• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Keyboard personal dictionary empty, and doesn't learn any new words

MichaelS

Lurker
Oct 25, 2015
Hello all,

This is my first post so apologies if I mess up with the etiquette.

After some recent updates, it appears that all of the words that the phone had learnt by how I type in the predictive text feature have been wiped. It now doesn't show relevant suggestions to the common phrases I used, and all "my" words are not there at all.

Additionally, it doesn't seem to learn all of the above anymore either. Which is doubly frustrating... I didn't mind it too much that I had to teach it all my lingo again, but it seems to ignore any new "lessons"...

When I go to personal dictionary, it's empty. When I tap on a new word, it "forgets" it immediately. However, it does seem to have some short-term memory, so it does learn a word within the same sms message (and only sms) if I try to repeat it, but as soon as I send the message it's gone again.

I tried even activating "learn from messaging" and "learn from Gmail", but tbh I've never had to go in there before, and I primarily use Viber and Fb Messenger, which is where my main problem is. The keyboard doesn't learn any new words, and predictive texting doesn't predict my common phrases...

Any help please?

I use a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact, with Android 5.1.1. Let me know if you need other details.

Many thanks in advance.
Kind regards,
Michael S.

P.s. I have seen some similar threads suggesting other keyboard/typing apps, but I would prefer a fix on this please if possible.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones