• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Knowing What You Know Now - Which ROM & Kernal Do You Choose?

lfc4ever

Android Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2011
And any MODs that you love installing.

I've only had my S2 since 01 November this year, not a flashy must upgrade now type of person, like to wait a year or so then get them when they are cheap/cheaper ;)

I like neatrom -> XWLPY_NeatRom_Lite_v3.5, as I like minimalistic anyday over flash bang whistle type things and it seemed that was the one to go for, so I did.

I have SiyahKernal S2 V5 (not installed the latest just updated one yet)

I installed S3 MODs V1.3.

I don't play arcade type games, puzzle/brain/maths type is me, it is my MP3 player (64GB SDCard inside), it is my keep updated with FB, Twitter & Sports scores & minimal web browsing for latest news as well, and is my digital radio (will be when I have figured it out properly - can't seem to get smooth radio UK up & running properly yet [flash issue] - got BBC radio stations ok) - oh - and is my phone too lol :p

All of this in the UK on giffgaff.

I was quite happy with it being rooted so I could remove the bloatware and use my titanium backup & datasync apps, and a couple of others that needed root.

It is the one device I will always have with me, I have other devices (Note, nexus 7) but they will not be with me 100% of the time, so the S2 is my conduit all the time.

So, do I need to update the ROM & Kernal to the latest ones that came out this week? Is the latest always the best?

I don't have the time to go through every different ROM or forum thread out there to read millions of words most of which are old & outdated now anyway, as at today - what ROM & kernal setup do you like for your S2, is it slick & fast & minimal and should I try it out?

And finally, thank you salesale for the neatrom, wish I was able to do such great work :)

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones