I've tried the iPhone - it's awesome!

Last Updated:

1. OM2

OM2 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I tried someones iPhone today
    It was only the ordinary iPhone 3G (not even the 3GS)
    And also tried someones iPod Touch
    Verdict of GUI and usability of both: awesome, absolutely drop dead awesome!

I'm not a super expert on Android phones by any means
    I've use Mini Pulse, HTC Tattoo and Xperia X10
    I love these phones for the extra functionality you can get as opposed to other phones
    (My vote for the best application ever goes to Google Navigation - but that's a different topic in itself!)

Question: Why is Android lacking in the GUI and usability department?
    Using the iPhone: wow! It's *just* the subtle things, like how you go from one screen to another - that's it!! I probably can't comment on anything else

I'd also add that the dragging seemed sooo natural
    And heck: I could type on the screen using the keyboard!
    On the damn Xperia X10 (with the whopping GIANT screen, typing is a painful experience vertically - and only marginally better when horizontal)

The interface of the Apple: must have been dreamed up by a genious
    But why isn't it copied on the Android??

I'm sure Apple can't have a patent on the menu screens and how they flip from one screen to another?

I can't see any excuse!

God Bless Google for bringing Android to the world
    But heck, it's not exactly special!
    The only thing going for it is: it's free and lots of phones have it + has Google applications integrated
    I'd stretch my neck out to say that Microsoft could have brought out a better interface

Yeee haaaa... I'm off to buy an iPhone!
    Erm... actually no... I'll stick to Android
    The only thing stopping me is: money
    It's not so much the affordability for me, but rather not wanting to pay

Advertisement
  2. macprv

macprv Well-Known Member

Save money and buy u an iPhone... I wish android never copies appple's interface... i would die without Widgets, live wallpapers, multitasking, and other things like the availability to replace key apps like the messaging app or the whole launcher... apps like sweeterhome are a clear example of how awesome android is.. if you don't like you default interface .. u can just change it ;)

Oh and by the way.. u should try a phone with a newer android os. Like the nexus one.

3. UrbanMuppet

UrbanMuppet Guest

Per request of a moderator I am no longer a contributing member. Account pending for deletion.

4. OM2

thanks for the reply. for me, it was just the subtle things that made the iphone stand one.
    i've tried os 2.1. better than os 1.6.

widgets? surely the iphone has this as well?
    multitasking? the iphone has this as well surely? how can u *not* have multitasking? is multitasking having several different applications open at the same time?

nexus one? i'll see. i'm getting the x10 mini pro next. (i know its os 1.6) i'm just intrgued how good it can be being such a small phone.

5. OM2

that is true
    but there *must* be a winner in the race :)
    my point (maybe is said it badly) is that android doesn't actually have to do much to be on par with the GUI factor - all the hard work has been done

6. UrbanMuppet

UrbanMuppet Guest

Per request of a moderator I am no longer a contributing member. Account pending for deletion.

7. OM2

ok... i suppose ur right
    just typing too fast and hitting submit on my posts :)

8. macprv

macprv Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the iPhone doesn't have Widgets.. all it has is icons(boring and lame IMHO), yeah the new iPhone 4 "multitasks" but its not real and completely multitask, not close to what android offers or like webos, which is a bit more polished multitasking.

+1 well said

9. caustic

caustic Well-Known Member

2.2 has some more smoothness to it, which I like. But to me personally, the iphone has always seems a little more natural and responsive than any Android phone I've used. Scrolling, between animations, etc. Google announced that now that Android has been mostly defined in all its capabilities and features, they're focusing on improving the GUI in the next version.

10. UrbanMuppet

UrbanMuppet Guest

11. Railroadmaster

Railroadmaster Well-Known Member

Personally the iPhone has prettier interface. I really like the default Android interface very much. I really only find iPhone to win in the eyecandy department but htc sense and touchwiz do a good job for eyecandy.

12. HustlinDaily

HustlinDaily Well-Known Member

My sister has an iPhone. I used it a few times. Came away bored as hell.

13. ari-free

ari-free Well-Known Member

Android widgets:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The closest thing to having multiple windows open like on your desktop

14. ari-free

ari-free Well-Known Member

15. Robinelli

Robinelli Well-Known Member

My friend called me on her Iphone today from the grocery store... We spoke a few seconds and then she had to go so she could access her list on her grocery app... She couldn't talk to me and look at it at the same time!!! I can do that on my android phone. I have the same apps.

I have the Mytouch slide and it works just as easy and nicely as her IPhone. Just FYI.

16. HustlinDaily

HustlinDaily Well-Known Member

I don't think he is a troll, just don't think he knows much. iPhone is perfect for him, he should get it.

Steve Jobs beheads iPad apps for acting like desktops ? The Register

17. xzillerationer

xzillerationer Well-Known Member

The ios has great full android worthy multitasking... for apples apps. First party apps never close. Third party apps do. If ios got Widgets I would cry

Sent from my Eris

18. LoyalServant

LoyalServant Well-Known Member

I wouldn't.
    I would feel more sorry for them because the widgets would most likely be gimped from the start.

I can't see it happening.
    Control is to Steve Jobs what cocaine is to Rick James.

19. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Why does everyone go ball-faced nuts over a 4x4 grid row of icons that's nothing new?

20. Bnice

Bnice Guest

Look at your 3g or Gs and the iphone 4 same old UI..

21. lifeonmtv

lifeonmtv Well-Known Member

It doesn't

It doesn't, not proper multitasking, only selective very limited multitasking.

.....[​IMG]

22. OM2

"Nothing stops the manufacturers from removing the default UI for their own."
    surely that defeats the purpose of having a universal platform for all in the first place?
    i wouldn't trust the likes of samsung or motorola to come up with their own interface - that would be dangerous, in my experience, they've sucked with their usbability on their OS's

"samsung galaxy S Android UI"
    wow! looks awesome - definitely want to try out

wow... i'm really sorry if i hit a nerve point for u
    would u rather have people stop talking and discussing (and some like me asking what may seem to be a dumb question)?

awesome: someone ask's a few questions and gives their honest opinion and now they're a troll?
    no i'm not.
    i'll be using this forum a lot more hopefully. i've only recently stumbled onto android phones recently. if i post in future - please don't ignore because u think i'm a troll :(

"I don't think he is a troll, just don't think he knows much. iPhone is perfect for him, he should get it."
    i'll be honest, if the iphone was

23. OM2

i read that article. very interesting.
    i am NOT defending steve jobs or apple by saying the following...
    but, i recently viewed a 1.5 hours interview of him.
    amongst other things he discussed the issue about flash and how and why apple banned it.
    most things said in criticism in the media about the rationale of dumping flash as being a crazy and bizaare idea are completely true i would say
    but, then, there's always another side to the story. the way that steve explained his answer was brilliant - u can still put him down for banning flash, but at least u should understand the reasonings and thought behind the decision
    after listening to the interview: i completely understand why they banned flash (i'd also add that i'm a BIG fan of flash and spend a lot of time coding in it)

for similar reasons, i would suggest that there is a story to tell as to why they have banned the application mentioned in the article

it does sound bizaare and crazy though - an application is *only* allowed to do one thing and is shot down because it has the time or news or something displayed while showing a photo? weird

also interesting what the article says at the bottom about the android applications market being like the wild west and that he doesn't consider it to be a good enough alternative to the iphone market

hey: don't have a go at me for pointing that out! :)

i'm sure android will get better and better in time

24. ivanzorkic

ivanzorkic Well-Known Member

While Flash has some bad points (every software does) the only - ONLY - reason why Apple doesn't allow Flash is money. It has NOTHING to do with poor performance, battery life, buggy things, etc. The real reason for not supporting Flash is because it would bring a new application ecosystem to the iProducts (games and music apps - such as Pandora - which could then run from a website instead via an app from the Appstore) - one where Apple wouldn't have any control and, more importantly, couldn't charge a dime. You could listen to songs and play games without paying Apple, simple as that.

While this is somewhat understandable for a company that practically lives off its Appstore (possibly the main source of income for Apple), the amount of lies they throw at people is what makes them a$$es.

25. Slated

Slated Active Member

The Register article quoted by HustlinDaily pretty much covers the main reason I will never get an iPhone, or any Apple product, but I'll also add:

• No Flash (that kills the iPhone stone dead for me)
    • No proper multitasking
    • (Ref the 4G) I hate "square" brick designs
    • Boring and inflexible UI
    • Over-hyped (marketing hysteria just makes me run away)
    • An app store burgeoning with second-rate Shovelware
    • iPhone jaundice (a.k.a. yellow fever of death)
    • Poor antenna design (or "you're not holding it right, stupid")
    • Too proprietary and locked-down, with unnecessary obstacles to both use and development
    • Apple's (and in particular Steve Jobs') vicious arrogance and anti-consumer attitude

But by far the best justification I have for never getting an iPhone, is that I've used others' extensively, and so from personal experience I know exactly what it's like, and my conclusion is that, even ignoring the above list of issues, it's nothing more than "average" (at best) when compared to current generation Android devices. Factor in the above issues, and the result is something that has no appeal to me whatsoever, at any price.