lag

Last Updated:

1. kernow999

kernow999 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi

Sometimes my Hero is so slow. I receive a text, with the icon in the notification bar. I slide it down but it can take 10-20 seconds for the message to load. Then I try and type a reply and it is so frustratingly slow, lagging behind.
    Any tips please? I have been so close to throwing it out of the window!

Cheers

Advertisement
  2. SithSurfer

SithSurfer Well-Known Member

Advanced Task Manager is your cure.

3. barnacles

barnacles Well-Known Member

Yes and no. I dont really use task managers anymore from what I've read they can do more harm than good. Clear out some of your text messages if you have a bunch, and clear all your application caches, including the browser if you haven't in a while. Then maybe a restart and see how its going

4. ticho

ticho Well-Known Member

My guess is that you have some rogue application hogging processor cycle and/or memory. Spare Parts and PeakMemUsage apps might help you diagnose more.

5. trick202

trick202 Well-Known Member

I'd agree with that.

The Hero is a very capable device - certainly capable of storing MANY texts etc - I would get rid of recently installed apps systematically.

6. kernow999

kernow999 Member This Topic's Starter

Excellent. I have a few apps so will give that a go.
    Thank you

7. barnacles

barnacles Well-Known Member

Capable of storing them yes, however capable of bogging down the system as well. Really depends how many we are talking about. Its also capable or storing caches to every application for the life of the phone without them ever being cleared. But again, it will slow your phone. If its really bugging you, hard reset it and install your apps one by one and see if you notice any performance increases/decreases after installing. Or as suggested delete them one by one.

From what I have read tho, people complaining about laggy text messages has been an issue with having too many stored on the phone. Overall phone lag has been more of an app issue among other things.

8. johnydoe

johnydoe Active Member

And what is too many messages on the phone? 50,100,1000?! I agree that overall phone lag is the case....

9. shotgunfool

shotgunfool Well-Known Member

Well iv got around 2000 messages and currently no lag on my sms app.

10. johnydoe

johnydoe Active Member

What sms app are you using ? It seems that many users has problems with sms. The problem is related to installed apps. As many you have installed as many problems will occur.... ;)

11. enzydroid

enzydroid Member

My Hero used to suffer with lag using the standard sms app, but I installed HandcentSMS and use that now instead and I no longer suffer with any lag at all (and so far I've got around 700 texts in the system).

I also used to regularly use a task killer, but don't bother anymore (except for the odd app here and there) and I haven't noticed any loss of performance whatsoever.

12. LiamDD

LiamDD New Member

I'm not sure I see the advantage of using Advanced Task Killer. I don't see the difference it makes 90% of the time.

I had shocking lag with the HTC SMS system, as I have with EVERY HTC built in service. I recommend downloading the Handcent SMS application. It's brilliant. It looks better, gives a nice pop up when you get a message, and runs a lot more efficiently.

I tried to delete a thread of over 100 messages using the HTC SMS service and it crashed, and when I say crashed, I mean GLORIOUSLY crashing. Not cool...

13. SithSurfer

SithSurfer Well-Known Member

I'd double that - use HandcentSMS instead of the built in text app and it will most definitely speed your OS up.

14. randynef

randynef Active Member

i love my Hero, but so tired of the lag. When i go to check an email message, it takes about 10 seconds to load......terrible. Any other ideas or help.......

15. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

Clear your caches, reboot your phone regularly, dont keep 1000's of sms's.

16. stoney73

stoney73 Well-Known Member

+1

Ive just had my hero for a couple of months, having swopped a nokia n97 (now there IS a phone that lags.try it on for size) , and provided you re-boot the hero every other day,its quick and responsive.:cool:

17. randynef

randynef Active Member

The frustrating thing is i have done all that. I pull the battery out every day, Idelete emails and other mesages on a regular basis....still a terrible lag.

18. trick202

trick202 Well-Known Member

Compared to what?

19. randynef

randynef Active Member

Again, I like the Hero and the touch screen, I used a Blackberry for a couple of years, the frustration comes when i touch an email message, not exagerating, it takes about 10 seconds to open it.

20. david83

david83 Well-Known Member

reboot daily.

next...

21. randynef

randynef Active Member

Don't need the sarcasm.......your solution has not worked for me. Just seeing if anyone else has a different idea than rebooting.

22. enzydroid

enzydroid Member

What version of ROM are you using? If you're still running the standard 1.73 code I'd recommend downloading an update from HTC. It'll still be Android 1.5, but it should run smoother.

To check the various software builds press menu, settings then scroll down to About Phone and look at the Build number. If that still says 1.73 you should really update your phone, but don't worry, you don't need to worry about rooting your phone, recovery images or anything like that - unless of course you want to start using any number of custom roms that are available, but that's another subject (and forum) entirely!

Hope this helps!

23. randynef

randynef Active Member

Thanks for the help. My build number is 1.61.568.1. I will go to HTC's website and see if i can figure out how to download!

24. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

25. enzydroid

enzydroid Member

It's a piece of cake. Make sure you back up your contacts (using Sync) and if you have a backup app, do a proper backup with that, then just select a ROM to download. It will ask you for your serial number to ensure you download the correct one and then it's just a case of following the install wizard.

I was a bit wary when I first upgraded my phone, but it was quite a painless process.

I would certainly recommend using a different sms app though - make this the first thing you download after doing the upgrade.