• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Just root and stay with stock rom?

you can do it with SoupOrRoot 2.04, it literally is one click and done. it took me longer to get my USB cable from my bedroom than it did to root the phone, lol.

http://androidforums.com/droid-all-...olution-droid-thread-d-d-latest-v2-0-4-a.html

if you do not flash a new ROM after you root, you will be running stock Froyo on your rooted device. and yes, you should still be able to unroot for warranty repairs. check out the "how to revert back to stock" FAQ here: http://androidforums.com/droid-all-things-root/136508-guide-all-things-root-related.html

i just took the plunge a few days ago, and although it seemed scary at first, there is more than enough info/helpful members here to get it done. personally i am loving the bugless beast v0.5 ROM. it has stock look (at least until i themed it), 800 mHz kernel that somehow gives me BETTER battery life, and great dev support. everything is just so much snappier than it was on FRG22D.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info!!! Exactly what i was looking for! Can i unroot using SoupOrRoot 2.04?

for unrooting, i would use ROM manager. it is $4.99 in the market, but it is well worth the cost in my opinion. if you buy the premium version, you can download ROMs straight from the app. this includes custom ROMs (CyanogenMod, BuglessBeast, UltimateDroid, LiquidFrozenYogurt, etc.), as well as stock images. to unroot simply download the "Verizon Droid 2.2 FRG01B" ROM from the "stock images" section and install. you will then be prompted to update to FRG22D OTA, which will unroot your device. there is also a free version of ROM Manager, but it does not give you the ability to download custom/stock ROMs from within the app. you may be able to find the FRG01B ROM online and install it using the free version, but like i said, i think the premium version is well worth the 5 bucks.

Upvote 0
I just recently rooted and I love my stock. I've tried Liquids stock froyo and another rom but I still like my vanilla Froyo the best so far. Deffinatly get Rom Manager, Titanium Backup, and SetCPU when you do root. Rom manager makes nandroid backups easy and TiBu backups your apps and data so when you do try a rom you don't loose anything. I'm on the stock kernel at the moment which you can OC to 800, which is cool but I'm thinking of a low voltage 1gig kernal just to try. One of the rom's I had let me go to 1gig and it mad gaming SMOKIN'!!!!!

This sucks cause modding is more addicting than CRACK!!!! So take the plunge at your own risk!!!! Once you do you'll never look back.

Upvote 0
Have you tried UD1.0 ROM? It looks and runs just like stock (which I prefer too) but it's infinitely more customizable... right down to the fonts. Launcher Pro gives you up to 7 homescreens and can backup your homescreen setup so when you flash a ROM, just restore and you're back in business without having to draw out your layout on paper or something. Just a friendly suggestion... :)

Reactions: corbinator
Upvote 0
Thanks I might try that one. And yes I have LP+, forgot to mention it since I've had it so long. Tried ADW launcher but I did NOT like it. Personally LP+ is the best HS replacement out there IMHO. I'd die with out it. Didn't think I'd like widgets untill I tried a few of his!
Heck if I thought I'd have anything left, I'd put Fede in my will!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones