• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
My advice: don't take it. In order to take the update, you must odin your phone back to the ED4 stock.

I am also rooted, running Eclipse 2.4 with the PBJ kernel. I used Root Browser to edit the /system/build.prop file to stop the update pop up message. I will update eventually, but I'm going to wait for the devs to package this latest update all pretty into their roms and kernels before I do.

http://rootzwiki.com/index.php?/topic/21207-Stop-ota-notification

Upvote 0
Arggh... so if we are ROOTED, but running the stock ROM still -- we cannot accept this update? This thing is driving me nuts, everytime I unlock my phone it has an update alert.

Read the instructions for turning that off, but will have to do it later at best case since I am at work.

Please confirm that ROOTED with stock ROM that I cannot take this update the way things are?

Upvote 0
Not sure if it will soft-brick you if you're rooted on stock. Best case is I'm sure you will loose root as this replaces your kernel with the FP1 kernel.

I know it will boot-loop anr soft brick someone who is rommed (me).

See here for more info: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=23933466

Disabling the update pop up is easy and will take you 2 minutes to do. I'll update my phone once imnuts and nitro mix this update into their kernels and roms which probably wont take long. :D

Upvote 0
Only works if you're rooted. If you don't have Root Explorer, download Root Browser Lite from the market, it's free and works fine for this.

Open the root file manager you have (Root Browser, Root Explorer, etc) and navigate to /system/. If using Root Explorer, mount that directory r/w. Long press on the build.prop file and open with a text editor (root browser has one built in, not sure about Root Explorer). Edit the line in the rootzwiki link I posted. Just change EP4 to FP1. Save the file and reboot your phone. If you don't have data when it boots, reboot again. I only had to reboot once.

That's it.

Upvote 0
Using Root Browser, just fyi.

so:
download install Root Browser
grant superuser permission
scroll down to "system"
open file and find build.prop file
press and hold on it
choose "open in text editor"
locate this line:
ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/SCH-I510/SCH-I510:2.3.6/GINGERBREAD/EP4:user/release-keys
touch it so that keyboard pops up
change EP4 to FP1
save and exit.

Reactions: Shane2943
Upvote 0
Just for info if you take the OTA update to FP1 while rooted on an older method you may glitch your phone to the point where you will need a restore. However, the most common result that I see is just the lose of wifi while everything else works just fine.

So if you want to update to FP1 it is best to restore to stock, take the OTA, then root with one of the latest methods, then ROM if you want the most out of your phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones