• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help keyboard focus issue on ics

Catfish

Jul 25, 2010
home.beardeddonkey.com
Hi there,

My blood pressure is fairly high right now, as I was trying to type this message on the SGT10.1 but it was so aggravating I had to get up and post this on my PC.

Does anyone else have a keyboard focus issue that seems to occur randomly, where the letters typed will not appear in the text input area? The letters will appear in the predictive text area but not in the text area.

Also, and this one is the most annoying, sometimes the cursor will jump to a random - yet fixed - position in the paragraph when certain things occur such as the spaceboard is pressed, or the word is selected from predictive options in Swype.

I have experienced these issues on a number of software keyboards - no changing of the keyboard used helps. It is global and beyond the scope of the the keyboards themselves.

It at first can seem like a touchscreen fault, but the cursor will jump around only on specific events, not randomly like a touchscreen fault would suggest.

I have tried:

Swype (free Beta)
Gingerbread Keyboard (free and paid)
Hackers Keyboard (free)
Float n Split (paid)

and both issues occur with all of them.

Sometimes when the first bug I mentioned occurs, it can be fixed by switching keyboards. Other times, I need to go to another app and focus on a text input area in that app then go back to the app I originally wanted to type in and it will work. Other times, I have to reboot. This morning I was typing, and I noticed that it lost focus when a notification came in. Maybe there is some issue there?

Does anyone else have this issue? Is it common? Are there any fixes for it because it is really, really, REALLY ANNOYING.

My software version:
Android 4.0.4
Baseband P7500XXLQ8
Kernel version 3.1.10 se.infra@SEP-121 #1
Build number IMM76D.XXLQ8

Tablet model is GT-P7500

I've seen mine occasionally being slow, where I enter the text and it appears in the predictive text area and it takes a little while to fill into the input area. But it always gets there in the end; I just have to be patient with it. This sounds kind of similar, but I gather yours just never gets there in the end. When it annoys me I turn the predictive text off, but most of the time I live with it. Have you tried turning it off so there is no predictive text area for it to go to? What is the behavior when you do this?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones