• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is this the reason Samsung phones don't get Android updates?

momentoid

Android Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2009
US of A
The Samsung Secret - Why U.S. Galaxy S Phones run Android 2.1 Still - xda-developers

... Updates are usually broken into several types: critical updates, maintenance updates, and feature updates. Critical updates are usually free, maintenance updates have some maintenance fee associated with them, and feature updates are usually costly.

With most manufacturers, such as HTC, Motorola, etc. This is fine and considered a maintenance upgrade. Samsung, however, considers it a feature update, and requires carriers to pay a per device update fee for each incremental Android update....

Does this mean Samsung Epic will be stuck on Android 2.1? :thinking:

No one can be sued for it.. maintenance is usually part of the contracts. Upgrade to a new OS is not..

There is no promise of future OS updates. only maintenance that is contracted between the Carrier and the vendor.
I didn't suggest a suit over failure to update, I know that no suit can be brought for those practices that they are choosing to engage.

Rather, a suit for failure to provide notice that the industry standard is not being upheld by this company (and is therefore misleading to consumers seeking to purchase an Android product). Though I am unsure whether that would have to be brought against Samsung or against Sprint.

Typically a suit of this nature would hold little weight, due to the ability to just dump the product and go elsewhere. But considering the lasting contractual obligations that are attached... it may very well be a viable argument. Then again, maybe not... but I'd love to find out for sure!

Now that I think about it, I think it's probably not possible unless it can be found that they are actively trying to mislead the consumer.

Upvote 0
Two tweets from Sprint:

Sprint & Samsung are working to release Froyo for Epic ASAP, but only after it meets rigorous testing criteria to ensure quality experience.
Epic 4G users: Froyo is still in the works. We’re working closely with @SamsungMobileUS to ensure the best possible customer experience.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones