• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

It's 2021 & we still can't get good quality video/images iphone to android

Seriously this is ridiculous. Trying to text someone a video or picture is a joke. Videos especially... iPhone to Android and/or Android to iPhone. The quality is so massively degraded that it's literally unwatchable. Why cant this just work how it should.. its 2021 and still cant get it right?

And no email, google photos, google drive, telegram, whatsapp etc aren't solutions. They are bandaids. I shouldn't have to be like "oh hey what's your email" or "can you sign up for telegram so I can send you this video?!". That's ridiculous. The media file should be sent inline with the text conversation. PERIOD.

All I heard since like 2015 was RCS RCS RCS! The end of media degradation!!! RCS! RCS! RCS! Well hasn't RCS been here for a while now? I literally haven't seen any change in anything other than I can see people type when using Verizon messages as my texting app.

there will always be issues with apple and Android when it comes to texting and sending mms. it is something you will have to get used to. Android to Android there should be no problem. don't know who to thank apple or Google for this issue. but i doubt you will see them be eye to eye anytime soon.

It's Apple. They built their system (specifically handling messaging) with proprietary whereas EVERYONE else built their systems on compatibility. Which should be an obvious thing to do considering how diverse people's taste are. Apple apparently thought they would be a monopoly and compatibility wouldnt matter. A good example of how crappy their Apple to Android/Android to Apple talking process videos. Apple takes a .mov and when sent to Android it converts to some garbage .3gp. Because you know.. .mp4 isn't most used or anything. Gotta keep it their own and have .mov files smh

Upvote 0
Apple have said that they will not support RCS. That makes RCS and Android-only protocol, just as iMessage is (by choice) an iOS-only system.

So no point ranting here because both of those decisions were made by Apple. And it's nothing to do with "it's 2021" because this isn't slow progress, it's deliberate choice. I'm frequently critical of Google, but this situation is entirely Apple's doing. Your best bet is to face reality and pick a band-aid.

Upvote 0
RCS messaging and Apple's iMessage are really only things I've read about on the interwebs, and have never actually seen them for myself. I did try to setup iMessage on my Macbook, but it always gives some error and wont activate.
Screenshot 2021-05-28 at 07.29.42.png

So even if I wanted to use iMessage, I couldn't.

And I'm pretty sure RCS isn't supported by China Unicom, etc.

The common around these parts is WeChat, which just about everyone uses for messaging, and many other things as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
The issue you're having is a long-standing problem involving transfers of photos and videos as text message attachments. It's not just an Android vs Apple thing, nor is is it directly a RCS vs iMessage matter. Back when email was the more popular way to exchange attached media files, it was only a minor issue when it came to really sizable attachments (higher res files). So 20 MB files were easily transferred, and it made no difference what operating system was on either end (sender or receiver), nor was which email service (i.e. Gmai to Yahoo to Hotmail to whatever). Email protocols were standardized as an industry standard.
But now text messaging is the norm, and it's full of incompatibilities from the start and continues even now. Proprietary standards and protocols prevent seamless interactions, and competing corporations care more about intellectual property much more than they care about their customers/user base. So text messaging, which often takes place only through cellular network exchanges, has a lot of limitations when it involves interactions between different carriers. File attachments are limited to under 1MB with a lot of carriers. So this problem has been around before RCS even came into existence. And that's a big factor in your problem with high res files being automatically scaled down to low res files in transit. As for RCS, Google has been really pushing that to be the text message standard protocol, essentially replacing SMS and MMS, the two protocols that remain as the only standards that all text messaging services support. The problem being SMS and MMS are very, very dated protocols and both have only basic capacity in today's technology. RCS is a modern protocol that is actively developed and supported but currently limited only to the Android platform as Apple has so far refused to support RCS in its iMessage app. So the benefits to RCS are only in the Android side of things. Conversely, Apple's iMessage protocol is also actively developed and well supported but it is limited only to Apple owners. Apple refuses to allow any other platform to use its iMessage standard.
When it comes to a RCS to RCS exchange, file size limits aren't an issue, but keep in mind not every Android text messaging service includes RCS support and not every cellular service support it.. When it comes to iMessage to iMessage exchanges then file size limits aren't a significant issue either. Even though RCS is not Open Source, Google does make its api open for any platform to use. Apple opts not to. So the bottom line falls back to the MMS and it's limited abilities to handle current technology. It's still the most common way for all the different cellular services to exchange file attachments.

If you want to send high res to others, copy it into an online file storage service (Google Drive, MS OneDrive, Dropbox, SpiderOak, etc.), obtain the sharable link for that file, or for a folder with multiple files in it, and just include that link in your text message. Your recipient can view or download the high res content using the link.

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones