• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LauncherPro style dock but still use Sense

Gren

Apr 13, 2010
Is there a way to have a LauncherPro style dock but still using Sense?

I like the way LauncherPro has Web/Phone/Text etc icons along the bottom which frees up screen space. Sense only gives 3 of which the '+' button is pointless as it is just the same as a long press. Would rather avoid changing altogether to LP if at all possible.

It's no huge deal, I don't use much of the sense stuff - just the clock and the music player. It's just that a whole new home app seems to be a bit much just to get a few icons in a dock. Was hoping there was a 'smaller' solution. I assume if I save my Sense scene as I have it now and try LP then if I don't like it I can instantly get back to exactly how the screens were set up before?

Upvote 0
Yeah sure, they run separately from each other so it's simple to switch back. Personally I prefer LP in almost every single way to sense, but give it a go and see if you like it.

Beautiful widgets has a great clock replacement widget that's skinnable and if you donate to LP+ you can get the LP equivalents of the sense widgets like calendar and stuff. I use both and would never go back to the sense launcher now. LP is too configurable!!

Reactions: GrenW
Upvote 0
I assume if I save my Sense scene as I have it now and try LP then if I don't like it I can instantly get back to exactly how the screens were set up before?
Yes, you can. For testing you can leave your Sense setup alone (though saving isn't a bad idea anyway) and just run LP. But if using LP as your main launcher the best advice is to switch Sense to the "Blank Slate" scene before using LP - that way you don't have the widgets from your Sense scene loaded and using resources, but of course it's essential to save your current scene before doing this.

If you wish to switch easily between the two, "home switcher" is often recommended, though as I'm using 2.2 (which the devs say home switcher doesn't work on) I use "clear default home". Both are available on the market.

Reactions: GrenW
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones