• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [KERNEL] MiRaGe - for HTC stock ICS ROM - 3.0.101 - 10222013

I'm still S-ON, I've only been flashing updates of the MiRaGe kernel. My only complaints are that the phone reboots too fast and the battery lasts too long ;)

Since I'd like to give this a try do you recommend anyone's guide for getting the phone ready to flash this rom? Thanks! -t

To be honest, JB ROM has neither faster performance nor longer battery life. Plus you will be giving up 3D and see some graphics glitches in Maps. But it is JB and comes with native Google Now.

The sticky in this forum should have all of the information required. I had used the instructions and resources at unlimited.io to do my S-OFF.

Reactions: Tossici
Upvote 0
To be honest, JB ROM has neither faster performance nor longer battery life. Plus you will be giving up 3D and see some graphics glitches in Maps. But it is JB and comes with native Google Now.

I favor battery life over speed. I've tried lowered the cpu speed with no-frills but when I look at the battery use profile it seems the biggest drain is the screen (usually 70%+) and not the cpu. I think you've probably already optimized this phone as much as possible. I'm curious to see if JB is any more "useable" than sense+ICS. If not I can always go back.

I've already seen glitches in Maps while stock but they went away after subsequent updates to Maps. Some places in in my area have 4G but it's too spotty to bother. I'm not really using 3D but I do like the dual led when used as a flashlight :)

I've followed your posts (nook, OV, Evo) for awhile. Thanks for all your great work!

Reactions: mrg666
Upvote 0
There was a request to include the ondemand governor in the GSM thread at XDA. But the original code was not compiling in MiRaGe anymore since the rest of the kernel code was updated/upgraded from the original source code significantly . I have backported the ondemand governor from CAF msm-3.4 kernel and also tested. It performs surprisingly good compared to original ondemand that I had disabled. So I have added it as an alternative governor and rebuilt the ICS and JB kernels. The download links are in the OP. There are also several more fixes and updates. Please see my repo for the details.

Reactions: Tossici and mryan
Upvote 0
Just regarding governors, I tried the new on demand governor and got significantly worse battery life than interactive. Responsiveness seemed slightly improved, but not worth the hit in battery life. I usually go 1-2 days between charges depending on use, I made it about 3/4 of a day, for several days, with on-demand. Back to interactive for me.

Monitoring the cpu frequency with cpu-spy, showed that on-demand scaled from min to max with few or none in-between steps, while interactive steps up a few intermediary frequencies before hitting max.

Upvote 0
Just regarding governors, I tried the new on demand governor and got significantly worse battery life than interactive. Responsiveness seemed slightly improved, but not worth the hit in battery life. I usually go 1-2 days between charges depending on use, I made it about 3/4 of a day, for several days, with on-demand. Back to interactive for me.

Monitoring the cpu frequency with cpu-spy, showed that on-demand scaled from min to max with few or none in-between steps, while interactive steps up a few intermediary frequencies before hitting max.

That was my experience too; interactive works better and it is the default governor.

Upvote 0
Been using your kernels for awhile but didn't really bother looking before but recently was noticing that it seems more recent version for both JB and ICS leave the SD card read ahead at 128 or is the ICS read ahead still set higher by default? Obviously assuming that setting it higher will drain the battery faster but I have a Laza Cell extended battery and am able to charge my phone frequently so not as much of a concern for me. Anyways is there sort of a "cutoff" point you would recommend someone setting the SD card read ahead at for JB or ICS kernels where very little benefit will be realized and will only cause battery drain/bootlloops, etc afterward and if setting it past 128 really does anything? I see some other kernels vary as well from the lowest (128) up to 2K so just curious if its worth tinkering with. Thanks for all your help.

Upvote 0
Been using your kernels for awhile but didn't really bother looking before but recently was noticing that it seems more recent version for both JB and ICS leave the SD card read ahead at 128 or is the ICS read ahead still set higher by default? Obviously assuming that setting it higher will drain the battery faster but I have a Laza Cell extended battery and am able to charge my phone frequently so not as much of a concern for me. Anyways is there sort of a "cutoff" point you would recommend someone setting the SD card read ahead at for JB or ICS kernels where very little benefit will be realized and will only cause battery drain/bootlloops, etc afterward and if setting it past 128 really does anything? I see some other kernels vary as well from the lowest (128) up to 2K so just curious if its worth tinkering with. Thanks for all your help.

I don't see much difference with changing the read ahead cache. Default is just fine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones