• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

It's October, any word on USCC Froyo 2.2 update for Desire?

Hello, I am a US Cellular Desire owner from the Midwest. Just wondering what the status of an update is with my carrier. I've asked in store and gotten no definitive answer. I mean 3.0 is just around the corner and they are really dragging their feet on this one. I'm also curious as to how the update will be done. There is no option in the phone through the menu to update manually in the About Phone section. Has anyone heard what the USCC plan for update will be?

Dan

Geez dude... Why would you not want to root? Even if you keep the stock rom, life would be so much better. Rooting doesn't change anything about your phone until you go and flash custom roms and stuff like that. There is NO reason you shouldn't want to root. But, it is your phone. Lol.

yeah but wouldn't we lose our htc sense? and rooting your phone voids your warranty which some of us want to keep.. so i will be one of those people who are going to wait for the update officially lol..

Upvote 0
I talked with someone at US Cellular tech support a couple weeks ago ,and was told it will be before christmas, but that was all they knew. I was on the phone with them about 30 mins and transferred a couple times. They said it is in the plans, and they are testing it to make sure it's right before they release it. So take it for what it's worth. I came from Verizon Droid1 ,with 2.2 and am also impatiently awaiting the announcement.

Reactions: ZEUS27
Upvote 0
There was another post about this somewhere... But no real good information on the subject. I think yoir best bet is gonna be to root/flash the new version to your phone. Use unrevoked to get root access. Worked for me... I'm on uscc as well.

I have the desire on uscc as well, and am trying to root it using unrevoked. I am having problems with the hboot menu though, according to things i have read there should be an option on the hboot menu titles something like "hboot usb" but all i get is Fast Boot, recovery, clear storage and simlock. what am i missing?

Upvote 0
It's hard to believe, given their new slogan, that it will take nearly 5 months longer than most other carriers to get Froyo on USCC. They might as well skip froyo and go straight to 3.0 then, because I'll be up for a new phone contract by the time they get 3.0 at the rate they are going. I have to wonder how watered down the update will be when USCC supplies it. Belief Project my rear end is all I can say.

Upvote 0
I work for a company in Knoxville TN where we are testing how viable Android devices would be for our business. We currently have 5 HTC Desires and I was wanting to find out when the Froyo(2.2) update was going down. I gave US Cellular's Data tech services a call and gave them our scenario and he left me on hold for 5 or so minutes to talk to the engineers.

Apparently as it stands now it's looking like November at the earliest for the Froyo release on the HTC Desires. He said that's no where near a guarantee and that if during the testing in the next few weeks, if they notice anything peculiar they will push it back further.

Upvote 0
THEY ARE WITHOUT A DOUBT DRAGGING THEIR FEET! Even the new samsung galaxy s phone they have begun to sell does not have 2.2. Also, uscc will be selling the galaxy tab soon also... So, an update has to be soon. And in response to a previous post... Rooting does NOT disable htc sense. Blitz over on xda has got a few custom roms up and running... Cdma desire owners (like myself) can get 2.2 that way for now.

Upvote 0
THEY ARE WITHOUT A DOUBT DRAGGING THEIR FEET! Even the new samsung galaxy s phone they have begun to sell does not have 2.2. Also, uscc will be selling the galaxy tab soon also... So, an update has to be soon. And in response to a previous post... Rooting does NOT disable htc sense. Blitz over on xda has got a few custom roms up and running... Cdma desire owners (like myself) can get 2.2 that way for now.

No Rooting does NOT disable htc sense but it will void your warranty!!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones