• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just bought the hero...(please read)

dr2012

Sep 8, 2009
I've just bought the HTC Hero with T-mobile, Have I done the right thing?

I've heard some people mention problems with Wi-fi and signal, is this a widespread problem or an isolated incident?

Any other problems with the phone ATM, or will I be happy with the phone? With all the problems mentioned on this forum, im terrifed something will go wrong with my hero lol

Cheers

I've only had mine a couple days, but I have't had any problems at all. In fact I disabled my Wifi because it kept wanting to connect to networks it'd find and alert me that they were available.

I tried the Wifi connection a couple times (once at the house, once at a local restaurant with Wifi) and it worked well both times.

Upvote 0
I've just bought the HTC Hero with T-mobile, Have I done the right thing?

I've heard some people mention problems with Wi-fi and signal, is this a widespread problem or an isolated incident?

Any other problems with the phone ATM, or will I be happy with the phone? With all the problems mentioned on this forum, im terrifed something will go wrong with my hero lol

Cheers

I did the same thing as you a few days ago and got a Hero with T-mobile. Bearing in mind I was coming from a 16gb iPhone (2gen) I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the Hero and have no regrets so far.

I don't know what phone you're coming from but I definitely noticed the difference in screen size to the iPhone. But I'm getting used to it.

Just update your phone to the latest ROM straight away b4 you start to personalise it (make sure you charge the battery first!). You will notice an instant increase in responsiveness.

Had no probs with wi-fi so far. Noticed it dropped it's data connection once but just restarted and it was ok.

Apart from that it's a sick piece of kit (sick meaning good!!!)

Upvote 0
Thanks for all replies

I did the same thing as you a few days ago and got a Hero with T-mobile. Bearing in mind I was coming from a 16gb iPhone (2gen) I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the Hero and have no regrets so far.

I don't know what phone you're coming from but I definitely noticed the difference in screen size to the iPhone. But I'm getting used to it.

Just update your phone to the latest ROM straight away b4 you start to personalise it (make sure you charge the battery first!). You will notice an instant increase in responsiveness.

Had no probs with wi-fi so far. Noticed it dropped it's data connection once but just restarted and it was ok.

Apart from that it's a sick piece of kit (sick meaning good!!!)

Did your hero not come wih the latest T-Mobile ROM? When I asked them on theirwebsite, they said all phones currently in stock are fully updated :thinking:

Upvote 0
One problem I found with wifi is it doesn't work with N+ routers

Another is if you need to enter proxy settings, you can't

Just arrived here on the fora. I have been using my unlocked Hero on Ethiopia Telecom for the last three weeks. It works great but the WiFi proxy issue is a real problem for me as I have access to some free WiFi but with authenticated proxy. I can now set proxy settings (IP address and port) via the Any Cut application available on the market but it seems like authenticated proxies are simply not supported.

There have been messages about this for ages and yet the latest release (2.73.405.5 for me) still seems not to support authenticated proxies - shame on HTC and Google.

Otherwise, what a phone and I must say I have been very impressed by Ethiopia Telecom so far - they even support EV-DO as well as 3G so I have a EV-DO portable and 3G phone!

Andrew

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones