• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Keeping unlimited...

gloriousnumber1

Android Expert
Aug 22, 2010
Portland, Oregon
So I'm asking for opinions. I have an S4 on Verizon and am happy with it. I still have unlimited data. I got the S4 a day after launch using the installment plan before it was "edge. I have finally paid it off.
I've gotten it replaced 3 times due to 2 bad headphone jacks and the 3rd was it dismounting my SD card. This unit has lasted me nearly 5 months. However I have 2 months of this contract left. My wife is not on unlimited and got her S4 in July. We have ghost line available for upgrade as of January 2014.

I don't NEED to upgrade. This isn't about keeping up with the latest and greatest. However, I am not willing to give up unlimited. Upgrading my line in 2 months or going with edge will do that. If I upgrade the ghost line and swap it to mine, I'll need to go to an authorized dealer (looking at Costco at the moment). A Verizon employee said they will get fired if they do that. If I do this soon, I can get back all of what I spend by selling my S4. If I wait a year or so, that won't be possible. I don't want to be stuck with a $200+ cost I can't get back if at all possible.

Should I go for it or wait and hope for something to come out soon?

I'm considering the Note 3 because I use my phone as a computer a lot for desktop sites. My big thumbs would like to text on the big screen. However I also use my phone for music a lot plugged in to my car and sometimes headphones. Also I use it for YouTube videos without plugging it in so the front facing speakers of the M8 sure sound good.

Will anything currently available be worth over $200 in two years so I can do this again? That is assuming someone can still swap upgrades by then also. I want to keep unlimited as long as possible without paying $600+ up front.

Ideas?

You are now chatting with 'Kyli Rose'

Kyli Rose: Hello, welcome to Verizon Wireless sales chat! My name is Kyli Rose, may I have your name,

please?

Steven: <-----

Kyli Rose: How are you enjoying this beautiful weather today?

Steven: amen to that kyli

Steven: are you?

Kyli Rose: Yes when i get out of the office

Steven: hahahah

Steven: you must be a west coaster

Steven: it's nighttime here

Steven: left coast

Kyli Rose: ready to load up the boat and go fishing, no alabama

Steven: nice

Steven: do it!

Steven:

Kyli Rose: tommorrow day off

Steven: cool

Steven: were you near the tornado two years ago

Steven: or so?

Kyli Rose: no , down south off bham

Steven: ok.

Steven: good

Steven: i hada student from the tornado area

Steven: here's my question... sorry to waste your time

Kyli Rose: not a problem\

Steven: last month I was gonna upgrade and a chat csr told me I open a 5th line, transfer upgrades to it and

keep my unlimited data on my existing 4 lines by transferring upgrades to it.

Steven: now? No one seems to know what I am talking about. Did I miss out on a loophole/

Steven: ?

Kyli Rose: May I please have your 10-digit mobile number and full name to access your account? This is to

better assist you with your questions today.

Steven: yup

Steven: *** *** ****

Steven: **** is my password

Kyli Rose: and your last name to verify?

Steven: *********

Kyli Rose: i am sorry if my responses are slow, i broke my left wrist and am typing with one hand

Steven: oh geez how'd u do that?

Kyli Rose: tripped over the dog

Steven: lol geez.... oops sorry for laughing

Kyli Rose: ok i understand what the agent was telling you to do

Steven: ok that's a start

Kyli Rose: however after looking at you data use for the last 3 month, you really do not have anything to

worry about, January was the largest month of data combined for all 4 phones at 8.5 gb

Kyli Rose: your **** line never use even a half of a gb of data a month,

Steven: i know

Steven: that's the wife

Kyli Rose: #### uses 2 gb a month, #### uses 1.8 gb a month and #### uses 3.1 gb a month

Steven: that's me

Steven: and my son

Steven: I will use up to 3.5 or 4 sometimes, if I'm d/ling apps after rooting/putting on a new rom.

Steven: odn't tell anyone

Kyli Rose: have you checked into the more plan where you have unlimited talk, text, 25 gb of cloud storage

for free and all of you sharing a lump sum of 10 gb of data (which is over your monthly use) for the same

price you pay now

Steven: well, for me? not quite.. you see I carry a 20 per line promo for life on data.. If I lose the data I lose

the 80 per month discount.

Kyli Rose: now what you were asking me is by adding a line to the account you will get a new phone when

you do that. you activate the phone on the account for 24 hours then you will call and activate the phone on

the line you would like it on and that phone on the new line. am i making sense so far?

Steven: then I transfer the upgrades to the 5th line, keeping the unllimeted on the old lines

Kyli Rose: just out of curiosity did you check to see if your employer offers a discount on your monthly bill? a

lot of companies do and do not say anything to the employees.

Steven: self

Steven: employed

Kyli Rose: yes, now here is the part you are gfoing to hate about doing this

Steven: no love for the self employed

Steven: im sitting down

Kyli Rose: ok,

Steven: I'm already not liking it

Kyli Rose: this is the way you have to do it. you order the phone, the system is going to make you change the

plan, BEFORE you even turn the phone on call customer care and have the phone activated on your old plan

for 24 hours

Kyli Rose: then after 24 hours you will call them again and have the phone activated on the number you want

it on while keeping your unlimited data

Kyli Rose: then wait about 3 days and transfer the next upgrade to the line and repeat the same process

Kyli Rose: does that make sense?

Steven: the system is going to make me put a new plan on the 5th line, right?

Steven: then I move the phone over to an existing line,right?

Steven: then I transfer the upgrade to the 5th line and repeat until lightly browned.

Kyli Rose: yes that is correct. now i will walk you through the initial added line if you would like.

Steven: i need to decide which fones the fam wants first though. is that okay with you?

Steven: i'll email this convo to myself..

Steven: I don't lose unlim this way right? one csr said it'll force me to lose unlim

Steven: they were wrong, right?

Kyli Rose: yes as you can only do one phone at a time

Kyli Rose: as long as you call customer care and tell them you want to keep your existing plan and add the

new line to your 1400 minute shared plan , you will not lose your unlimited on the lines

Steven: oh..csr has to do the phone changes?

Steven: i can't do it online?

Kyli Rose: yes if you do them online it will force you to lose your unlimited data ( that is the part i told you ,

you would not like is the phone calls to customer care)

Steven: oh i dont mind

Steven: i get it... so if I transfer the phone via internet it will force me to lose unlim. if I call and say I want

the new phone transfered keeping the plan they'll do it... then after a few days I transfer the upgrade to the

5th line and repeat.

Steven: they also make the 5th line dormant so I only pay 10 per month on it, right?

Kyli Rose: yes that is correct, isee the notes on your account on the 3-29-14where andrew told you all of this

Steven: well.. i ws told this but not recently

Steven: which is what confused me...

Steven: I wanted to make sure I could still do it but the csr's this past week said no

Steven: I called about this about a month ago.

Steven: the recent csr's said the loophole was closed

Steven: so tyvm!

Steven: i think i can love verizon agian... i was upset with verizon

Kyli Rose: you are welcome as i said it is noted in your account on that day, so make sure you call them out

on the notes in the account if they try anything

Steven: beautiful.. YOu so rock it isn't funny.. so it's under 3/29?

Steven: i can direct them to that?

Kyli Rose: yes that is correct

Steven: I tell you what: I love talking to experienced csr's the new csr's don't know anything.

Kyli Rose: you are right about that , and you can tell i am devoted as well to be here with a broke arm

Steven: hahaha sorry for laughing about it.

Steven: ok.. lemme print this and we're golden

Upvote 0
the vzw employee getting fired is pure bs. they told me how to do the swap. I posted the chat convo somewhere. I'll find it and repost for u.

I saw and read that. I mean they told me in person, at a corporate VZW store not on the phone. Why even bother with them when Costco is cheaper anyhow? Do any of us know how much longer anyone will even do that though?

Upvote 0
My RAZR MAXX died (pin came out of the USB board). I went to a VZW corporate store, ready to pay full price for a Note 3. The rep asked if there was anyone in the house that could be put on a regular phone, and did I have an old phone to use?
My son was at an age to put him on a cell, (some days IN a cell) and my wife's old Chocolate 2 is in perfect condition. We added the line with the Note 3, but before activating it, switched it to my number, and used the records of the old phones ESN to put the chocolate on the new line. I got the discounted price for the Note 3, and kept unlimited.

Upvote 0
My RAZR MAXX died (pin came out of the USB board). I went to a VZW corporate store, ready to pay full price for a Note 3. The rep asked if there was anyone in the house that could be put on a regular phone, and did I have an old phone to use?
My son was at an age to put him on a cell, (some days IN a cell) and my wife's old Chocolate 2 is in perfect condition. We added the line with the Note 3, but before activating it, switched it to my number, and used the records of the old phones ESN to put the chocolate on the new line. I got the discounted price for the Note 3, and kept unlimited.

So what did adding the line, moving the number, getting rid of new line cost you and for how long?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones