• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Laptop Showing Auto Update Issue after Upgrading RAM from 8GB to 12GB: Seeking Assistance

Hello fellow tech enthusiasts,

I hope you're all doing well. Recently, I upgraded the RAM in my laptop from 8GB to 12GB, hoping to enhance its performance and multitasking capabilities. However, I'm now facing an unexpected issue with auto updates, and I'm seeking your assistance and expertise to troubleshoot this problem.
Ever since the RAM upgrade, my laptop is experiencing difficulties with automatic updates. The system no longer installs updates automatically, and I have to manually check for and install updates. This issue is causing inconvenience and potentially leaving my system vulnerable to security risks.

I would greatly appreciate any insights or suggestions on how to resolve this auto update issue. Have any of you encountered a similar problem after a RAM upgrade? If so, how did you address it? Are there any specific settings or configurations that need to be adjusted to ensure smooth auto updates?

I'm also open to general advice on optimizing the performance of a intel evo laptop after a RAM upgrade. Are there any additional steps or considerations I should take to fully leverage the benefits of the increased RAM capacity?

Your assistance and guidance would be highly appreciated. Together, let's troubleshoot and find a solution to this auto update issue, ensuring the smooth functioning of our upgraded laptops.

Thank you in advance for your valuable input and suggestions!

I assume the laptop is running Windows and it has a good solid internet connection. Check the Windows Activation status, Because I've heard a few times that the Windows Activation can sometimes not like changes in a hardware configuration, and it thinks it's been copied onto another PC, when it was only licensed for the original PC it came with.

I don't use Windows myself, but Windows updates can sometimes be troublesome from what I've seen and read. If it doesn't work today, try again later.

Upvote 0
Going from 8GB RAM to 12GB RAM tells me you had a single 8GB stick of RAM and added a single 4GB stick of RAM, is that correct?

You should never mix RAM. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it seems like it worked, but you run testing and you have lowered your performance. If you wanted to upgrade your RAM get two new matching sticks of 8GB RAM and toss the 8GB and 4GB stick.

I use to build a lot of cutting edge computer for myself and gaming friends

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Some would consider lack of auto updates (on Windows 10/11) to be a good thing, especially the unlucky ones who had a system borked from an update installing in the middle of the night. For the short time I tolerated Windows 10 and 11 in my life, I went to great efforts to disable auto updates including registry hacks and WinAero Tweaks. If I wanted to update I used the update assistant, available from Microsoft's website which works in the absence of auto updates working.

Reactions: tammygombez
Upvote 0
Gates hasn't even ran Microsoft for over a decade now. He's not the one involved with the UI post-Windows 8. Ironically I think 7 was the last he had any say in. So in a way, we need Gates back!

I always hated XP though. It had so many annoying 'idiot proof' style 'features' (such as those balloon tips) that can't be turned off. It also had a very ugly UI, that looked like its era, the early 2000s. The early 2000s weren't nearly as well-thought out with 'future design' as the era of 2009-10, so we had attempts to look futuristic that ended up looking cheesy. Think silver highlights on tech, car dashes with fake chrome, fake carbon fiber, weird locations of instrument clusters (my Saturn ION is a great example, as was the Nissan Quest interior), the original interior of the first-gen Honda Ridgeline, wall-mounted CD players, and Windows that reminded me of America Online 8.0.

XP ages poorly while Windows Vista/7 still look amazing. XP at least can be made better with POSReady fixes and the Zune UI theme, but it's still XP underneath.

Reactions: tammygombez
Upvote 0
XP was designed for kindergarten. I mean the things it nags about, complete with a 'pop' sound. I mean it gets rather annoying seeing "this device can perform faster with a USB 2.0 port" on a PC that has no such support for USB 2.0 (HP Pavilion from 2001). Or 'your computer might be at risk' or 'low disk space (no it's not!)' or 'your virtual memory is low, windows is increasing your paging file' or the most common, "new hardware found" (no, I simply plugged the wifi adapter into a different USB port!)

Shut up XP!!!! Heck, I'll stand by my belief that the one version of Windows that's worse than Windows 10 is XP. At least you can disable those pop-up alerts on Windows 10.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones