• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Ive done all the suggestions to help the battery drain, not working...

Savatage79

Nov 17, 2012
I know theres already so many of these but im just so frustrated with getting this phone and seeing how my battery is on a rip. Ive done what has been suggested, disabled a ton of stock apps that were no good, turned off all the sync stuff and have no accounts syncing, i put juicedefender in the mix, ive done as much as i can for what ive read and my phone just clicks off battery like it has nothing better to do.

When im using my phone the batter seems to hold, meaning it doesnt really drop to quick even if im browsing alot and loading some stuff up etc....

Its that damn standby/sleep mode that is obviously doing something. OR...is it my sorry connection? I just put GSAM on and i burned 1% of my batter in 3 minutes...that cant be right, can it?

Around here in Pittsburgh youd think ive had a better connection, at home im getting 2-3 bars on the galaxy. Now prior to this i had an Atrix and that thing was pretty solid, and i got 2-3 bars on that phone but it never drained battery like this.

Is connection my culprit? But when i look at my batter stats, alot of the time it is saying cell radio, or standby as a huge chunk of usage.

While typing this, it dropped another percentage with the battery...something has to be out of place because the other day when i first juicedefender on, i thought all my battery woes were solved as it seemed to really last.

Anyone got some ideas?

Are you still on ICS? In that case there's a slight issue with the cell standby reporting, which is shown to be abnormally consuming battery, which isn't true. It's just a report error and it doesn't affect actual battery life. By the way, how does your battery fare overnight (if it isn't on charge)? If it drops a 6 - 8 % it's fine as the percentage between 90% to 100% isn't that accurate. Also, if you read too much into battery life, disable the percentage notification, and just keep the icon. Don't get me wrong, but I've seen enough people worrying too much because of that.

Upvote 0
I know theres already so many of these but im just so frustrated with getting this phone and seeing how my battery is on a rip. Ive done what has been suggested, disabled a ton of stock apps that were no good, turned off all the sync stuff and have no accounts syncing, i put juicedefender in the mix, ive done as much as i can for what ive read and my phone just clicks off battery like it has nothing better to do.

When im using my phone the batter seems to hold, meaning it doesnt really drop to quick even if im browsing alot and loading some stuff up etc....

Its that damn standby/sleep mode that is obviously doing something. OR...is it my sorry connection? I just put GSAM on and i burned 1% of my batter in 3 minutes...that cant be right, can it?

Around here in Pittsburgh youd think ive had a better connection, at home im getting 2-3 bars on the galaxy. Now prior to this i had an Atrix and that thing was pretty solid, and i got 2-3 bars on that phone but it never drained battery like this.

Is connection my culprit? But when i look at my batter stats, alot of the time it is saying cell radio, or standby as a huge chunk of usage.

While typing this, it dropped another percentage with the battery...something has to be out of place because the other day when i first juicedefender on, i thought all my battery woes were solved as it seemed to really last.

Anyone got some ideas?

If you haven't tried keep your phone on wifi at home, poor signal will most definitely drain your battery. I have poor signal at home and if I forget to put in wifi it will drain fast.

Upvote 0
Yea its still ICS, least as far as i know. I just got it a few days ago and i am not a huge phone junkie so i know i didnt put anything on it, and im assuming ICS is how they are coming from the factory?

A few things ive noticed is in my running apps is a factory mode, mapservicesamsung, google services,maps, att hot spots, synchronize.

And these things tick constantly, ive tried disabling maps...but somehow keeps coming back. Are any of these possible culprits that just add unneeded activity?

Upvote 0
It just seems to be at a steady tick regardless of whats happening, like it was 81% showing with GSAM and in a 10 minute conversation it clicked down to about 78%, is that considered normal?

Another question i have, in the app manager....what about cached processes? How should i handle these?

It gets confusing because i went and disabled all these useless apps, but yet it seems they are running in the cached process area, or is that not the case?

As i said before, im not a phone fanatic and so this stuff isnt just a natural thing for me to understand and know....so thats why i just need a little help seeing whats what.

Upvote 0
Try not to obsess about battery percentage every minute of the day. We can only tell you what is normal based on a full days usage using screenshots including screen on time. I cannot tell you if 3% is normal in 10 minutes, even if I knew what the phone was doing in that time, let alone now without knowing.

Forget about the 3% here and 10 minutes there. We need big blocks of time. 8 hours or more, with screenshots. If you obsess over the finer details of battery life, you'll never enjoy the phone. Only worry if the battery doesn't last what you would expect it to... Eg, if you expect it to last a day and it doesn't, get back to us with usage data - otherwise, forget about it.

Also, don't bother handling cached processes. Let it do its thing. Your job is to turn it on and use it. Don't get bogged down in micromanagement. Android does what it needs to automatically. Only if it is not lasting the day should you be concerned, and only then if your usage is minimal

Upvote 0
If you feel like you need to disable features to get two days worth of battery then you are missing out on all the features that make this phone great. I plug mine in every night whether I have 5% left or 50% left. I have all features on (some of my sync I have set to only update every few hours) sync,gps,motions,google now,email. Unless you are planning a trip with no access to power I wouldn't be to concerned about getting 1 day of use.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones