! Since you rooted your phone recently, how did you use to root it? I was reading the root forum and there was a program that's in Chinese and there's a bunch of other outdated ones because of varying phone screens, etc..

Do you have a case or screen protector on your Awe? Since it's so inexpensive, I'm thinking about going without one but I'm also clumsy and have dropped my V plenty of times with a case on. The V's screen isn't glass so it hasn't cracked, not sure if it'd be the same on the Awe? If you do have a case, does it feel significantly bulkier than without one?

no it dose not I been on this phone over 9 months it gerate phone I came from the VM venture I tell u its great phenomx4 and other devs working on getting lollipop toatle working its only WiFi now but not for long have quite a few kk ROMs aviabale there all good I tecomend the up grade I'm to on the 25 dollar plan hope u do u won't be sorry:):):)

Upvote 0
I followed Curtis' three step process, outlined here: http://androidforums.com/threads/th...-root-recovery-rom-guide-zte-awe-only.870990/. The Chinese text makes it tricky. When I went through the steps, I wasn't sure if I had successfully completed the process, so I downloaded a root checker. Incidentally, it didn't take effect until I rebooted. Some users have reported that the process does not work after the B07 update. Forum members have posted a number of alternatives on the last page of the previously mentioned thread, here: http://androidforums.com/threads/th...recovery-rom-guide-zte-awe-only.870990/page-4

User giltheissen reports that VRoot 1.7.9.2 works very well regardless of upgrade. His thread is here: http://androidforums.com/threads/b07-software-update.881621/.
Finally, as far as the case, I purchased an MPERO Metro case from Amazon. It's kind of like a knock-off Otterbox. It increases the size of the phone substantially, but it is nice and grippy, and feels well protected. Even if something isn't that expensive comparatively, I still like to take care of my stuff. It was $5.00 when I purchased it, though it looks like it's gone up a dollar. For a screen protector, I'm just using the plastic that came on it, at the moment.
I think I have some protectors around that I could cut to size, but I really don't like putting them on.
Here is the link to the case: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IGJA6NI/ .
Finally, in regard to dust, I haven't really had it long enough to determine if that will be an issue. The case definitely provides protection in this respect. It would be nice if there were somewhere that you could buy caps to cover the vacant ports. That's where dust gets in, anyway. Perhaps some such thing exists.

I hope that this information is helpful to you. Let me know if you have further questions.
And, good luck!

Upvote 0
Hi Qin -- When I did the swap, I navigated to the swap option in my online account, and entered in the ESN of the new Awe. Incidentally, I didn't receive a confirmation page or further instructions, so I wasn't sure if it worked. I reloaded the web page, and it showed the Awe as my phone in the account, however service was not active on the new phone. I had to power off the old phone, then flash the Awe to stock, and boot it up. It then pulled a new PRL and activated itself. The activation app has never worked for me. I feel like I used to be able to do a swap by punching in MIN and MDN, but can't recall exactly how I did it. If anybody has extensive experience in executing this process on a custom rom, please let me know. In any case, the whole thing took about 45 minutes to get working. I think most people have less difficulty. It has been reiterated not to call customer service in order to keep the $25.00 account. I don't think it matters if you take it out of the box before or after, though, you will have to take it out of the box to use it.

In regard to the CPU settings, I've left them at the defaults for each firmware I've tried. I don't really play games too much. Stability and battery life is more important to me than playing the latest game. I've read that underclocking on the L Awe rom provides adequate performance while eeking significantly more battery life. The default CPU settings on my device right now are set as follows -- Minimum:384Mhz, Maximum:1188MHz, Governor:OnDemand. Some other uses might be able to provide more experiential advice in terms of overclocking and experimentation.

It wasn't clear whether you took the plunge on the Awe yet, or are waiting for a deal, or still in research-mode. If you are still on the V and intend to be for the forseeable future, I came across this custom rom, which I must have missed previously. It is Android 4.4.4 with an OS2SD feature. I could see that this might breathe some life into the V, though I haven't tried. I might.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...ternal-f2fs-bigsuperrom-thunderc-4-4-4-a.html

I just thought of two more questions:

1. When do you phone swap online? Before or after taking the phone out of the box?

2. Is there a best optimized processing speed for the phone? How are you clocking the two cores on this phone?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I should've mentioned, I did buy the phone and am getting it on Wednesday! Can't wait, so excited :)

I'm actually using the 4.4.4 rom you mentioned for the V and it's a main reason why I'm upgrading to the Awe, haha. That and the phone's been rebooting constantly.

I asked about taking it out of the box because I'm nervous the swap won't work and I would be stuck with a phone because I opened it, but seeing as how cheap the phone is, I really should stop worrying...

And I will definitely activate it before flashing a rom. I'll also test out your configurations because I also value stability and battery life the most, thanks for saving me time from having to read through the forums!

I'll probably have more questions when I get the phone but until then I'll be patiently waiting for fedex :D

Upvote 0
I should've mentioned, I did buy the phone and am getting it on Wednesday! Can't wait, so excited :)

I'm actually using the 4.4.4 rom you mentioned for the V and it's a main reason why I'm upgrading to the Awe, haha. That and the phone's been rebooting constantly.

I asked about taking it out of the box because I'm nervous the swap won't work and I would be stuck with a phone because I opened it, but seeing as how cheap the phone is, I really should stop worrying...

And I will definitely activate it before flashing a rom. I'll also test out your configurations because I also value stability and battery life the most, thanks for saving me time from having to read through the forums!

I'll probably have more questions when I get the phone but until then I'll be patiently waiting for fedex :D

I find it mind blowingly strange just how many people came from the V to the Awe, it really was a great phone I just didn't assume it was that popular. Qin you are going to love the upgrade, the screens bigger, I/you can finally watch vines and twitter gifs (literally my only reason for leaving my V), its way quicker like beyond noticeable especially since I was in your boat with my V constantly rebooting on 4.4.4 and yeah lol its just waaaay better

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also, about the case, there's a great deal on amazon (Google "awe case amazon") you get a otterboxish case, stylus, kickstand within the case, screen protector, and some "dust cap". All of this is only $7 including shipping, so if it is a bust I really lost nothing, but most reviews seem to have gotten theirs so I went for it and I'll let you know if I do get scammed

Upvote 0
I got the phone a day early, it's so smooth!

Does anyone know what the small white circle in the back with an image of a lock do?

This phone doesn't have NFC but can we just buy the hardware and install it ourselves?

Judging from this thread and the other I'll assume your rom'd. If that's the case then what you're describing sounds like the Holo theme wallpaper. Also, maybe this'll help http://www.greenbot.com/article/236...ange-how-you-control-your-android-device.html

Upvote 0
I realize I described it really bad. I meant the physical white dot in the back of the phone near the battery, I've attached a photo.

Also, is there a way to turn the phone on using the capacitive buttons? Using the home button is still weird to me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    508.4 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    508.4 KB · Views: 107
Upvote 0
I realize I described it really bad. I meant the physical white dot in the back of the phone near the battery, I've attached a photo.

Also, is there a way to turn the phone on using the capacitive buttons? Using the home button is still weird to me.

I'd say its more than likely something you have to remove to get inside the phone casing. As for your second question, my phone only turns on when I use the power button, so I'm not aware of any other ways

Upvote 0

if I rember right the white dot is a moister infactor it turn color when wet

Reactions: Qin and jj2me
Upvote 0
Also, about the case, there's a great deal on amazon (Google "awe case amazon") you get a otterboxish case, stylus, kickstand within the case, screen protector, and some "dust cap". All of this is only $7 including shipping, so if it is a bust I really lost nothing, but most reviews seem to have gotten theirs so I went for it and I'll let you know if I do get scammed
How is the case?

Upvote 0
How is the case?

So far its the best $3 I've ever spent, plus shipping. I got the black on black so it was cheaper for some reason, but they have more colors that go up to $9.99. The case is two parts, a hard shell outter body and then a thick rubber case to go around that. It also comes with a built-in kickstand which is why I bought it. In addition to that it has a cheap screen protector (I threw it away for $3), stylus and a dust cap for your headphone jack. For me that was too good of a deal to pass up for $3. As far as the feel, it's as thick as an otterbox but I like the grip on the back because I always drop my phone on my face.

Disclaimer: I just got it, so I don't know yet of any problems that could pop up down the road.

Upvote 0
So far its the best $3 I've ever spent, plus shipping. I got the black on black so it was cheaper for some reason, but they have more colors that go up to $9.99. The case is two parts, a hard shell outter body and then a thick rubber case to go around that. It also comes with a built-in kickstand which is why I bought it. In addition to that it has a cheap screen protector (I threw it away for $3), stylus and a dust cap for your headphone jack. For me that was too good of a deal to pass up for $3. As far as the feel, it's as thick as an otterbox but I like the grip on the back because I always drop my phone on my face.

Disclaimer: I just got it, so I don't know yet of any problems that could pop up down the road.
I have simuliaf vase to pices and rubber typ outer housing and a stand works good

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones