• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help lag and high cpu, ram usage issue

westly122

Lurker
Jul 7, 2015
Hi everyone! I got this problem for a really longtime, my device always on a high cpu and ram usage, and it cause lag and a really long respond time. But no matter how I use apps to clear the ram usage, its still on a really high level. So what can I actually do, are the cleaning apps really work to clean the cpu usage and the startup items?Besides, after I clean my ram usage, I still got aroun 40 application running in the background, whats actually going on? thanks for any replies!

With a little troubleshooting your phone can probably be straightened out.

First, uninstall ALL task killers, RAM memory optimizers/boosters, battery savers/repairers, cache cleaners, etc etc. None of that stuff is necessary. Such apps are actually counterproductive and some are just plain evil. They actually waste power and disrupt critical system processes and degrade performance. Not to mention the nag ads many throw up.

Uninstalling crapware may solve the problem. If the phone is still slow, install System Panel.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.systempanel

System Panel makes basic trouble shooting of a sluggish device simple. And, it will show you what's actually running and what's not.

Look at the opening screen, 1st one when the app opens. It gives the basic information you need. With the phone at idle (apps can be open, but nothing such as an active phone call or file transfer) check CPU and RAM memory usage (pie charts upper left corner).

Normally, CPU should be less than 5-10%. CPU clock speed (top horizontal bar) varies but should be something less than max. If CPU is high, look at the app list on the same screen. Check the CPU usage for each app (small vertical bar on left edge, next to app icons) for offenders.

RAM usage should be about 75-85%, unless you have recently rebooted and not yet opened apps to load RAM. You want to check these values after a fresh reboot, after some normal usage and when the phone has slowed.

If RAM usage is too high, again on the opening screen look in the Active Applications list. Check for a running app you have not used recently. It may not have closed or cached properly and is holding RAM. If nothing seems unusual in the Active Applications, scroll down to Inactive (Cached) Applications. It may be harder to determine what belongs in this list and what doesn't, but if something looks iffy, particularly if it shows holding a lot of RAM, you can try long-pressing on it and select 'End Task'. If you select a required system process, no worry, it will just restart. If RAM usage returns to normal and/or the phone feels faster, that could be the offender.

Troubleshooting beyond this gets more complicated, but what is outlined above will find most problems causing sluggish performance

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are also some built in tools related to monitoring memory and memory/management.

First and foremost - settings / apps (or manage apps).
It can show cached processes and running services.

I don't worry about cached processes, the system can easily free up that memory if needed.

I do look very carefully at "running services" as these are taking up higher priority memory (these are not killed/flushed by the system unless there is no other way to free memory). If we get to the point that loading a new foreground application requires flushing a service…that's a tough decision for Android because most of these services are not designed to be killed. Just imagine for example that your launcher service had to be killed to make room for the new app every time you launch a new app… then back to launcher to load itself and launch another app… that would be very slow. Other examples may not be as obvious, but in general we can have unexpected and undesirable consequences when the system is forced to kill running services (which are designed not to be killed).
So how do you know when this is happening? Of course you might notice your phone slowing down or unexpected crashes, but that may be a nebulous / indirect indication. A more direct clue is looking at the "time running" for each of the listed running services. Most of these are designed to load at boot and not unload (you should get familiar with this group of services that load at startup)… so they should show the same time running as time since boot. If you see lower time on one of these services, that's a clue you've got a little too much loaded into your memory and it may be time to try to clear out some of those running services. But NOT by killing them (they'll come back) and not with cache cleaning (short tern). Instead review the items that are perpetually running processes and considering what can be done to trim them back (uninstalling user apps, disabling system apps, sometimes freezing system processes with TiBu root).

Another even more obvious clue of problems sf when you look at a service running time and see continual "restarting". Something is preventing that processes from loading but it keeps trying (bad news). I had that on Samsung's context service... not sure why (maybe result of some mod I have done to my phone). So after googling to find it's not important I froze it with TiBu.

A second (less important) built in tool for examining memory behavior that you probably haven't heard about is hidden within system settings / developer options(*) / "process stats". It can be adjusted to show background, foreground, and cached processes (apps). I tend to focus on background. The stats apply to a period of time which can be adjusted to 3 hours, 6 hours, 12 hours, 1 day (on my phone, at least). The processes are ordered by bar graph, but the meaning or bar length is not immediately apparent (I'll explain). Each process has a % which represents fraction of time running. If you tap on the process you'll see an average and peak memory for that app.. The order and length of the bars in the barbraph represents the product of average memory times percent of time running. So, what processes tend to take up a lot of memory over a lot of time. How important is it? Not sure…so far I haven't gained any big insights about my phone from studying this but it's there for your consideration. Settings also allow excluding system apps from the list (in case you are not rooted and can't do much about them I guess). When you tap on a process it also lists services supporting the process although it can be tough to deduce the link between the low-level service names listed here and the higher-level service names listed in running services.

* to expose the developer options menu, go to settings / about device and tap on "build number" about 7 or 8 times (watch the screen for guidance).

Since I wandered a lot, I'd like to restate what I think is my most critical point - examine the time running of your running services for clues that you may need to cut out (think surgeon, not butcher) some running services.

Upvote 0
Lol Excellent post Pete and one I'm gonna copy/paste for future reference Pete.
Cheers mate
EDIT mailed to myself (my way of storing stuff, should really use a better solution like Keep or something? Suggestions welcome)

No offence to the other repliers but I already knew that stuff. All great info :thumbsupdroid:

Last edited:
Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
And heres my ideea:
You probably have Instagram, WhatsApp, Viber, Facebook and Facebook Messenger installed.
Or at least a few of these. These things togheter and even solo can cause a lot of lag and consume lots of system resources.
I like to use the app Greenify to force stop them when I don't need them. It wont do anything bad. Works automated without root. Try it yourself.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones