• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help keyboard won't work anymore

grannyjanny

Mar 18, 2012
My husband has a Samsung Galaxy Prevail, but we are not techy people. We were using the keyboard to try to enter a new email account in the Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync and all of a sudden we got this message: "The app Android keyboard (process com.android.inputmethod.latin) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." Then there was a "force close" button. I have no idea why it's doing this or what I may have done to make it happen. I tried taking out the battery, but that didn't help. We can still make phone calls, but cannot do any keyboard related things and this message pops up a lot. Any help at all would be much appreciated and please give as much detail as possible. This is all Greek to us!! :) TIA!

Try (from the home screen) press
Menu> settings> applications> manage applications and select the 'all' tab

Scroll down to 'Android keyboard'

Select it, then select 'clear data' and reboot

If that does not work, there are some much more involved solutions. But try that first.
Also is the phone unmodified? ('stock')

Reactions: grannyjanny
Upvote 0
Thank you for that info. I did it (twice just to be sure!) and it is still coming up with the message. I did see a "force stop" in the screen you sent me to, should I try that?

I'm not sure what you mean by unmodified or stock. We bought it online, my hubby did use it for work and their IT guy made some changes to it b/c the screens look different (and the VM app and the Gmail app have disappeared! but that's another issue), so perhaps it's been modified. I really don't know how to answer that.

He had a work email & Outlook that were linked to his phone, then he lost his job, and when we went to delete the work email, it deleted all his contacts too (told you we aren't techy!) and so then we thought maybe if we tried to re-establish the email we could get his contacts back, but we weren't sure of the domain name and were on the keyboard trying to figure things out when we first got the keyboard message.

Right now he only has about 14 contacts and no added apps, so a factory reset is very much a possibility.... and maybe that would give us back the VM and Gmail apps too. If we do a factory reset, would it still have his phone number registered or would we have to reactivate that with Boost?

We are open to whatever you suggest. And I see you are in GR, we are in Hudsonville! Small world!

Upvote 0
The next option, if factory reset doesn't work would be to use a program called Odin that will re-install the phone information,

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-pre...ock-factory-updated-02-23-new-fa19-image.html

This will not change/delete you phone number or the phone's id, just replace the software with 'new' functional software.

You should use the fa19 gingerbread stock image
- http://www.mediafire.com/?7js1gdozksa7fa1

The instructions are in the first post
It's really very simple if you read carefully. If you have any questions/problems... Just ask :)

Reactions: grannyjanny
Upvote 0
Wow! GR for you too? Small world indeed! And can you believe this weather we are having?? :)

So you would recommend a factory reset? I'm kind of thinking that is where we are headed but will wait to hear back from Lordvincent 90 too. I sure hope that would work.... seems like when I was searching the Internet trying to find answers, someone had some kind of a similar problem with a process (acorn?) stopping and even a factory reset didn't work.

If I do a factory reset, would the first thing to do be to add the Google email address and then set it up to sync? Then his Google contacts would show up automatically, right? He doesn't actually have Google contacts right now b/c he's used Outlook but it would sure be a lot easier to add them to his Google acct from a PC than doing it all on the phone - that's a little keyboard!!

Thanks so much for helping. We are just so lost when it comes to stuff like this.

Another annoying thing is the "press lock key to unlock" which shows up at the darndest times! I can't find anything in the manual about it and would like to know what the heck it's there for and can we turn it off. When he ends a call, he can't just hit end, first he has to hit the power button and then he can end the call. Is that like a "keyguard" thing to keep his face from pressing numbers while he is talking? (I have a Sanyo Innuendo myself, just new this week, so learning it too.)

Upvote 0
At this point you'd be best doing a factory reset, then setting up the google account on the phone. When that account is set up and it syncs with the phone, then yes the contacts from that google account will show up.

If the factory reset doesn't straighten everything out, then Lordvincent gave you a couple links above to get started from at that point.

The having to press the power button while on a call is normal behavior for the Prevail. Yes it's the key guard on this phone, since it doesn't just recognize when the phone has been taken away from your ear. It can be annoying, but you get used to it.

Upvote 0
I did a factory reset (I think!) and now there is a screen "CWM-based Recovery v5.0.2.7" And then options like reboot system now, apply update from sdcard, wipe data/factory reset" and 6 other options. There is what looks like a little hat hanging on something about halfway thru the screen.

But I can't do anything with any of it. The first line is highlighted, but nothing will move when I scroll with my finger.

OK, wait, I tapped the "home" button and it went away and appears to be booting up. And then "CTMod" pixels flashed over and over and that's it. It says "CTMod" nothing about Boost Mobile or anything. I was expecting it to look like it did when we bought it, with the Boost screens etc.

I did get to applications and added a contact and the keyboard worked fine, so that seems fixed, but everything looks a little weird. Is there any way to get it back to the way it looked when we got it? With the screens that you see online when you look up this phone?

OK, I keep playing with it and it seems to be sort of working but still doesn't look like it looked when it came with the Boost wallpaper, etc.

I went to the settings>accts & sync and added the email address in and it says it is syncing. And I added his email acct and now his emails are showing up in an inbox. That's good news.

OK, and his contacts that he already had are still on the phone. Is it possible this screen I'm in is like "safe" mode in Windows?? Everything seems really basic. His voicemail greeting is still intact, too. So this doesn't seem like a factory reset. Altho stuff is working, it just doesn't look like it did.

Any ideas? And THANK YOU again for being willing to help a newbie at Androids!!

OK and one more dumb question - there was an update needed on the phone right after the supposed factory reset, so I did that and it looked like it was downloading and now there's an exclamation point in a triangle and the little Android guy below. Does this mean it's done? What should I do next?

Upvote 0
Looks like you're going to have to follow the instructions from the links Lordvincent posted above.

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-prevail/517591-keyboard-wont-work-anymore.html#post4092253

You're phone is already rooted and that update you got was most likely the FA19 update that was put out a while back by Samsung. You won't actually be able to install it because you are rooted. The instructions from those links Lord posted are pretty easy to follow if you follow them carefully.

Upvote 0
One more tidbit, I did log on to his email account and he has the same contacts there, so maybe when I set up the sync it brought them in. I didn't think to check his contacts list before adding the email account, so that might solve that mystery of them still being on the phone. But his voicemail is still intact even with the reset, is that supposed to happen? I suppose that is separate from the phone and associated with his phone number.

And could you direct me to a thread that would be good to go to with general questions as we try to figure this Android stuff out? The manual covers the basics, but I'm discovering that it leaves out an awful lot. Maybe there's an online manual somewhere that's more detailed? As well as a forum?

Thanks again for your help. I so appreciate it. We are moving in a week and we really don't need this headache right now! But we are just going to Grandville, not as far away as Roguefoxx is going!! :)

Upvote 0
Haha that was Lordvincent that is headed to Syracuse, NY, although at the end of this next week I'm headed to Vegas!

Anyway, just follow this link and it will take you back to Lordvincents post with the links in it.http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-prevail/517591-keyboard-wont-work-anymore.html#post4092253

This is the best and most helpful community you're going to find for this phone. It's actually quite amazing what you can do with the phone once you get the hang of it. Just keep asking and people here will continue to help you.

Upvote 0
Oh, you are so right it isn't you going to NY! Sorry about that. But you are moving too! Wow, all 3 of us are moving. Strange.

I guess my question is why do I need to do the Odin thing? The phone does seem to be working properly, it just looks different. More basic. You think there is still something wrong?

And I will definitely bookmark this site, I'm sure I'll be back! :p

Upvote 0
Lol... The thing is, somebody has modded the phone... And WE are the manual for that... Read the first post of the Odin thread, and anything you do not understand, ask there (or here)
We are all very friendly, and helpful... And worst case scenario, given your close proximity, i can come do it for you in Wednesday when I'm back in GR :)

Upvote 0
OK, so you are saying the reason it's looking the way it looks is b/c it's been modified and I need to do the Odin thing to get it back the way it was when we bought it? And that I need to b/c it's "rooted"? (Whatever that means!)

Ok, deep breath, I can do this. I'll see what happens and go from there. Thank you for your offer to come and help me if I run into trouble. I'll let you know!!

Upvote 0
OK, I feel like a real dummy. I got the file downloaded to my desktop and extracted. I didn't know what to do about #2, the Samsung USB Drivers. Where am I supposed to get those? So I powered off and did the #3 stuff about pushing all the buttons and I've got the yellow download screen. I plugged in the phone to the computer and got some "found new hardware" and let it do its search but it didn't find anything. I opened the odin.exe file, but there is no yellow anything. It says Odin Multi Downloader. No com number or .ops file or .tar files.

What should I do next? :thinking: I pressed the 3 buttons again and got it back to phone mode. I think I better stop for tonight, I need a mental break! I'm one of those people who can't get their brain to shut off as bedtime draws near if I think too hard! :)

So... until tomorrow!! Thanks for your patience with me!

Upvote 0
Ok, had my good night of sleep and a busy day, but now I have some time to mess with this again. I went back to the Odin thread with the directions and saw the You Tube video showing how it's done so I watched that. It talks about making sure that USB Debugg Enabling is on, but I think that's where I get hung up. First off, I don't know how/where to do that (I did some searching in "control panel" but didn't find anything). When I plug in the USB connector to the computer and then the phone, it searches for new hardware and can't find anything so doesn't "install" it, so I think that's why when I open Odin, there is no number in the yellow box.

So, what should I do now? :(

Upvote 0
OK, first an apology, I totally didn't see the driver link in your message from last night. So thanks for referencing it again today.

I saved it to my desktop, extracted the files to a folder on my desktop, then clicked on the adb.exe file inside the folder. It did flash a box with writing in it, so it did something. That was the only executable file that I saw, was that all I needed to do to install the drivers? Powered the phone off, pressed the 3 buttons and got the yellow download screen, plugged in the phone to the computer. I didn't get the "searching for new hardware" message this time, got a double beep when I connected the phone to the computer, but as before, when I click on the Odin.exe file, I still don't get the yellow box with a number in it.

Sigh. Are you frustrated with me yet? I am!!! :mad:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones