Just switched from palm....a couple of newbie questions

Last Updated:

1. rcyphermd

rcyphermd Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just switched from palm and am learning the android os. I read the manual but cannot quite figure out a couple of things.

How do you look at more the one website at a time? In other words, can 2 or 3 different websites be open at the same time like the pre?

Does the back button turn the app off? I downloaded taskkill. I was trying to figure a way to turn the programs off without having to always check taskill.

Are there any particular apps you would recommend for a newbie to make the phone better/more efficient?

Thanks in advance for your help. I really am liking the Hero!

Advertisement
  2. slbailey1

slbailey1 Well-Known Member

While in a webpage, press Menu > Windows and press the "+" in the upper left corner. Then press Menu and key in your url or select a bookmark.

To scroll between your open windows, press Menu > Windows and swipe your finger left or right on the screen.

To close a window, press Menu > Windows and press the "x" attached to the window you want to close. You cannot close the last window.

3. slbailey1

slbailey1 Well-Known Member

What I found helpful is the Menu button. When you are in an application or in a screen and don't know what to do, press the Menu button and see what comes up. Also another thing you can do is Long Press an item on a screen. Sometimes this will bring up a menu with options.

4. rcyphermd

Thanks for the instructions. That worked! Any comments on the back button turning off the apps, or do I just need to check taskkill often? Thanks again

5. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

Android is designed to close apps all on it's own. When you don't have an app in the foreground it's not really "open" but in a standby position.

-Some apps will let you close them by having a menu button item.
    -Some apps will let you close them by pressing the back button until you are out of the app.
    -Others will be closed by Android or by you when you use a task killing program.

TaskKill is okay, but I much prefer Task Panel X because it lets you set up a "Wanted List" of apps and set a time for it to auto-kill apps on that wanted list.

6. rcyphermd

thanks for that suggestion.....I will try it