• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

just got given a Desire do i update or any tips?

sir henry

Lurker
Aug 15, 2014
hay i just got given a Desire which was on 'Three' (now unlocked) with os 2.2.2 on it, is it worth upgrading to anything newer or is it best just to leave it be?

i see the 2.3 update mentioned but reviews seem to say it's a small update and some features where drooped to fit it on a Desire (tho dont know what they are).

it still has the Three apps, im using a different network will this matter in any way (is it worth flashing it with my networks version of os2.2.2)?

im in the UK if it helps

also any tips for the desire are welcome

thanks for all help

Hi and welcome to the androidforums! :)

The Desire is a great phone but getting a little long in the tooth - well actually the problem is that apps are getting bigger and bigger and more processor intensive.

There is a wealth of information on these forums for the desire, but before you jump in an mess about with it, I would try it as it is and see how you get on. I dont think there is any point in changing one version of froyo 2.2.2 for another which will just have different bundled apps. If you find that you are running out of memory for apps and data then there are lots of options for upgrading to at least gingerbread and for storing the bulk of your apps on the sd card.

If you feel the need , do start by reading up all you can on rooting your device and I can't think of a better place to start than here http://androidforums.com/desire-all-things-root/503471-desire-all-things-root-guide.html Its where I started on these forums with my HTC Desire (which is still working fine on Gingerbread - I use it when doing outdoor sports (skiing) when I dont want to risk smashing my Note2)

If you are going to root and rom it, do ask, ask and ask again to be sure you know what you are doing - no one minds and there are several real experts on the desire who frequent these forums.

Once again welcome

Roger

Upvote 0
is it worth upgrading to Gingerbread? looks easy to do.
maybe a good first step?

ill have to have a play with it for a few days and see how it is before i mess with it.

the most important thing i want is battery life, then a few social media apps will be nice. no interest in games.

trying to get in to twitter etc so be nice if i can get them working.

Upvote 0
The gingerbread update is easy to do, though it will wipe the phone so back up you data first. 2.3 has slightly better memory management than 2.2, and if you move apps to SD to save space it will move a larger fraction of some apps (that feature never moves everything, but in 2.2 it only moved the .apk file while in 2.3 it also moved the library elements of the installed app).

Personally I would do it, but I was already using custom ROMs by the time the 2.3 update was released so never made much use of the official 2.3 code.

Upvote 0
thanks for all the advice :D relay nice to get so much help on such an old phone.

@girolez thanks for all the rooting links, ill look in to it.
not in a huge rush to move to the cutting edge if the older official OS will work for what i need.

@Hadron you mentioned using a lot of custom rom's, any you recommend i look at

@nicka3200 do you mean that if i update to 2.3 it will update the radio (firmware?) then if i chose to use a custom rom it'll cary the updated radio with it.
plugged in my Sennheiser headphones and was amazed to find that the radio worked :p

noticed the 2.3 update mentioned problems with SMS and MMS is this a problem in the UK?

ps thanks Hadron found this old post with all the links/instructions i need from you in 2012 :p http://androidforums.com/desire-sup...533512-where-download-gingerbread-update.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones