• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Japanese HTC EVO Wimax ISW11HT (4G) rooting HELP!?

So I have yet to be successful in rooting this phone. I will list what I have tried and see if anyone has any other ideas I haven't thought of yet.
I tried going into Linux on the off chance that it was software on my windows systems that was stopping revolutionary from rooting. This was not the case. I have also tried using z4root to get a temp root and then running revolutionary. Same result of failed to get root. After that I downloaded a stock image file renamed it to PC3IMG6.zip put it in the root of my SD card and tried to fast boot it. I got an error telling me the main version was older, recovery failed. I also tried running this program RUU_SuperSonic_K_KDDI_JP_1.05.970.1_Radio_2.15.00.03.04_NV_2.11_release_176711_signed.exe and it is telling me that it loses communication with my phone upon reboot. So I switched out usb cables and usb ports. This is where I am leaving it for the night. If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it.

Upvote 0
uhh guys i got some news. im on stock au-kddi rom from xhausx and i ran the cmail client update OTA again. market just updated, native japanese paid apps can be downloaded and installed with updates, google apps just updated, i can send/receive c-mail/sms now. need to go out for a while, will post more details later. :)

UPDATE:

from cgm7 i went to recovery (amon), did a backup on my current rom, wiped using calkulin's format all, then did a nandroid restore (again) of xhausx's stock au-kddi rom. once rebooted, sms/cmail was not possible, although market was ok. i went to check OTA updates, and a download was available for cmail. ive read somewhere in the thread that you can't do OTA's in this phase, but i did it anyway. it downloaded, i installed it, an it went to recovery by itself. from recovery, the installation screen sort of hung; i chose restart, then the screen suddenly said "flashing zip file", a very tense moment, then restarted. i'm like, what have i done?

at any rate, upon booting a congratulations note saying i had upgraded was on the screen. i could then use sms/cmail to send/receive messages, gps/wimax/wifi was ok, market updated itself (it was a relief to see the prices on apps back to yen instead of dollars again), japanese keyboard is back, downloaded paid apps and installed some, google apps (maps, gmail, etc) auto updated too. i am on froyo 2.2.1, and everything seems back to normal.

checked software updates again, and the gingerbread OTA was available. i chose not to update, because it's the reason i rooted my phone in the first place :D i use yahoo messenger to chat with my wife and kids abroad; and updating caused the front cam not to work.

i also checked my CID, and it seems that it has reverted from sprint back to kddi; that's probably why i could use the local market again. as for the hboot, well...

-Revolutionary-
SUPERSONIC DVT1 SHIP S-OFF
HBOOT-6.16.1002
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-AMTEL224_20aa
RADIO-2.15.00.05.06

hboot is unchanged, and i still have s-off, which is curious because i can't run root explorer on my current stock rom. at the moment, it's fine enough for me :) my phone is where i want it to be. i think :D

thanks to all the people in this thread for taking me on that wild ride xD and thanks to xhausx for making it possible to come back from it...sort of ;) i really do hope someone finds a way to resolve the issues using custom roms; im sorta missing CGM7 already! :D

cheers!

I tried this method... but it aborts at the part when I try to flash Haus's stock nandroid telling me it can't find update script. Help? I put the zip file into the root directory. Trying again after I create a nandroid folder under root and put everything inside.

Upvote 0
Finally got help getting back to stock from SharpIS03! The Sharp Solution worked! Thanks so much everyone for getting me (back) to this point of stock working goodness! Got back to stock and am proceeding to OTA update twice. Might stop here for now since I'm terrified of rooting now. Lol! Wimax seems to be back. Can't be sure because it just shows up as disconnected. I assume I might be out of coverage area. Hopefully it picks up a signal some place soon. Haven't seen it for almost a year! Hahaha! Thanks so much Sharp!!!

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Ok so I'm trying to find out if anyone is still around and using GB Roms.
I've been cooking up a custom rom using the kddi rom base, and I've incorporated a lot of the mods found on the sprint base. I'm assuming no ones had success in flashing some of them directly to our rom, I didn't! Differences in xml values and the like!!

Anyway I was wondering if anyone would like to test/try it out, tell me of any bugs, improvements, or any other things to add?? I'm also considering a 3d port, but that may prove a bit beyond me:egg:.

Contact me either here or g+ or xda (same user name), to let me know if you're interested:).

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
After i stuck in Hboot 6.17 and cant update with OTA or root with Revolutionay. When I flash the stock rom it show that The Main version is older. So you have to downgrade it before flash the stock rom.

You have to install android sdk and Hex editor (and relative tools)

step1 download z4root install it and use temporary root it.
step2 we get temp root now. open a cmd and input adb shell
step3 input su root(it will change the icon).
step4 copy the mtd1 file to sdcard.
input cat /dev/mtd/mtd1 > /sdcard/misc.img
step5 move the misc.img to your pc and use some hex editor to edit it.
step6 goto 11 row, you will find current version number. (in my case is 4.24.651.1)
step7 change it to 1.0.000.1 save the file. (should backup the original one)
step8 copy the flash tool and misc.img back to sdcard(flash tool:http://www.android-hilfe.de/attachme...lash_image.zip).
step9 input cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
step10 input chmod 755 /data/flash_image
step11 /data/flash_image misc /sdcard/misc.img

Now you can flash officail KDDI PC36IMG.zip by bootloader or ruu rom.
Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites! KDDI Evos (Japan):
1.05.970.1_PC36IMG.zip (MD5: 78F9E8BFEE705F34790A46C258268F02)

It work for me ... let try it by yourself..:D

Does anyone have the KDDI PC36IMG.zip. The link leads to a dead end now.

Upvote 0
Does anyone have the KDDI PC36IMG.zip. The link leads to a dead end now.

PC361IMG.zip
This should be the one you want its from march 2011. dont forget to remove -RUU from the name:p

click here
This is a link to sharp's root kit. I think it contains the ruu you're looking for.
You can extract the rom image you're looking for from it if my other link don't work.

I hope they're the right ones for you and that you can get back to stock. :)
Let us know your results , if you were successful or what not!

Upvote 0
Hey folks. From the beginning, forgive me but I'm new to all this (lots of experience with jailbreaking iPhones, but nothing with Androids).

I got the au EVO a year ago, but I left Japan and moved back to the States so now I want to gain root so I can use it on a provider here. I read through this whole thread and a few others (including "ROOTING For Dummies.....The Gingerbread Edition"), following what was said to do, but I cannot get Revolutionary to work for me; every time I run it it says, "Failed to get Root! :(" I read above that Revolutionary works for some but not others. Is it just chance, or is there a more definite way to tell whether the phone can/not be rooted?

Upvote 0
Continuing...

HBOOT screen reads:
Supersonic DVT1 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-2.15.0001
MICROP-041f
RADIO-2.15.00.02.13

Settings>About Phone>Software Information Reads:
Android Version: 2.3.4
Baseband Version 2.15.00.02.13
Kernel Version 2.6.35.10-ge792f86
Build number: 2.26.970.1 CL327824 release-keys
Software number: 2.26.970.1
Browser Version: WebKit/533.1
PRI Version: 2.28_01C

Don't know how much of that info might be pertinent, but there you go. I factory-restored the phone, backed up the SD card and erased it, so now the phone is like new. Had it in Charge Only mode with debugging on and fastboot off. If anybody knows anything that can help me, I will be forever in your digital debt!

Upvote 0
Hey FrostbitPhoeni,
The way I got my phone rooted was by following the guide set up by SharpIS03. You will have to first use taco root to downgrade your partitions, flash the old ruu and update twice to an older software version and then use revolutionary.

Edit: You've already got the drivers, and SDK files you need I'm guessing?

Here's the link, and its better explained:
Instructions: au KDDI HTC EVO WiMax ISW11HT, 2.26.970.1 custom stock ROM + root

Read through the different sections. The instruction are well laid out and easy to follow, I managed it!
Hope this helps, and if you get stuck let us know:)

EDIT: Just a heads up. For the last part flashing a custom ROM, you'll obviously want to use a Sprint based one, not what Sharp is recommending! Just to make sure:p

Also I was thinking about this previously, as another member was asking about a similar thing. I said that it should be possible to switch to a US based carrier. However I got thinking and that the usim of KDDI au functions differently from others, so I'm not sure it will work with US carriers based on that.
Now I could be completely wrong here, but anyways its worth a shot I guess.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones