• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just bought Motorola Backflip

jpwarrior

Lurker
May 11, 2010
FL
Hey there. I picked up a motorola backflip on 5-10. I had a family 550 plan w/ three lines. I went into the store to download my personal data for a warranty exchange on a defective Samsung mythic and ended up being convinced to buy a backflip with a service upgrade and a 4th line added.
To put this into perspective;
I was planning on adding a 4th line for my youngest child who is 12 soon, so upgrading to 700 min and the 4th line were inevitable. The Samsung wasn't uploading my personal contacts to the MyGiG stereo in my Dodge so I was inquiring about that. After testing a blackberry (not sure which model because I didn't really like it anyway) and the backflip it was apparent that the issue was related to my Samsung phone. Both of the tests worked. The dealer offered me a new backflip for 200.00 with 150.00 in rebates and applied a discount to my service contract that essentially negated the 30/mo internet plan required for the backflip. Seemed like a good deal. The replacement Samsung is going to one of my kids (not sure which one yet) and my overall additional costs/month is ~26.00.

On to why I joined this forum.
Seems there's quite a few negative reviews about this phone. The biggest contentions seem to be with why AT&T restricted this phone to approved apps and the slow processing speed.

I don't do much in the way of social networking so I wonder if this is a good choice for me.
What I've noticed so far:
-It takes about 45 seconds to boot up.
-The screen is pretty slow to respond. Often I'm selecting the back button to correct a tap I thought would work.
-You have to hit the power button on the top of the phone to wake it up, then tap the lower left corner of the screen to open the menus. (why two different operations?)
-The camera is pretty rudimentary compared with the Samsung mythic (it's a step back IMHO)
-The keyboard is well laid out but you have to press firmly to activate a keystroke.
-The on screen keyboard is challenging for me so far...
-Voice quality seems good.
-Signal strength is better than my Samsung was.
-it seems pretty simple to learn
-Battery strength is about average.

I've always had great experiences with Motorola products and I'm looking forward to learning more info about this phone and hopefully finding more reasons to keep it.

welcome to android! no offense my friend, but the backflip is probably at the low end of the android food chain.

all those problems you mentioned are from the phone and not the android device itself. it is def the cheapest feeling phone in quality to run the android OS, and i think ATT needs to up their android market asap.

i hate to be the one to say it,

but if i had to choose between the iphone and the backflip like you do, the iphone would me my choice (for upgrades) for paying for a full priced phone, id get the nexus one that runs on ATT 3g

hope that helps a bit

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones