• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Slug

Check six!
Aug 1, 2009
Inverness, UK
I upgraded from the Xperia Z, which has served me well for over two years, but it's starting to show a few grey hairs. The IP67 rating is important to me as I'm an "outdoors person" in Scotland, and I've been happy with Sony's take on Android. So I took the plunge on a Z3+ as its successor, expecting an improvement. After 24hrs with it here are my initial thoughts....

1. Don't do anything other than basic setup, as there's a good chance you'll find an update waiting for you out of the box! I was forewarned by a colleague's experience, and skipped all account setup. I ignored the OTA prompt, connected to PC Companion, updated to the latest 28.0.A.7.27 firmware, rebooted, factory-reset and then completed the Setup Guide. A bit more work, but imo worth it to start from a clean slate.

2. It's beautifully designed and built. The edges are nicely curved, the back is flawless glass, and the single port cover is a snug fit. The SIM/microSD card slot is now combined and uses a single tray for both. The usual screen protector is included, although this time pre-fitted (flawlessly on my example) rather than loose in the box. A 1500mAh charger (see #7) is included, along with charging/data cable and the now-obligatory Xperia Transfer a.k.a. USB-OTG cable. No earphones were included, presumably as my device was bundled with a pair of over-ear hi-res 'phones as a special launch deal.

3. The much-publicised SD810 over-heating issue hasn't (yet) reared it's ugly head. The colleague previously mentioned was seeing pop-up warnings when just opening the camera and updating apps, but I've seen none at all in the 24hrs I've been using the phone in anger. Yes it gets warm when taking several full-res images, listening to 320kbps MP3s for an hour (incidentally DSEE HX isn't hype - you can hear the difference), and watching 30mins of 1080p video, but not worryingly so and not any more than the Z.

4. The screen is gorgeous, a huge advance over the Xperia Z's display. The IPS panel gives wide viewing angles, and the 130% srgb gamut means vibrant yet natural colour. I'll have to wait for summer to materialise before judging its direct sunlight performance, but so far indoors or out it's coped admirably. Yes it's not qHD/4K, but how many of us actually need qHD in a smartphone? So long as the HD tv/video and full-frame DSLR images I regularly view look good I'm content.

5. As with the display, the camera awaits a proper examination if/when I see some decent weather. A few brief indoor shots using the default Superior Auto settings to record the IEMIs on a couple of trashed iPhones revealed that the Exmor RS sensor can record an almost noise-free indoor image under fluorescent lighting without flash.

6. Radio performance is boring... no problems connecting to 3G/4G or assorted wifi APs. Voice quality is good, both at my end and (according to my two guinea pigs) theirs.

7. Battery performance... the jury''s still out. It's used 66% since coming off charge 12hrs ago, but screen-on time is 3hrs 40mins due to lots of tinkering and showing-off. A few more charge cycles and a normalised usage pattern will allow better judgement. On this subject... points deducted, Sony, for (a) trumpeting the Fast Charging 2.0 capability but only including your standard 1500mAh charger in the box, and (b) once again restricting QI wireless charging to the niche VZW variant. :(

Overall, I'm delighted with the handset. In many respects it's just a slightly larger-yet-slimmer Z, beefed up with 2015-level specs and features. That's something I'm totally cool with. :D

Regarding battery performance:

Here's the usage graph for my first full cycle (100% - "low charge" warning @ 15%)

medium.jpg

Unfortunately the second History Details image didn't save correctly first time around, but this one will do; ignore the grey as it was captured while phone was connected to my PC.

medium.jpg

I'm back at work tomorrow so will be using the phone less. I'll enable Stamina Mode and see what difference this makes.

Reactions: Jashan Saini
Upvote 0
I'm experiencing terrible battery if I'm honest, I had the same issue when I upgraded my z3 compact to kit kat. Ever since then, I may as well have had a landlines phone.

Couple of examples below. What are your thoughts, or am I expecting too much and this is the norm? View attachment 90372View attachment 90373
What's happening to keep your GPS locked on like that??

Were you using the phone for navigation?

If not navigating, GPS ought to be very infrequent blips as scheduled by location weather or the like.

So, if not navigating you're taking a double hit - one for the processor by whatever app is going nuts on location, and another to power your GPS processing (and radio) for no good reason.

I wouldn't turn off GPS, I'd find the app causing that and sort it from there.

Reactions: omalls33
Upvote 0
Ok thanks alot. I'm a bit new to android, used to be iPhone all the way until the z3 compact, now the z3+.

I wasn't navigating, I was on the train commuting, using a few social media apps and Web surfing. Probably the apps? Il take a look.

Also, my wifi is off. But it shows on there as constant?!

Upvote 0
Ok thanks alot. I'm a bit new to android, used to be iPhone all the way until the z3 compact, now the z3+.

I wasn't navigating, I was on the train commuting, using a few social media apps and Web surfing. Probably the apps? Il take a look.
Turn off location in the social apps and your web browser.

That ought to help quite a bit.

In your main settings, location - see if you agree with the location preferences there.

Unrelated but for good measure - if your phone has NFC and you're not using it, turn that one off.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help. I've turned them off for twitter and snapchat, which is a battery killer anyway isn't it?

I have tried a few clean up apps to kill battery and data usage, eg cooler Master and greenify. Do you recomend any?

Nfc is off, but still unsure on that wifi one..I rarely have it on.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones