• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Keep getting unidentified sound that doesn't seem to be a notification

Ambee47

Mar 19, 2017
Recently, my Samsung A13 with the stock OS and the latest updates started periodically making a sound I've never heard before. It sounds very much like an electronic version of a house key being dropped into a shot glass. I have a notification history app, but nothing appears in that list anywhere near the time the sound is heard.

I can't detect anything going on near the time it is heard. It occurs at seemingly random times, often waking me up even with the general sound volume set low. I can't turn off the phone's sound completely because I need my Dexcom G7 diabetes monitor running at all times to warn me of problems. I tried uninstalling the Dexcom app temporarily to see if it was producing the sound, but it still sounded apparently randomly. I also looked at what apps I had installed before the sound began, but nothing seemed to match up.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this annoying sound, please? Thanks!

Recently, my Samsung A13 with the stock OS and the latest updates started periodically making a sound I've never heard before. It sounds very much like an electronic version of a house key being dropped into a shot glass. I have a notification history app, but nothing appears in that list anywhere near the time the sound is heard.

I can't detect anything going on near the time it is heard. It occurs at seemingly random times, often waking me up even with the general sound volume set low. I can't turn off the phone's sound completely because I need my Dexcom G7 diabetes monitor running at all times to warn me of problems. I tried uninstalling the Dexcom app temporarily to see if it was producing the sound, but it still sounded apparently randomly. I also looked at what apps I had installed before the sound began, but nothing seemed to match up.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this annoying sound, please? Thanks!
did it start after you downloaded an app? you might want to try and uninstall apps one by one starting with the most recent, until the issue goes away.

Upvote 0
the problem with that is, without knowing what app the sound is associated with, once all of the apps are re-installed, the sound could return

I should have been more specfic. If all else fails do a factory reset, without any backup files, Start fresh, first install Dexcom G7 (which is critical), wait and see if any noise starts. Then start installing any other apps, one or two per day to see if the noise starts again.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Well before you try more drastic measures like a Factory Reset, don't stop at least trying to find out just which app or service is behind that occasional, weird 'clinking' sound. If anything, use Samsung's Smart Switch utility to make a full backup of your user account. It will make doing a restore of your data easier if necessary, and it's always a better practice to have backups of your phone anyway. Backups are important, they really are.

But getting back to that sound, since you don't see anything in the Notification log that correlates with when it does occur that is odd but it's not an absolute. You also mentioned not seeing anything notable as far as apps that 'might' be responsible but keep in mind that there could be several menus, conditionally-accessible menus, and annoying-messy-to-use sub-menus to look through now. Each version of Android includes an increasingly complex Settings menu, and add in that Samsung opts to extensively add/alter even more complexity, there's often multiple options to check for things like Notification sounds. Looking through the User Manuel for your model, there are several on pg. 102 through pg. 107 to go through as a starting place:

If nothing in those Settings options stop that sound, you might want to then try looking through the Running services menu to see if there is some app or Android background service might be responsible for that sound. Note that Running services won't indicate outright about that sound, it will show you a more extensive listing of all the processes that are active and loaded in RAM. Also, you need to enable the Developers Options menu that's otherwise hidden within your Settings menu (it's an integral part of the Android OS, it's just something that needs to be intentionally made visible):
Anyway, once you enable Developers Options, use Running services and see if perhaps there's some system related service might be making that sound. Note that there's likely to be one or several Android System items and if you tap on them that will reveal more info on just which service or services it refers to. So yeah, this involves a lot of speculation on your part. Just be very judicious about anything you change in Developers Options. There will be a lot of oddly named system processes that appear to be gibberish to some but vital as far as keeping your phone functional.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones