• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

kitkat killed it.

femgoth

Jul 5, 2012
Ok so having a nexus 7 I had kitkat come available so I did the official update. And it has pretty much rendered the tablet useless. I get serious lag on everything and I mean serious.

If I turn it on and wait 10 mins for it to get everything running then it should be at peak right? If I tap the app drawer icon it takes around 10 seconds to pop up. And same delay on pressing the home button, back button; on tapping a text box to type same delay before keyboard pops up. Loading an app is even longer; loading speedtest asp took over a minute.

All browsing is super slow. If I do a speed test on the nexus now I get 2m/s tops now. It just so happens that we recently updated our router so I did a test a few days before upgrading to kitkat and was getting 50-60 even at peak times.

Anyone have a reasonable reason why this could be happening or how to fix it?

I dont know but i have a friend on G+ and the same thing happened to her with the kk update. She had to send it away for repair (dont know what they did but it came back running 4.3) she updated it as soon as she got home and its fine now.
Id look at returning it or reflashing kitkat if youre confident OR rooting and romming it (as my g+ friend has now done).
Maybe try a factory reset first :thumbup:

Upvote 0
I'd agree with the factory reset. You changed OS's and it had many changes to come along with it. It's a common philosophy among the custom rom community that if you want to be as bug free as possible, factory reset each time you update or change roms. If you only wipe caches, you live with the possibility that things don't work right.

Is this the 1st Gen or 2nd Gen Nexus 7?

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
This is a custom rom but yours should look similar. in settings, "backup and reset" make sure the top box is checked before resetting uploadfromtaptalk1387231778010.jpg

Upvote 0
Media won't be retained unless it's actually cloud media (from Google Play), or you perform the factory reset using a custom recovery. So the best option would be to back up your media (pictures, music, videos) to an external storage like a computer, and then perform the factory reset. Google will start restoring you apps if you enabled the back up option, or they'll be seen in your all list for My Apps in the Play store which you can install manually. Once that's all done, restore your media from the computer.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Sort of related to the question: When I bought my second Android phone I was shocked how easy it was to get all my apps back. It even remembers your wifi settings, and as I recall, email settings, but I could be wrong about that last one.

It's hit or miss on wifi settings. It's quite awesome when it works, but you have to sign in to your gmail first which means you either have to use your wifi password before it can remember it, or use mobile data.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones