• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Banished Angel

Android Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2012
IN, USA
While I love my Evo all good things must come to an end. I was planning on keeping this phone for a year before upgrading, but the Nexus 4 just hit the spot for me.

The 16GB version can be found here:
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_4_16gb

1.5GHz quad core, 2GB RAM, 720p IPS screen, Android 4.2, and the fact that it's a Nexus device with no manufacturer overlay (not to mention frequent updates) sold me. The 8GB version is available for $300, while the 16GB version runs $350. I'm going to buy the unlocked 16GB version straight from Google and activate it on T-Mobile's prepaid service (Unlimited data, texting, and 100 minutes for $30 a month off contract). I hardly ever talk on my phone so 100 minutes is enough, but you can get unlimited calling, data, and texting for $50 a month on their pre-paid plan if you talk a lot.

I would like to say thank you to this community for making this phone usable for the time I've had it. I have not once received a radio interference error thanks to the guide on flashing a new radio by Leslie Ann. I would also like to thank Mobstergunz for Mobster ROM, which has been a great daily driver. The Nexus 4 isn't available for another 2 weeks, but I figured i'd get my goodbye out of the way lol.

This will be my most likely scenario also. The service here isn't bad, 3G is decent actually, usually floating between 1-2mbps down and 6-12 down on 4G....but the N4 and it's specs just drew me in. That and my area just got the HSPA+ 42 last month, it should be plenty fast.

Maybe I'll see some of you guys on that side.

Upvote 0
This will be my most likely scenario also. The service here isn't bad, 3G is decent actually, usually floating between 1-2mbps down and 6-12 down on 4G....but the N4 and it's specs just drew me in. That and my area just got the HSPA+ 42 last month, it should be plenty fast.

Maybe I'll see some of you guys on that side.

What is the point of 4G lte when you can reach your throttle to 3g limit in 15 seconds or less. I'd rather have unlimited spotty 4G with mediocre service than pay up to double or more my current bill for a relative plan at tmo.

Until the big telcos stop crapping on their customers I see absolutely no point in getting overcharged.

Upvote 0
It's HSPA+, not LTE. I don't use 5 gigs of data. I have fantastic coverage for all major carriers, one of the benefits of living in Vegas ;)

Although, network vision doesn't look like it's gonna hit here anytime soon. That's a benefit of staying on prepaid too, once LTE does arrive here, I don't have to wait til my contract is up.

I'm keeping my Evo V for a little while just to make sure I like the nexus and tmo.

Upvote 0
T-Mobile doesn't offer LTE yet. The HSPA+ "4G" is really more like 3.5G. It offers speeds much faster than 3G, but by definition it doesn't use true 4G (LTE) technology (technically the 4G Wimax on the Evo 3D isn't true 4G either). That being said, it is still capable of reaching speeds well over 10Mbps. The $30 plan i'm switching to comes with 5GB throttle. I don't get 4G from Sprint in my area and on their 3g network I don't even use 5GB in a month. For me it makes sense to switch to T-Mobile, pay $10 less a month, and get a phone with specs over 2x better than the Evo 3D. Not to mention always getting the newest Android OS right when it comes out. The Evo 3D is stuck on Android 4.0.3 (officially, obviously there's always Cyanogenmod), while the Nexus 4 ships with Android 4.2 and will get 4.3 and 5.0 when they come out. To each their own, but for me it makes sense to get a superior phone on a cheaper plan.

Upvote 0
I agree.

For me, there is absolutely nothing wrong with my Evo. It's still a good phone, even for being a bit outdated. I get good speeds nearly everywhere I go.

T-Mobile also has good coverage. The price of the N4 is too good of a deal (for me) to pass up. Plus being technically 3G, it'll be better on my battery than the power hog that WiMax is and better building penetration.

Either plan would work for me but for a way better phone and cheaper plan, why wouldn't I give it a shot?

Upvote 0
Unfortunately I might not be able to do it. I could return the phone within 30 days (happens to be the same day as the N4). I could deal with a few days without a phone, but I just bought a car mount and already placed the adhesive disk in my car. I doubt amazon would take the kit back without the adhesive disk. Might have the stick with the Evo then.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately I might not be able to do it. I could return the phone within 30 days (happens to be the same day as the N4). I could deal with a few days without a phone, but I just bought a car mount and already placed the adhesive disk in my car. I doubt amazon would take the kit back without the adhesive disk. Might have the stick with the Evo then.

Sure they will. Amazon is pretty good with returns.

Upvote 0
Here is a link to understanding T-Mobile's Data Speed Reduction when you've hit your monthly cap;

Support: Understanding Data Speed Reduction

and here is a link to a comparison of their various plan offerings;

Monthly 4G Prepaid Plans | Compare Prepaid Data Plans | T-Mobile

I did not realize that for $60/month, I can get unlimited everything, with a 2GB/monthly data cap which is roughly 10 times my normal monthly mobile data usage. And all this on an unlocked GSM (sim card) phone of your choice.

I wonder how reliable their service is. Now, where is that T-Mobile forum ...

Reactions: njs11usc
Upvote 0
Since the Nexus 4 is unlocked if you decide you want better service than T-Mobile later on you can always activate it on AT&T. I've been reading comments on the Nexus 4 announcements and it's getting bashed pretty hard for not being LTE or having a MicroSD slot. Honestly I don't get the big deal around LTE. Almost everywhere I go I have wifi and LTE is a battery killer for sure. Also if 16GB isn't enough on your phone you need to cut back. It's not a laptop, it's a phone. 16GB is enough for thousands of songs plus a few movies and there's always the cloud.

November 13th needs to get here sooner!

Upvote 0
Since the Nexus 4 is unlocked if you decide you want better service than T-Mobile later on you can always activate it on AT&T. I've been reading comments on the Nexus 4 announcements and it's getting bashed pretty hard for not being LTE or having a MicroSD slot. Honestly I don't get the big deal around LTE. Almost everywhere I go I have wifi and LTE is a battery killer for sure. Also if 16GB isn't enough on your phone you need to cut back. It's not a laptop, it's a phone. 16GB is enough for thousands of songs plus a few movies and there's always the cloud.

November 13th needs to get here sooner!

+1

Upvote 0
but you can get unlimited calling, data, and texting for $50 a month on their pre-paid plan if you talk a lot.
Unlimited data, but only 100 MB at up to 4G speeds.

What is the point of 4G lte when you can reach your throttle to 3g limit in 15 seconds or less.
I'm not even sure you're throttled down to 3G speeds...I called them up once, and, perhaps I'm remembering wrong, but I thought I'd been told that you're throttled down to speeds slower than that.

I'm always keeping an eye on this plan. If the minutes work for you, this can be a great deal. But it's too limited for me. It seems like many people use Google Voice as a workaround for this, which could be something to look into.

The lack of MicroSD is also a big minus for me. Besides for the storage, it also just makes accessing things on there much easier. I like being able to pull out my card to access it on my computers or tablet.

Upvote 0
Unlimited data, but only 100 MB at up to 4G speeds.

I'm not even sure you're throttled down to 3G speeds...I called them up once, and, perhaps I'm remembering wrong, but I thought I'd been told that you're throttled down to speeds slower than that.

I'm always keeping an eye on this plan. If the minutes work for you, this can be a great deal. But it's too limited for me. It seems like many people use Google Voice as a workaround for this, which could be something to look into.
I use Groove IP in combination with Google Voice to stretch my 300 minutes on Virgin and it works quite well
Technically all that T-Mo offers is 3g, however after your data allotment of "4g" your speed drops down to EDGE speed which is typically less than 200 kbps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones