• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Jelly Bean 4.2.x, Change in Bluetooth Behaviour ?

geoffwh

Lurker
Dec 9, 2012
Has anyone noticed a change in behavior of a bluetooth connected headset after the 4.2.x upgrade? Since the upgrade, bluetooth spontaneously disconnects after a short idle period, which means that an incoming call is not extended to my headset to be answered.

UK driving law makes handling a cell phone whilst driving illegal, so this new behavior is annoying. (Answering a call via a headset button is OK.)

(Galaxy Nexus, Android 4.2.1, Plantronics Voyager Pro BT Headset)

I have issues with BT sometimes. When it acts up, it won't connect (though the phone shows it as connected), and you also can't turn it off (the phone shows it as "turning off" for hours).

Mostly it works, but when it doesn't, I have to restart the phone. I did a factory reset, it did not fix this particular issue. And I did not have any BT issues prior to 4.2.

Upvote 0
Has anyone noticed a change in behavior of a bluetooth connected headset after the 4.2.x upgrade? Since the upgrade, bluetooth spontaneously disconnects after a short idle period, which means that an incoming call is not extended to my headset to be answered.

UK driving law makes handling a cell phone whilst driving illegal, so this new behavior is annoying. (Answering a call via a headset button is OK.)

(Galaxy Nexus, Android 4.2.1, Plantronics Voyager Pro BT Headset)
OK, I've tried a factory reset and am still having BT problems as previously described. I've haven't tried running without any apps to see if one of those is causing a problem. I'll just accept that BT is broken in 4.2.1 and I can no longer use my 'phone whilst driving.

Upvote 0
OK, I've tried a factory reset and am still having BT problems as previously described. I've haven't tried running without any apps to see if one of those is causing a problem. I'll just accept that BT is broken in 4.2.1 and I can no longer use my 'phone whilst driving.
*Update* I installed a third-party voice dialer some months ago, because Google Search performance was sub-optimal. I've just un-installed the dialer and after preliminary testing the BT problems seem to have gone. Further, I find Google Search voice dialing performance is significantly improved in JB 4.2.n, maybe to give a usable solution.

Upvote 0
I've said this in a few threads, so forgive me being a broken record if you've read this before. The sound is just terrible with this new 4.2 bluetooth stack. Anything in the upper range is distorted and tinny. It's like listening to the worst possible MP3 rip you've got in your collection, except that it's on every song. I've actually rolled back to 4.1.2 until they fix this mess they've made. I guess the devs over at Google were strictly wired in when listening to the music b/c the sound is really terrible. Huge whiff here.

Upvote 0
i know it's been a while since this question was posed but i had the same problem, all solved by an app called Bluetooth Keepalive by Alexander Brickwedde that's available in the pay store, now my BT stays connected to my headset or car stero without drop outs. there's a fair bit of compatibility info on the store so do check that out first.

Upvote 0
Maybe its the version of BT on your devices.

I have JB on both my GN and N7. I keep my BT on 24/7 on the phone and part time on the N7. On my phone, its connected to my car whenever I turn the car on since the phone essentially replaces my car stereo so I use it a lot. I can't recall a single disconnect between my car and my phone.

On my N7, I use it with a set of BT headphone (and occasionally I do the same on my phone). Neither has any problems as well. I use it for about 30 minutes/day.

My car's BT was upgraded last year by the manufacturer so its pretty recent. Maybe thats the difference.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones