• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

It's announced! $199 dollar very reasonably equipped smartphone!

Phases

NO LONGER ADMIN
Sep 9, 2008
Nashville, TN
Honor has announced the 5X, a $199 very acceptable smartphone! Looks like those of us coming up on an upgrade won't have to sacrifice an arm and a leg this go around - because this device is well worthy, if you ask me!

honor-5x-silver-640x427.jpg

http://phandroid.com/2016/01/06/honor-5x-us-official/

I've been using this for a few weeks and it is worth every penny of the $199. It is solid in your hand, a little weighty. Battery life is great. It will take a micro sim or a nano sim as well as a micro sd card up to 128GB I think, I have a 64GB in mine.

Edit: correction that it has a micro sim and a nano sim. sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No Verizon. Le sigh. Other than that it looks like a really nice phone. I don't see where they say Marshmallow coming or how it'll be OTA'd though, that could be a concern. Too bad about only GSM (and no NFC?), I'd really consider it for the peeps on my plan otherwise.
I was all set to pull the trigger, but no Verizon is a big problem. Wish it had NFC too.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
I've also been using the 5X for a couple of weeks now, and IMHO definitely worth the $199 asking price. Lack of NFC is a bit of a bummer for me, but not a deal breaker at this price point. You're getting a solid phone, readable screen in all but the most glaring of sunshine, extremely quick and accurate fingerprint reader with good all around performance and metal.

Upvote 0
I'm surprised they don't have CDMA for the phone, but if you're on a GSM carrier $199 for the Honor 5x is a good deal.

I don't see where they say Marshmallow coming or how it'll be OTA'd though, that could be a concern.
I'd assume they will update it to Marshmallow, but I haven't seen it mentioned in any reviews yet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones