• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just picked myself up a HTC desire 601, new here!

araxxis

Feb 17, 2014
So after buying a lg optimus f3 and messing around on it for 2 days ive returned it and got a new desire, i like it much more for various reasons : )

Basically just introducing myself and hoping more people visit this forum to exchange info/tips about the desire.

So far im loving the phone, im having network issues (dropping 4g, 3g not connecting after a dropped 4g signal) but overall its much more enjoyable than the f3.

Quick question, what exactly is HTC sense? I thought it was the overlay when you scroll to the left homescreen but ive also heard something about a blink feed? Are they the same thing or different, i dont mind the news feed its kinda handy. One thing about the newsfeed id actually like to add is yahoo, its not in the lists of sites to get news from, can i add yahoo somehow to the news feed?

Hopefully more people buy this phone it really is the best virgin phone right now, yet to see how battery life is but as long as it lasts a full day ill be happy with that.

HTC Sense is the overlay, the blinkfeed is the thing on the leftmost homescreen and it is a newsfeed. This phone has been awesome so far! Congrats and welcome!

Haven't had the connection problems in the few times I've had the change to use LTE (they have not turned it on where I live yet).

Upvote 0
Hey ya, well here is the coverage map:

Check Nationwide Prepaid Voice, Data & 4G LTE Coverage | Virgin Mobile

Type in 55021 and it shows i have at least 15-20 mile radius of 4glte around me, but i keep dropping outta 4g, and when that happens my 3g fails to reconnect. Works fine if i disable 4g (by turning network to cdma only, instead of 4g+cdma in settings) but that really isnt a fix considering half the reason i got a new phone was for 4g speeds and better looking livestreams from twitch and youtube etc.

Whining about signal aside i am loving this phone, screen resolution is on par with the LG f3 i returned but viewing angle is soooo much better. Also this HTC has far better call quality, feel to the hand, and of course much better speakers. Battery seems to be decent so far, but doing quite a bit of videos on my phone with wifi and a mix of 4g/3g and its been about 16 hours and still over 60% battery life, not bad.

Upvote 0
Try updating your profile and prl under System > System Updates.

My Desire was a but weird with 3g / 4g because even though I'm in a good 4g area the trees around me interfere with the signal and kept causing my phone to keep toggling. I got to where when I was at home I'd turn 4g off.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys but ive tried both updated PRL and enabling/disabling connections optimizer, behavior exists with either checked. See the problem here is when streaming video if i lose 4g during, 3g simply ceases to exist altogether unless i restart the phone. Pretty much seems like my only option is to disable 4g and watch low quality videos on CDMA. Same thing was happening on the LG optimus f3 i had 4 days ago, i didnt figure the phone was the problem and this confirmed it for me. Love the desire tho, no complaints about the actual phone.

Upvote 0
Not his is the third phone I've had now with it and it drives me bats, keeps trying to log into wifi connections that need a login like if you are near a hotel, so it logs in and then doesn't work as you aren't logged in so then you have to manually turn the wifi off, drives me crazy personally and I've found no benefit to it, it is Sprint's (Virgin's) way of getting you to use wifi when possible as you are on an unlimited data plan. At least they allow us the option of turning it off.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys but ive tried both updated PRL and enabling/disabling connections optimizer, behavior exists with either checked. See the problem here is when streaming video if i lose 4g during, 3g simply ceases to exist altogether unless i restart the phone. Pretty much seems like my only option is to disable 4g and watch low quality videos on CDMA. Same thing was happening on the LG optimus f3 i had 4 days ago, i didnt figure the phone was the problem and this confirmed it for me. Love the desire tho, no complaints about the actual phone.

when i had htc one v, i remember reading tos, where vm states that videos are restricted to the 3g network only.

Upvote 0
That's a weird one, were you watching youtube or ???

I had no problems when I was in LA and had 4g available but not sure I had it go out while watching a video, so.... Hmmm.... I'm pretty sure there isn't anything in the tos any longer about not watching videos on 4G but who really reads that stuff? LOL!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones