• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root JB Won't Install...

I have a Motorola Razr on Verizon currently. I rooted my device, but didn't install any roms once I received it about 2 months ago. When the OTA update popped up and started downloading on my phone, I was excited. It downloaded completely and I chose the install now option. The phone rebooted and went to "install mode". About a third of the way through the installation, a red exclamation point popped up and it restarted the phone. Once it fully booted back up, it said the installation failed.

I thought it did that because I was rooted. I tried two more times to do the install and it failed both times, so I unrooted my device. I tried downloading and installing the update again after unrooting and the same issue happened again.

Help! What am I doing wrong?:thinking:

make sure you've still got all the original bloatware on the phone. a lot of people who root will start removing that stuff and then when the OTAs come along, they're in exactly your situation.

you can also make sure you haven't baked anything into the OS since you rooted. the same thing happened to me this way, one of my apps needed something to be integrated into the OS in order to function correctly and i forgot to remove it prior to attempting the OTA.

finally, if neither of those things are true and you plan to root again, you can just use DROID RAZR Utility 1.90 -- Windows + Mac + Linux (All In One!) - DroidRzr.com and do a manual install of JB. it's got step-by-steps on how to install, root, and finish the install. of course it wipes your data, so make backups. and do a FDR before you start reinstalling apps.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info, Ssith.

I am at work currently, so I can't download the utility yet. However, you said I need to make sure I have removed all the stuff that was added once I rooted. I thought I did that, however, when I turned my phone back on, it showed the Safestrap Recovery screen before booting up like normal. How do I remove that?

I deleted all remaining files elsewhere...

Upvote 0
you can remove safestrap from within the program itself. open the safestrap app and uninstall recovery. you'll probably need root to do this.

and you don't need to remove anything other than the apps you made into a part of the OS itself. and technically, you don't need to remove them, you just need to not make them system apps.

Upvote 0
Having similar issues...won't install update. I was rooted, unrooted phone, first think I unfroze any frozen apps (weren't many). I'm still on stock ROM, never changed it after rooting (just wanted access to wifi tethering). Still have some root applications on, obviously not usable. Thinking of return to factory state (factory data reset), nervous, not sure if I should/have to click on "erase internal storage". I may try removing Safestrap, then retrying the upgrade. Any suggestions for a newbie? Thanks.

Upvote 0
I tried returning phone to factory state, thought that would fix things. Then tried upgrade again, still got error, couldn't complete upgrade, and now phone not working correctly. When I make or receive calls, I hear the caller, but they don't hear me. Can't find what's wrong, another return to factory state didn't help. Time to go to Verizon (have to wait until Monday or later, though, with Easter...)

Upvote 0
I still don't have a working phone (can only speak into it with a bluetooth device, mic doesn't work since JB update attempt). Went to Verizon store, I generally know more than the "technical support" people there (and I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, really a newbie that bites off more than he knows how to chew). Anyway, he had no clue, to get a new Razr Maxx tomorrow, start from scratch. Thanks for the info, may still need it, who knows...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones